What is a good backup to the OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SpecFoto, Nov 23, 2012.

1. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    I have the OMD and the lenses in my sig, love the system. Will be traveling to Thailand and Cambodia with the OMD only and 6 lenses in early Dec. I am a little bit worried as I don't have another M4/3 body and don't want to bring my Nikon gear, just stay with the M/4/3. Have room in the bag for another body, what might make a good backup to the OMD?

Would like to keep the body cost down to a few hundred, as unless there is a problem with the OMD, it won't be used.

How about the Panasonic G3? I see it has 16MP, tilt screen, EVF and a pop up flash. Seems good to me, but besides not having IBIS, what other shortcomings are there? It is on sale at B&H for a reasonable price, but includes a lens I already have covered by Oly.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Digital Camera Kit (Black) DMC-G3KK B&H

Any other suggestions? I should mention that photo quality and the ability to shoot raw are very imortant to me.

Thanks, Jim
  2. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    I picked up an EPM1 as a used refurb from Cameta with the kit lens for $240 a couple months ago for the same purpose. It has been a great 2nd camera to have when I just want something small with a pancake lens to carry in a jacket pocket.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    $449 USD gets you the OMD-sensored E-PM2 body only...(Black Friday Price)...
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 on the E-PM2, or E-PL5.

A couple reasons I like the idea of them for an OM-D backup. First, the sensor will perform exactly the same. Gives nothing up to the OM-D and you will know how far you can push highlights, etc.

Secondly, the user interface is the same. Fewer physical buttons, of course, but I think it would be easier to go back and forth between a PEN and an OM-D... a bit more fluid.

The last reason a PEN is appealing to me as a backup, is that in its smallest form (without VF attached), it makes for a compact carry, jacket-pocketable, kit option.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I like the idea of a second body with different capabilities and even a different type of output. Until it pooped itself the other day my GH1 was an excellent companion to the E-M5 and I think that I'll get another one to replace it.
  6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd argue for another E-M5 =) But reality doesn't let you always do that. My G3 serves as the backup and IBIS is probably the biggest factor. IQ wise, I feel it's pretty close. Button control is a bit lacking though, and possibly ergonomics. Eye sensor if you use that (I stick to manual on both, so I don't care).

But if the budget can go up, the E-PM2 and E-PL5 are certainly better options (used GH2 as well, just missed a $500 body deal I think on amazon) . It is hard to ignore the used G3 market. Sucks for us owners, but the resale value just isn't there. I feel it's rather underrated personally.
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    OM-D, not as a backup, but as a second body ... Long on one ... wide on the the other. Increases your keeper rate and diminishes your missed shots for most any genre with some action.

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Thanks for the suggestions, seems I have some studying up to do. Got to admit, I know nothing of these smaller body cameras.

Not really interested in a "point and shoot" type body, I want a full form body that fits into my hands like the OMD with grip, plus a viewfinder. With Olympus it seems the OMD is it and I would love a 2nd body, but not right now. Panasonic has a lot of options, including the G3, so that is where I will be looking to save some $$.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    It doesn't really fit into "backup" because it's more of a complement, but I'm very happy with a G5. Having one from each side of the m4/3 family helps with lens idiosyncracies and IS issues, among other things.
  10. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    I did the same: I bought a body-only EPM1 at Cameta, as I didn´t wanted the kit lens. It´s so small that it fits in an external pocket of my bag :smile:
  11. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    I was just reading an review article about the G5. Not a whole lot of differences between it and the G3, but the auto switchable viewfinder to Lcd could be an issue, as I use this feature a lot on the OMD. Re the lens issues, yes I know about that. I bought a PL 25mm f/1.4 but it just would not get along with my OMD. Buzzed all the time and ate the battery up in about an hour. Tried all kinds of things to make it right, but in the end I sadly returned it. My 3 other Pany lenses are just fine on the OMD. Having a body from each brand might be best way to go.
  12. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    When I went to Asia last year I got the EPM1 for the backup to my E-P2 (it was a pre-E-M5 trip) and I shot both a lot, as it saved me from changing lenses. A nice camera, and cheap now that the EPM2 has hit the shelves. A used or refurbished E-P2 would be my personal choice, for the easier controls, even if it does have an older sensor. So if I left for a trip tomorrow I'd take my E-M5 and my E-P2, and 3 or 4 lenses.
  13. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have a GH-2 and OM-D — former has better use of sensor real estate when switching aspect ratios; latter has brilliant IS for my lenses that lack such, and radically fast auto focus when used. Both are great performers. I agree with GaryAyala, it is great to have two bodies, each with a different focal length, so you don't have to keep swapping lenses while out and about. I also have an EP-2, but that is only 12MPx and the sensor is inferior at anything above ISO 400 compared with the GH2 and EM-5. I would say get the best 2nd body you can afford. All the best.
  14. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    If just for a trip, buy a used OM-D and sell post trip.
  15. limpeh09

limpeh09 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2012
    Panasonic DMC Lx-7 or Olympus XZ-2 would be a great backup.
  16. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    I picked up a EPL5, same IQ on a smaller and lighter packet, with a pancake on almost a pocketable P&S
  17. MikeinAlexandria

MikeinAlexandria Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2012
    I bought a brand new E-PM1 in Asia for $229, body only. Since I had just sold of my E-P1 and E-P3, the PM-1 was essentially free and I have the matching Olympus brown leather half case and strap for it. Nice little camera when used with the 20mm F1.7! 12mp is plenty good for snapshots.
  18. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    My vote would be for the epm1 or if money can stretch that far the epm2. Small and sleek it could offer something slightly different for when you need it to be pocketable, but still has good IQ and familiarity of menus with your OMD.
  19. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    I have a GH2 as my second camera body...I use the OMD-5 for photographs, and the
    GH2 for video when I want both. I am comfortable using either camera in almost all situations.
  20. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    For me it was a 2nd OM-D! :rofl: