1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What icon is this?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Jan 19, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    On the upper right corner of the screen, looks like a screen with little stars in the upper right corner. It comes on when I power up the camera, then disappears.

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The consensus seems to be that it's the sensor cleaning notification.

3. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yep it's the sensor cleaning at work. Which adds to the "boot" time of the camera before you can take a picture.

Not sure why Olympus does this on startup; other camera manufacturers (Canon & Panasonic) do this when you turn the camera off, which IMO is better as this leads to faster bootup times.

4. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    take pics with dirty sensor and clean up the mess if by chance you suspected it? :)

but, ya you dont need to do it every time.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    There's nothing like closing the barn door after the horse has left.

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    That's exactly what the sign means: The ultrasonic dust reduction system at work.

The reason that it works at start up rather than when shutting down is to prevent dust from landing on the sensor during lens changes... Canon and Nikon DSLRs have mirror protecting the sensor and shutter in default closed position, so this is less of an issue, and they can perform the sensor cleaning when shutting down to reduce the start-up time...

7. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The funny thing is that in my E-PL1 manual, the icon is labeled as "Picture Mode."

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It appears my Panasonic does cleaning on shut-down, too, and I've had no dust issues with it. It would be nice if Oly at least gave you a choice between cleaning on start-up or faster start-up. My EOS does that.

I've also never understood why Oly and Panasonic don't close the shutter when the camera is powered down, or when the lens release button is depressed while the camera is powered on. That would help protect the sensor from dust during lens changes.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's because they used the same shutter mechanism as the m4/3 DSLRs in Live View, which in LV mode is always open, except right before capturing the shot. A redesigned shutter would fix this, but presumably for reasons of cost, they haven't bothered. I agree that it would be a nice change.

DH

10. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That makes sense... except my GF2 does the sensor cleaning on shutdown. :smile:

I agree having an option to do it on startup or shutdown would be optimal. I mean, the Oly cameras have 9,453 options in their menus. What's one more? :rofl:

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Why would you want to clean the sensor after you have already taken a card full of exposures with a dirty sensor, only to have the camera clean the sensor during shutdown. Pretzel logic, doesn't make sense. Option not required.

12. starlabs

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's not pretzel logic. You design for the most often use-case scenarios.

For most users of m43 cameras, I suspect NOT changing lenses in dirty areas is the more common use-case. So, making the user WAIT on bootup for sensor cleaning JUST IN CASE your sensor is dirty is wasteful, time-wise. All that time adds up, and also increases the chance you'll miss that shot because your camera is cleaning the sensor.

If you're in a particularly dirty area and are switching lenses and suspect you might have dust, turn your camera on and then off. Or... like I suggested earlier if there was an option to clean it on startup or shutdown, then it's win-win.