What I really, really hate with the E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 6x6, Nov 13, 2011.

1. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    The -expresive deleted- large AF area, which sometimes makes it impossible to properly focus on a subject. The camera chooses another area of higher contrast(?) [last pic] and one has to resort to MF. Which I definitly hate, AF is a good thing to have now and one reason why I dont miss those mechanical cameras of old.
    Otherwise it was a beautiful day in the autumnal wood!

Attached Files:

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As an owner of an ep1, I understand.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yep ... misfocus on a stationary object just sucks ... I mean really sucks! Almost as bad as shutter lag.

For me this happens when focusing close up and when the subject is back lighted. Usually I stick my hand out and bring the focus back in by focusing on my extended hand ... then refocus on the subject and that usually helps in resolving the problem. It is frustrating when this occurs time and again.

G

• Like Like x 1
  4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Does the E-P1 offer the mode to focus only on the center of the frame? That would help immensely - it's the only AF mode I use on the E-PL1, E-PL2, and E-P3. Half-push to focus on my subject, then move for framing, then full-press to take the pic.

Unfortunately, "iAuto" mode ignores my settings for auto-focus. That can be troublesome, as sometimes my settings aren't what I need to capture a quick shot, yet although switching to "iAuto" fixes most of that instantly, it also means the camera decides on whatever arbitrary item it wants to focus on. Dumb choice by Olympus!

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes, I agree. It's very annoying when it happens and in iAuto mode it's very angerfull.
    If I don't remember wrong also the other cameras do that like Panasonic I think.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, multi-point focus is just stupid. :) Yet, it's one of the biggest marketing specs used to push whatever latest Canon, Nikon, or Sony camera that comes out. "This camera has 99 focus points!" Go figure... as a photograher, I don't want more han one - the one I choose!

However, that's not what the OP is talking about. He's talking about the E-P1's lack of focus box size adjustment, like what's found on the E-PL1 and newer when you change the size of the magnify box, or on E-System DSLRs like the E-3 or E-5 when you choose "AF Area Small". This allows for more accurate focus selection with a single point.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, 7x and 10x are just goofy and too wide as well. How about the actual zoom setting so 100% zooms you all the way into 1:1 pixel and then out from there-and a couple of more options besides the two. That way we only have to wrestle with the low contrast of the LCD.

MF with native lenses is just horrid. As for AF I just pick center point and then use AFL.

8. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I always find this picture hilarious. The EPL-1 has the same problem. It happens a lot, although I wasn't expecting it to be an issue in this particular case.

OMK20401.

It can't even focus on a rhino!

• Like Like x 5
  9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    You can change hte box size on the EPL1? How?

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In the words of Mr. Clinton "I feel your pain"

The EP3 was MUCH better, but I'm going to wait until they come down more in price. Today I went out with the EP1 and the 14/2.5. Great combo, and at a street value of about $120-140, I have no fear of taking the EP1 along into dangerous places (edit: in today's case, rock climbing -- didn't mean a dangerous neighborhood)

In short, I hear ya', but I still love mine :)

11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The lens may be worth substantially more than the camera...that's a dilemma I face when packing for a trip. I don't want to leave those primes behind, but....:confused:

12. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah I used to have that with E-PL1, now with E-PM1 the focus is much much better

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Press the Close-Up button (the magnifying glass) then when the green box pops up hold INFO and use the keypad to change the size from 7x to 10x to 14x. As long as you don't touch the AF point set button [...] then the next time you use Autofocus it will use the box size and location of your last Close-Up application. This works on all PEN cameras since the E-PL1 as well, but the magnify size options are different on some of the newer cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AbsolutKev

AbsolutKev Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Johor, malaysia
    aaahahahaha... that s one good one....!

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    drizek, I'd be interested where the AF box was at when this picture was taken. The problem is, there isn't much contrast on the Rhino itself.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Sorta hard to ignore a rhinoceros and focus on something else.

17. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    I save up for a E-P3. The E-P2 is not much of an improvement over mine outside the VF-2 and said AF area. Might have to look into that touchscreen-thing, touch the screen and focus and release shutter in one go?

on the subject of too many Focus points, I once used an analog EOS which had sort of an eyeball-triggering of the various focus points. You once adjusted by movement of the eye the camera to the user. then, upon looking thorough the finder at an specific focus point, the camera switched to this one.
    Great system, never again have I seen it in a digital camera.

18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The problem is, the camera doesn't know. I've ran into this issue plenty of times. If something of low contrast is in the box with something of high contrast, it will look at the high contrast first, ie the background. If what is filling the focus box up is nothing but low contrast information, sometimes the camera will not focus at all or miss focus completly. I've tried focusing on a low contrast wall with both my pens, and both will fail to lock. While PDAF systems require some contrast to focus detect, they can handle low contrast subjects sometimes better.

What would be interesting is for Olympus or Panasonic to develop an algorithm to take low contrast information, boost the contrast, and then feed this information to the AF algorithm.

For the rhino, I'd try and focus on the eye of the rhino or maybe the ears. There seems to be contrast there, but there is still no guarantee it will focus.

19. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think this was the EOS 10S film camera, but I'm not 100% on that. I remember the one you're talking about though, and I've always wondered (like you) why it didn't make it into another EOS camera body. It could be turned off if the user wanted, but it was very slick. Too bad the rest of the body was pretty forgettable since this was right after Canon made the change to all polymer non-pro EOS bodies. And I'm not talking about the outside, there wasn't even an alloy frame to bolt/glue the poly bitz to. The only major component on the body that was made of metal was the lens mount flange.

It was worse on the entry level film Rebel, even the mount was poly. You could actually secure the body on a tripod, mount the kit tele zoom which also used poly mount material, and see the gap form at the joint at the top of the mount when the zoom was extended.

Sorry I digressed.

But the eye focus point selection WAS cool.

20. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    There were two EOS cameras with the eye selection - the EOS 5 aka A2e and the EOS 50E aka ELAN IIe.