What is IBIS? ....

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by TheHandyAndy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. TheHandyAndy

TheHandyAndy New to Mu-43

Sep 3, 2011
    .... I have come across this and would love to know what it is as the only other IBIS I know of is a hotel chain.....yes I am new to 4/3....really enjoying getting to know my new panny GF2..

Andrew

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Welcome!

IBIS=In Body Image Stabilization

Fred

3. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    In Body Image Stablization

2 types of stablization, in body (sensor shift etc) or in lens. Panasonic stablizes some of their lens in lens vs. Olympus which stablizes in body so any lens is stablized.

You can't use both a the same though .. you have to turn off one approach.

4. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    And I am enjoying it a lot on my E-PL2 :)

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Your GF-2 doesn't have IBIS. You need to get lenses with OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) to use IS on the GF-2.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yes you can. No issues with the two systems confusing each other. Whether it makes any improvement is debatable though. I use a 45-200 on my EP2 all the time and never turn off the IBIS. Too lazy to hunt through the menus.

Gordon

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    IBIS makes this possible:

Taken with my E-PL1, 1/5 second, ISO 200, handheld:

downtown2-9049778.

That's a 100% crop. Here's the full image:
    downtown-9049778.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    IBIS helped a lot but there is still some shake.. I would have bumped the iso to 400 and decreased the shutter speed to 1/10th if you had the chance to retake the shot at that moment.

9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Some shake, I don't know about that. There's some noise because there was very little light. I actually DID take several shots at higher ISO and I found this one was the best--you know, the tradeoff of noise vs. detail. I always find that photos I post on here (reduced in size) always suggest less detail than can be seen in the actual full-size image; perhaps that's going on here as well.

I probably shouldn't have highjacked this thread, sorry. I just wanted to make the point that IBIS (or any IS system) can be incredibly helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I'm certainly not a good enough photographer to turn down any help I can get!

10. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Hey Mellow,

Curious, under those circumstances, were you able to address how much of a stop improvement you go with IBIS vs. it being turned off since you tried a number of different exposure settings?

11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I"m not sure I understand the question. I tried several different shutter speeds, but of course when the shutter speed went down the ISO went up, and noise was added. That's what I was trying to say. I find with the E-PL1 (and the other pens, I think) that there's a big dropoff in dynamic range with higher ISO, in addition to the noise, so I always try to minimize the ISO. At night the shadows especially will be noisy, even at low ISO. So, anyway, what I was trying to say was that I tried several combinations of shutter speed + iso and found I got the best shot at ISO 200.

12. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Was just curious if you tried any of that scene with the IBIS turned off and seeing what happened to the shutter speed or iso depending on in what mode you were shooting in.

Its often reported a 3-4 stop improvement with IBIS on but I personally haven't really ever tested it myself. Hmmm... maybe something to do today ;-)

13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Oh, OK, I understand. No, I haven't tried it, but I've shot a lot with the 20mm f/1.7 (no OIS) and the G-1 (no IBIS) and I never, never, ever got a sharp picture at less than about 1/20 second. I'll be the first to concede my hands aren't very steady, but this is about right--normal rule-of-thumb is 1/FF-equivalent focal length, so with the 20mm it would be 1/40. So maybe I get lucky and hold things steady at twice that speed once in a while. But I can pretty much promise that if I took 100 shots at 1/5 of a second that all 100 of them would be blurry--without any IS.

Again, if you have steadier hands you may be able to do better. But then again, you'd be able to do better with IBIS/OIS as well.

14. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    A wading bird considered sacred by the ancient Egyptians :wink: