What I really want / need in a 4/3rd's camera

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by EricRose, Jul 24, 2014.

1. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    I want a m4/3 camera that has both IBIS and a microphone jack. Is that asking to much? I can't seem to find a camera that fits. Am I missing something?

2. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    You can add the Sema-1 to the E-m5 to get a microphone jack. However, it does block your flash shoe, making the use of certain microphones problematic.

3. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    E-M1 has both...

4. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    E-M1 is an interesting camera however it's video capabilities are rather stunted and suffers from a lack of detail. What would for me at least be ideal would be something like a Panasonic GH3 with IBIS. The IBIS would also have to work during video recording. Being able to adjust exposure on the fly while recording video would be a big plus as well.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Unfortunately, in the mu43 world Panasonic has better video but has eschewed IBIS in favor of OIS. I would suspect that Olympus will upgrade its video before Panasonic goes for IBIS, but I admit it's a just a guess.

Edit: I should add that I think Olympus will feel more pressure to improve their video than Panasonic will feel to adopt IBIS.

6. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    Panasonic wants people to buy their lenses rather than use legacy glass. Makes business sense from one perspective but imho short sighted in the long run. I would have bought Olympus in a heart beat but the video turned me off. I don't have the luxury of being able to tripod all my video shots and still want to use my Leitz and Nikkor glass. I will probably have to hold off for a year or two to see what shakes out. Either that or just upgrade my D700 to a D800 and forget about the Leitz lenses. One of my goals was to reduce weight but if I can't get the quality I want in an overall package that may be my only option.

7. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Funny how there are so many holes in the camera line-up when is easily the system with the most body releases...

Personally, I crave a small body with a flip-out screen and a modern sensor. I have a G3, which is close to the mark, but pretty sure I don't want to upsize to a GH3 just to upgrade my sensor! :(

8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    The GX7 has IBIS but no audio-in jack -- is this really the only Lumix model that has IBIS?

9. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Indeed, and the IBIS is disabled in video. As I understand it, it's because IBIS interferes with the heat dissipation mechanism which is required for the camera to achieve high IQ without degrading. Difficulties in heat dissipation are why the GM1 doesn't have as nice video capabilities as the GX7. It's possibly also why Olympus is so far behind in video quality since all their cameras have IBIS.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sucks that all this great technology exist today, yet there is no chance any of it will be combined into the perfect camera!

11. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Do what the pros do... and record audio on a separate device. There are many small digital recorders with excellent sound quality (some are even from Olympus). All of them wipe the floor with what you get in-camera, even if you restrict yourself to the built-in microphones.

You won't get a sync track, but a simple slate will do.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Behind video quality? We are not shooting 320x240 mjpeg anymore with 15fps.

The sensor can work with IBIS hours without heat problems unless you are already very high temperature situation (50+ degrees)

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  14. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Must say that after few months as i last time went their sites the site design is refreshing to most other sites.

The blackmagic is doing something so awesome with m4/3 format that it is hard to remember. Like the pocket edition is so dirty cheap that it just blows my mind and almost calls me to buy it. Would fit to camera pack or pocket next to E-M1. Add a nice lens and there would be always a secondary cam for video at hand.

Of course those who want the quality what E-M1 cant deliver, it is blackmagic only territory then (until we see what JVC delivers later).

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Olympus has stated many times that, at the moment, they are fully committed to still photography and making that a top priority. They have also stated that they are looking at video and will be doing more in this area down the track. I would prefer that Olympus does their utmost to make their cameras the best still cameras possible and not let the fad of video distract them from that mission. I would prefer Olympus to be known as a pre-eminent still camera company than a video camera company, which Panasonic is fast becoming (and has been for a long time).

Whilst I like video, it's ostensibly an ephemeral product; you can't hold a video, you can't put it into a book, you can't hang it on a wall, or put it in a shoe box etc. Yes, I know that you can hold a phone or tablet and watch a video, or put one in an ebook, hang a photo frame or store a thumb drive, but that's not what I mean. Video isn't enduring, it's not something that you can pass in a hallway and prompt memories of something from the past, you can't print a video (only a screen shot). How many times does anyone look repeatedly at a video they shot, compared to a photograph they've taken? How many videos that people have taken would be used as wallpaper (if you could)?

I guess that's why I've not embraced video all that strongly, especially with the BMPCC price drop, as I'm more a committed stills photographer than a videographer, probably always will be one.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    E-M1 fits the bill but you are adding requirements just to avoid buying one.
    Your original post is certainly fulfillable.

17. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    Panasonic GX-1's are so cheap I might buy another one and take it apart and see if I can install an audio-in jack.

18. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    As I've shown several times already, the GH4 construct is that of a stills camera that requires significant add-ons to make it a competent pro/semi-pro video camera. While the GH4 is getting rave reviews at the moment, I sometimes wonder how long that will last. I think Blackmagic is doing the right thing by making dedicated video cameras in all sizes, which allows for a much cleaner platform to exist and one that optimises on video. Too many cameras are trying to become the Leatherman of the camera world, with all sorts of additions that don't enhance actual photography, but support peripheral activities.

Yes, for some, those peripheral activities may be a nice to have or even an important component, but they just add to the complexity and possible non-essential components of a stills camera. Is it really necessary to have a DSLR with the capability to instantly send a photo to Facebook etc? Or geo-tagging. Handheld GPS units are already a massive drain on batteries, so incorporating a GPS data logger into a camera just adds to the battery drain. There are better ways to achieve these things.

20. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Well said. I have letterman 22 years old and in 3 years warrant ends....

I have it in my camera pack and i use it at home sometimes but mainly on road. At home it is niche tool as i have much better tools to choose from my workshop. But considering that my workshop tools costs together around 100k, a $50 tool does great as i cant take truckload tools with me.

Even if E-M1 would shoot best video ever in any camera, it woyld be bad because when i shoot stills, i dont shoot video. When i shoot video i cant ahoot stills as i have different visions and needa for both. I can take interview stills from unusual camera angle but i cant make video from same camera angle.

So two dedicated cameras are best choice, one for video on tripod/dolly and one for stills on monopod/hands.

Geotagging is by my opinion important for cataloging purposes. The battery isnt really a problem if well designed receiver, what most are not. My cousin designs GPS receivers for scientific and military use and he has few years old own GPS receiver as keychain with button to store position. Runs on button battery and gives one full day power. Accuracy he said to be to 15cm if given enough time stay still.

So having a GPS internal doesnt require more power than one minute video in a hour.

I use olympus IO share to geotag when on field. But i would gladly take a hotshoe addon or just keychain receiver (if well build ) if i could as easily sync data to photos as with OIshare.