What iPad raw edit program to use?

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hi.
Tried to scan the forum for a thread about this, but can’t find any.

What is the best program for editing raw files on a iPad?

I do not want a monthly subscription.

Would be great if it’s possible to select small spots (in example change the color of the sky, trees etc etc).
As far as I can figure out, the “edit photos”, with the pictures app that is built in iOS, won’t let me do that.
That one changes the color of the entire picture, not possible to change small things.
And I’m uncertain if it can handle raw. :)

Any tips on what to use?

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Best is too subjective without defined metrics.

Lightroom
Photoshop
On1 Photo Raw mobile
Affinity Photo
Pixelmator

You can probably find more in the App Store.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I find Lightroom by far the best. It's basically the laptop experience minus a few features and also syncs back to lightroom. It requires a subscription though and I can understand if you do not want that.

I've used Affinity Photo before I succumbed and upgraded LR6 to CC. It is of a photoshop replacement and very powerful on the iPad. It can do everything you want and more, but it is not an easy software to master. It is also not a DAM with Raw editor so you can only open a limited amount of files at a time. It's not the smooth skipping through files and editing that we all know and love from iPad. I don't know if On1 PhotoRaw mobile offers that kind of workflow on the iPad though.
I tried Pixelmator ages ago and didn't like it. Don't remember what exactly but I don't think it's even in the same league as Affinity or Lightroom.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I find Lightroom by far the best. It's basically the laptop experience minus a few features and also syncs back to lightroom. It requires a subscription though and I can understand if you do not want that.

I've used Affinity Photo before I succumbed and upgraded LR6 to CC. It is of a photoshop replacement and very powerful on the iPad. It can do everything you want and more, but it is not an easy software to master. It is also not a DAM with Raw editor so you can only open a limited amount of files at a time. It's not the smooth skipping through files and editing that we all know and love from iPad. I don't know if On1 PhotoRaw mobile offers that kind of workflow on the iPad though.
I tried Pixelmator ages ago and didn't like it. Don't remember what exactly but I don't think it's even in the same league as Affinity or Lightroom.
Totally agree about Affinity Pro. Very powerful, but very much a pain in the ass. I only use it when I feel I have to at this point. File management is horrible. I'm sure if I used it every day it would be fine, but I don't.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don't really know of any good alternative with decent file management for iPad except LR Mobile...

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There’s a lot of love towards Lightroom, and I do understand that.
But as far as I know, that has a monthly subscription, and therefore is not a option.
I subscribe at too much already.
Trying to keep my monthly subscription fees to a minimum. :)

Real Name
David
There’s a lot of love towards Lightroom, and I do understand that.
But as far as I know, that has a monthly subscription, and therefore is not a option.
Trying to keep my monthly subscription fees to a minimum. :)
I purchase outright as well. In these precarious times, I can carry on using DXO until the computer dies but if i subscribed to LR and fell on very hard times then I'd be without an editor.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I used to buy magazines. If I cannot get them for free on the internet and through RB digital, I do not bother. I have always had Photoshop, having bought a copy when I got the new XP computer. Having the iPad pro 12.9’, I bought Affinity, bought a new laptop, subscribe to PS and LR and get good versions for the ipad and phone. Cloud is a bonus and Adobe just works. Yesterdays updates went well. good instructions, free updates and I dont bother reading Luminar problems anymore.

Real Name
David
This is a very useful thread. Ive been considering an iPad Pro for some while but did not realise that it would limit my choices as much as it appears and similarly was unaware what a PITA Affinity can be. I hope DXO makes a compatible version soon. Thanks, folks.

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
- Affinity Photo
- Pixelmator Photo

I am a LR/PS subscriber, but I would never use the iPad LR app, to be honest. It's total garbage compared to the full Mac app. I usually do my RAW editing in LR on the Mac (because I still love the RAW workflow in LR Classic), then export as .tif and edit them in Affinity. I learned Affinity before I became a LR subscriber and thanks to powerful Affinity iPad app (which is the same as the Mac app, not like PS on iPad which is an embarrassment for Adobe), I can seamlessly edit the same image across devices (sync via Dropbox).

