What is it about the PL 25/f1.4 lens that makes me want to...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by stealthfixr, Dec 16, 2012.

1. stealthfixr

stealthfixr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Every time I use my Panasonic Leica 25mm/f1.4 lens, I want to sell every zoom I own and buy more primes just like that lens! Is it me, or do any of you all that own a fine prime have the same or similar reaction?

When switching from the Oly 12-50 kit lens and the PL 25/f1.4, I can see the differences in colors alone on the tiny 3" screen on the back of the camera--better saturation, cleaner contrast and just this indescribable *look* that seems unique and oh-so satisfying. The 12-50 is a fine "Do Everything" kit lens, but seems somehow insufficient next to the PL 25mm. I am thinking of selling it and buying the Oly 12/f2.0 instead.

Here's a few from the last couple days in downtown Islamabad, Pakistan--all shot with the PL 25/f1.4. All three have amazing detail in Lightroom when viewed at 1:1. In the case of the bottom two, both were taken handheld at dusk and could only have been possible from a fast, sharp, quick focusing lens of this kind.

• Like Like x 7
  2. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I don't have the PL25, but have the same feeling about the other primes I do have. I have not missed my kit lens since I sold it. Used it about three times and was disappointed every time.

I'd get the 12mm. it's a very fine lens.
  3. AndyT

AndyT Mu-43 Regular

I just broke down and ordered one ... will hopefully have it by the weekend !
  4. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Since I bought my Pany 25, it's usually the lens I keep on the E-M5, it's nice to use manual zooming, and honestly I love the images it produces. That being said couple days ago there was a moose in the front yard, I was quite happy to pull out the zoom! I may be nuts but I'm not crazy :)
  5. stealthfixr

stealthfixr Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Oly/Pany Prime Want List:

Any others??
  6. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    Yup. Sometimes I miss the super compactness of the 20/1.7, but the images out of the 25/1.4 are just stunning. Remarkable colors, sharp, great bokeh. (the only downside I've found is more chromatic aberration than I'd like, but nothing a little tweaking in Lightroom can't fix)
  7. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I would recommend keeping the kit lens and getting the other primes, best of both worlds. Primes certainly beat out kit zooms in many areas but there are those times when you may want the convienience of a zoom; if for nothing else, for snapshots.
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Haven't found my MFT prime that's quite like that, but the Zeiss 50/1.4 and Canon L 35/1.4 and 135/2.0 are very much like that with my 5DII. The Sigma 50/1.4 is great too. But then I use the 24-105L again, and it's still just a fantastic lens so I keep it.

But it doesn't quite have the 'magic' of the primes.
  9. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Yesterday I went out for a country walk with my 14-42 zoom
    and my legacy OM 50 1.8

I thought I would start with the zoom so I could get some more wide landscape shots.
    As soon as I swapped for the OM 50mm I was in photography heaven.
    Quickly focussing and taking great portraits of my lively godson.
    It was like night and day the feeling I get from using those two different lenses.
    The view through the OM is so clear and I can get focus with no problem.
    Also I know that the results will be good.
    Even if they aren't at least I have enjoyed the process.

I hav
  10. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the images that I get from my PL25, however I don't like the FL / FOV. I prefer a much wider FL, the 12mm f2 or the 17.5mm f.95 are the two lense that spend the most time on my OMD.

Stealthfixr, the 12 and the 25 make for a great little two lens kit. I'll ussually add either the 8mm or the PL45 as my travel set up. my 12-50 kit lens only comes long if weather looks questionable on a trip.
  11. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Yep. My PL25 has stayed on my camera 90% of the time since I got it. I love the vignette wide open, the subject separation, and the color/contrast are among the best. A very inspiring lens.
  12. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff
    And you should!

Seriously, m43 combos are so small and handy, and with primes so good like the PL25 and Oly 12, there just aren't many reasons to stick with mediocre zooms.

That's just my opinion.