What Images are Expected of Members

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bidkev, Feb 8, 2018.

1. I've recently joined after a return to M4/3 and have spent a fair bit of time clicking on pics that I like for info as they show no exif on the forum. Some of these pics are exceptional for M4/3, which is why I look for the exif (to learn) and if hosted at flickr I hope to see with what gear, and how those pics have been achieved. A few of them satisfy my curiosity, but many of them show no exif at flickr either...........Call me cynical, Call me Doubting Thomas, In fact, call me anything you like :) but based on IQ and format, and yes, I know that M4/3 can be cropped to a format such as 6x4, and that M4/3 lens IQ is superb in some lenses, but my guess is, that quite a few of them are not M4/3.

So?..............is it OK/Allowed to post images other than M4/3 in a generalised thread that is simply titled "Street Photography" or is it expected, this forum being named what it is, that only M4/3 images should be posted?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    While there are a handful of posters who share photos fom multiple systems, I would venture to guess that 90%+ of the shared images on the site are m4/3. Most members here are happy to share the details, if you ask them.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    This has been bought up before and has mixed responses.
    While most people expect images posted to be fro Mu-43 the only restricted topics as far as I know are the camera and lens show case threads. Not sure about challenges and competitions.

Some people post in the general threads with a note about the gear used if not Mu-43.

There are some threads for non Mu-43 gear as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Oh I don't doubt that. The ones I look for the exif of are of exceptional IQ and it's those that I'm asking about, merely to know if it's OK to post non M4/3 in generalised threads such as "street" or beach" threads not relating specifically to an M4/3 piece of kit. I always post my exif with my images so that there is no question as to how they were derived and to inform others

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    I'd venture to guess that 90%+ of THOSE are m 4/3, too. I'm continually amazed and inspired by some of the work that members here do, but I've not personally seen a single photo on here that couldn't be done with m4/3. It might just require the photog to be a little more skilled, or have more patience, use good light, get closer, get fewer keepers, etc than might be required with a bigger system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    The site administrators have specifically said that it is permitted to post images from any format on these "topical" threads. I have to agree that most of these are probably m43. For some period, the forum's upload software was stripping out EXIF, so some of the older images may be missing data. As far as aspect ratio goes, I regularly post square, 3:2 and 16:9 images which I crop from 4:3 and while my images are hardly of exceptional IQ, I would think that others do so as well.

Also, this is a friendly forum and if you have questions, ask. In my experience, people are usually happy to post EXIF and other technique related information when asked.

[Edit]
    I like that you are adding EXIF notes to your images. Can I suggest a single line format separated by commas rather than the bullets? I do this when I feel that EXIF adds information to the image such as in: Share: High ISO MFT Photography and Moon shoots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

...and why would someone go to all the bother of using a larger size sensor, scrub their exif data and claim to be shooting in m4/3...? :hmmm:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Who said that they were claiming to shoot inM4/3? I didn't! I just said that there was no exif data. That doesn't mean they've "scrubbed it" it simply means they haven't set their camera, or flickr, to show it. Why is their business not mine but I always share my exif not only as a reminder to myself as to where the shot originated from but in the hope that if someone considers a shot of mine worth appraising, they can see how i achieved it.

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know

Will do. I've simply been copying and pasting from flickr exif

9. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I personally wouldn’t want to post my m4/3 shots on APSC or FF specific forum, even if it was allowed. Wouldn’t make any sense to me. I’m here because I use m4/3 gear and prefer to see photos taken with the same size sensor. If I am interested in other formats, I go to the other forums listed on top or FM. But that is just me. What is your reasoning for wanting to post those photos on mu43.com? Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    When posting multiple photos of a trip / anything, you may have taken pictures with several bodies, and mix the pictures in the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I do it all the time. Either EM1 or from my EM5 mark2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Regular

Well....because it exists, doesn't mean it's right. If you have to ask......well. There's a difference between what you can do what you should do. That's just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. What the two above posters said, plus, I would think that anyone posting in a wildlife or birding forum (as just two examples) would likely be as interested in seeing images of those species taken from any camera. Their interest obviously lies in those subjects and not just M4/3 format. OK, so it's a M4/3 forum but doesn't that mean it's primarily a photography forum? Posting full frame images of those subjects purely on a (primarily) full frame forum limits their availability to those using other formats who may be interested in the subject matter as much, if not more than the medium. That could apply to any thread devoted to a subject, as opposed to a camera format, be it street, landscape, or anything. I'm simply trying to gauge what is, and isn't acceptable

14. So who decides what "you should do". Isn't "should" subjective?

To quote an above poster "The site administrators have specifically said that it is permitted to post images from any format on these "topical" threads"

So if it's permitted, wherein lies the "should or shouldn't"?

15. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    And you could also have one m43 body & one other.

Personnally, I would always specify when posting a non m43 picture, though.
    I generally specify exifs anyway. I don't think it adds anything to the picture, but on a gear forum, people are generally interested in what gear have been used to take a picture (and I certainly do).

• Like Like x 1
  16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, Amin (the site owner) has said, repeatedly, all images are welcome in the non-gear specific threads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    A Nikon forum i used for a lot of years before i saw the light :biggrin: had a mouse over facility so if the Exif was left in the image it could be read with a mouse over, i used a exifreader in firefox but it started to do silly things so scrapped it, i have been known to post none m4/3 images but i always apologise at the time ;).
    Being honest i cant be bothered to enter the Exif so i now link to Flickr a lot and my Exif is on there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I see it as being lazy, for most instances, where Exif data or mention of gear used is missing.
    I find it respectful to other on this Forum to include as much relevant data as possible (without being pedantic) since I feel it's a great learning platform, as well as sharing (or boasting).
    I have learned really a lot here and it's mostly from images and members that care enough in creating images that are worth admiring.
    For images that are just snapshots, personally I couldn't care less if they are taken with a mobile phone; to me that is just noise. :rolleyes:
    But a compelling image always makes me pause and admire, then wonder what technique was used to create it.
    Modern lenses with contacts will write Exif data to the image, while adapted and manual focus lenses most time lack that.
    I try to include information in the description of my images so anyone can easily see what was used. Shutter speed and camera is usually written on the Flickr link.

But I have also noticed that some members are now uploading almost exclusively images NOT taken with Micro 4/3 cameras and not sharing that info freely.
    I do understand that this Forum is quite possibly the friendliest place on the Internet :friends: and those members can not find a similar place to share their images elsewhere, so they stick around?
    I just hope the trend doesn't continue where the shift will be from the (estimated) 90% of images being Micro 4/3 to a mixed bag where I will no longer know what and how an image was created.
    "Anything goes" dilutes my experience here :(

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I just wish that we had a similar system to DPreview here where you just have to put your mouse pointer over the image to get the EXIF data.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  20. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    as long as that would not include the "extra friendly and civilized" vibe of that Forum :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3