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
similarly was unaware what a PITA Affinity
Despite me criticising the workflow that Affinity requires on the iPad I think this wording does not do it justice. Affinity Photo is a photo editor the same way that Photoshop is. It is not a raw editor like LR is. You would not want to go through a whole photo trip in photoshop either, yet people wouldn't call the photoshop workflow a PITA. It's just a different process for different kinds of work. Before I had LR Mobile I would only edit a view selected pictures while on trips so I could send them to friends and family as post cards. If you're not editing hundreds of pictures on the iPad Affinity photo is extremely powerful and if I want to do any pixel level editing (removing an electric pole or whatever) I continue to use it.

but I would never use the iPad LR app, to be honest. It's total garbage compared to the full Mac app.
I am quite surprised by this statement. There are only a few select features that are not available on the LR mobile version (most advanced masking features, merge pano/hdr, maybe a few minor features I missed). It also (probably the most annoying) does not carry over any tags you make into the LR Classic catalogue. At least that was the case last I checked, but I don't think it's been fixed. A huge oversight for sure, but certainly not a deal breaker.

I would not use it as my only LR version (going fully LR CC and not Classic) but with the syncing between Desktop and Mobile it is by far the best mobile raw editing solution I know of and none of the other suggestions that have been made in this thread (pixelmator, snapseed) can compete. I am afraid that the whole cloud/syncing stuff which makes LR mobile so attractive is actually only possible because of the subscription (which I only begrudgingly pay).

I just bought Affinity, at $20 I consider it free compared to all the subscription editors. The one thing it has is an entire video library of ‘how to do’ almost anything with it. I was impressed by this one feature that is almost always missing from apps. I haven’t started to really dig into it yet. We’ll see how the workflow thing works out.........

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I just bought Affinity, at $20 I consider it free compared to all the subscription editors. The one thing it has is an entire video library of ‘how to do’ almost anything with it. I was impressed by this one feature that is almost always missing from apps. I haven’t started to really dig into it yet. We’ll see how the workflow thing works out.........
Lr Mobile has a ‘Learn’ tab at the bottom with lots of content that sounds similar to what you describe. Interested in Affinity though, will explore it.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Affinity is worth it even if you use LR mobile. Personally I also use Affinity on my mac instead of PS, even though it is included in the bundle I pay for.

danelkins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Check out Darkroom. You work with it for free and then pay a small amount for the full version if you like it. It works right from the iPad Photos app which is really nice as the Photos app is well organized and easy to understand – and iCloud based to keep photos available on all Apple devices.

Trying to keep my monthly subscription fees to a minimum.
I actually don’t like to have any subscriptions at all. However, now that I use my iPad 95% of the time I succumbed to subscribing to Lightroom Mobile. It just works for me. I find it all very familiar and very easy to use with great results weather I want a quick fix or something more in depth.

I might turn on my Windows desktop once a month now. I used to use ACDsee and DXO primarily. What got me was having to update the software almost annually. Look at the cost of that - comes out to more than the monthly fee for LR mobile.

Maybe think of dumping some other subscription so you don’t feel bad about subscribing to LR mobile?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
I've done quite a bit of exclusive editing on iPad Pro over the recent years, and it has only gotten better. Affinity Photo is a very powerful app, especially for the money. It was my "go to" app when plain Photos wouldn't do. You can actually do quite a bit with iPadOS these days, and Photos can handle all the basic edits pretty well, it's when you want to get into advanced edits (blemish fixes, sky replacements, layers, stacking, etc) that you need something more advanced, IMO. I recently printed a photo edited entirely in iPad Photos that I printed to 11 x 17, and the print looks pretty good to me.

danelkins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the final choice is influenced by how much editing is being done on the iPad as compared to a computer. A heavy user is more likely to prefer Affinity, LR or Pixelmator Pro while occasional users might go towards Darkroom, ACDsee or Snapseed. I have been looking more towards Apps that can synchronize through the standard Photos app so I can easily integrate with my iMac and iCloud.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom