What if Panasonic releases three new cameras between 3rd quarter 2021 and 2cd Qarter 2022?

Which one would you buy?

• Gh6

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • G10

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Gx10

Votes: 36 61.0%

• Total voters

Mu-43 Legend
Would likely be sorely tempted to finally upgrade from my GX7 to a GX10, but also will be looking at an M1x iMac so depends on how rich I am feeling...
M1 Mac is da bomb. My little MBA M1 is fantastic and never gets hot, though if you are running a desktop maybe heat is not something that matters as much

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
The poll is missing “none of the above”. Reason being??

My GX9, devoted to travel, is all I need. No interest in replacing it.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Because I didn't think it was relative. I am interested in how many folks are looking to upgrade and from what. Manny Olympus owners seen to think that Panasonic will dump M43, but I believe that M43 Panasonic cameras will be around and was wondering who would be in the market for an upgrade. That is the reason. Once the FF folks like Canon and Nikon get a good mix of cameras I think we are looking at the industry going to a 3-4 year release between models, like the G9. If they plan and have some hidden capabilities that are "turned on" with an software update (like the G9) it will make the company more profit per unit because over time the cost of production should come down (used to be called a "cash cow), currently I don't think there are any cash cows). Sony has a lot of older models for sale but perhaps that is just over production.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Well, a G10 would be nice but would consider a GX10 as well for lighter carrying around.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
M1 Mac is da bomb. My little MBA M1 is fantastic and never gets hot, though if you are running a desktop maybe heat is not something that matters as much
And its probably way faster and runs way cooler than my Intel 8 core i9 MBP that I paid $4k for early last year :doh:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Probably marginally slower and significantly cooler. The M1X that will come out this year will be way faster and still significantly cooler though, so that's what I'm waiting for. Also apparently it will have HDMI out, SD card slots and all that other i/o goodness. Obviously it's all rumours so far, but if they are all true, it will finally be a replacement for my 2014 MPB that does not come with any downsides like losing hdmi/sd card/USB ports/Mag Safe and actual function keys).

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
What are the limits in terms of MP for Panasonic and Panasonic Lumix lenses. Is this why vintage lenses look different?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I am the happy owner of a GX80. I have had it for over 4 years. It has been to Europe, islands off the coast of Africa, Russia, Scandinavia and China and used constanly. It has not let me down, apart from sometimes getting through 3 of its 4 batteries. I bought it as a kit, but have not really used the 12-32 and 35-100 kit lenses. I found I was constantly changing them over, so bought the P14-140mm. A great everyday carry/hiking lens. I bought the P100-300mm. I then bought the PL15 which is brilliant, probably my most used lens in China. I can happiliy shoot all day with this lens. Wanting a bit wider, I bought the P7-14mm. It has taken some great photos and is great indoors on a tripod, esp in churches, but without a tripod, so used on a carry tripod in a sling/pouch by Cullman from 1976. I use the O60mm lens for most of my macro work. Auto tubes and a Raynox 250, whick is generally carried around with whatever camera and lenses I have at the time. A P20 and P42.5mm, both f1.7 fill in the gaps. I would like a P20mm, but find it too slow. I would like an O75mm, but too expensive. I would like a Laowa 7.5mm f2, but too expensive and I have the uwa zoom. I have tried both 12-60mm’s. I have tried the G9, great evf. And GX9, but found not much benefit to the photographs. If my GX80 faied tomorrow, I would replace it with a GX9 the next day. BUT I AM WAITING FOR SOMETHING BETTER. I have been waiting 2 years for an evolved G9/GX9. No rush. 30mp, joystick, 3 way LCD screen like the S1r. I have too many lenses to jump ship, did I mention my 9 legacy Pentax lenses, Plus the 4 legacy Pentax 110 lenses on adapters and the Sigma 600mm cat. The 18mm and 70mm Pentax lenses on adapters are rather good. Waiting.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I do a lot of macro and find the articulated screen extremely useful. I went the G9's because I shoot at least 40% video and the last software upgrade made the G9 a killer video camera if you don't shoot single camera long events. These 2 G9's should take me another 2 or 3 years and by then everything will be sorted out. Depending on what the Gh6 is I might buy one but that would be the last camera for a long time.

@71 the G9's might even be the last cameras for me:)

Real Name
Mike
I do a lot of macro and find the articulated screen extremely useful. I went the G9's because I shoot at least 40% video and the last software upgrade made the G9 a killer video camera if you don't shoot single camera long events. These 2 G9's should take me another 2 or 3 years and by then everything will be sorted out. Depending on what the Gh6 is I might buy one but that would be the last camera for a long time.

@71 the G9's might even be the last cameras for me:)
Interesting - I do a lot of macro work too but I choose to do it on the GX80 not the G9 because I find the tilting screen is much more intuitive and therefore useful whereas the fully articulaed screen is very unintuitive for me. I guess I don't find that many subjects that demand lying on the ground and composing in portrait mode. Yes some do occur occasionally but I'm happy to use the screen flat not tilted and the landscape mode far outweigh them. I'll make a post in a minute about landscape/portrait.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I guess I don't find that many subjects that demand lying on the ground and composing in portrait mode. Yes some do occur occasionally but I'm happy to use the screen flat not tilted and the landscape mode far outweigh them. I'll make a post in a minute about landscape/portrait.

I talk a lot of landscape images of fossils (no portrait mode images) and when working on a table I often am seated and need the full articulation to seen what I am imaging.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
The screen thing is a personal choice, I wish camera companies offered two different options on their pro models- an articulating and tilty options.

Compact rangefinders should only have tilty + portrait IMO.

Phocal

God
The screen thing is a personal choice, I wish camera companies offered two different options on their pro models- an articulating and tilty options.

Compact rangefinders should only have tilty + portrait IMO.

Or they could do like Pentax (I believe that's who it was) and design one that does both.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Still waiting. Apart from the GH5 II. Nothing. Even promises from Olympus under their new name. An 020mm, could be interesting.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Mine has changed. A Sony A7IV. Not for megapickles, or for FF, or anything other than focusing. Panasonic's focusing system is excellent for static and slow action shots (with decent contrast), probably one of the best is the business, but sucks for fast action...big time. There's nothing more frustrating than a $1500 lens searching for focus while your target scoots out of sight. That may be unpopular, but there it is. I'm not all giddy about this change, I'm looking at thousands of $ in lenses.

Now then, there have been rumors since this thread was originated that the new GH6 will have a hybrid focusing system ala Sony with both phase and contrast. Should that come about along with an updated sensor, I would have to rethink. A new Panny M-4/3 body and a 10-25/1.7 would scratch my itch and be just the ticket. I may be incorrect, but I think an M-4/3 sensor and 1.7 would give me about the same light as a FF and 2.8.

I do hope, however, the new sensor isn't 43 MP as rumored. That may be fine for some but it's way too much for me. Something between 24 and 30 would be perfect IMO. I don't need a resource hog for my hobby. Even the current object of my affection is rumored at 33MP. A little more than I'd like to see but not awful.

Another factor will be DR. Will the new M-4/3 sensor be vastly improved? If memory serves it is rumored to be a new Sony stacked sensor, yes? Will they be able to approach the rumored 15 stops of DR coming in the A7IV?

So, what's it come down to? Both camera's specs are rumored, both have yet to be released, and I'd be willing to bet both announcements are being delayed by the chip shortage. They are both rumored to be released yet this year, but I'm betting even pre-orders won't get one in-hand until February or March. If one releases way before the other, it will affect my decision. In either case, I have no plans to dump my M-4/3 kit. Not now way, not no how.

That's an awful lot of rumors, ain't it? The closer these two get the more accurate the rumors will become. But until they're announced and we can see the specs, no one knows for sure. In either case both cameras are going to be light years ahead of the current crop.

At least that's the RUMOR! :whistling:

Mu-43 Legend
Canon or Sony provide the best AF but please tell me you’ve at least tried the G9 with the latest FW. I had as many keepers on the G9 as I did on the Nikon z5 when I tested them both, though from what I see canon and Sony are a clear step above both

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Canon or Sony provide the best AF but please tell me you’ve at least tried the G9 with the latest FW. I had as many keepers on the G9 as I did on the Nikon z5 when I tested them both, though from what I see canon and Sony are a clear step above both
Actually, the latest firmware update was the final straw. It cannot do what a hybrid system can do. I was very excited to see that the latest firmware would give the G9 the same capabilities as the S5. I had been thinking about an S5 and was pretty set on it after Panny's announcement of the $2500 video-bloated GH6 body. With no new G-series body in the offing, I figured why spend $2500 on a new M-4/3 body when I can get a FF and my first lens for about the same, or even less. So I updated the firmware and headed off to the air show, only to be just as frustrated as before.

This has all been documented in previous posts, to the point that I feel like I'm beating the proverbial dead horse when discussed. In order to be on the same page we need to define what an action shot is. There are many different types, from a dog or kid running around the backyard to a backlit airplane in a featureless sky. In the first case, Panny's DFD Contrast based focus is indeed more than enough, especially with animal/person detect. In the second, phase detect is much, much better. Having both on-board in the form of a hybrid system is the key.

To your original comment, Cannon has the fastest focus in a DSLR. I am not interested in a DSLR. Sony is the unchallenged king in mirrorless. As stated in my previous, if Panny can do that (and there's no reason they shouldn't be able to, given that they're supposed to be using a Sony Sensor) then I'd be good to go. There are three things that FF will never ever be able to match on M-4/3, reach, price, and size. I am a zoom shooter, I love reach. The thought of having a huge-ass, heavy, expensive lens that gets me 3/4 of the reach of my 100-400 isn't really all that exciting. Any gain I have in megapixles will get used up in cropping.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
Because I didn't think it was relative. I am interested in how many folks are looking to upgrade and from what. Manny Olympus owners seen to think that Panasonic will dump M43, but I believe that M43 Panasonic cameras will be around and was wondering who would be in the market for an upgrade. That is the reason. Once the FF folks like Canon and Nikon get a good mix of cameras I think we are looking at the industry going to a 3-4 year release between models, like the G9. If they plan and have some hidden capabilities that are "turned on" with an software update (like the G9) it will make the company more profit per unit because over time the cost of production should come down (used to be called a "cash cow), currently I don't think there are any cash cows). Sony has a lot of older models for sale but perhaps that is just over production.
Then you should have posted what you meant. What you posted was very different.

Latest threads

Top Bottom