1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What I learned from this subforum.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PaulGiz, Feb 20, 2013.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    This is partly a forum about photography, and partly about "stuff", so it makes sense that we're all nitpicking at the equipment.

But, by looking through the photos in the native lens subforum I've learned that the general quality of native 4/3 lenses is quite good. Compared to the best lenses of 30 or even 20 years ago, they're excellent.

I've also confirmed the knowledge that, in the hands of someone with an eye and a bit of technical skill, any lens can make an impressively fine image.

From the "worst" (I guess body cap?) to the "best" (25mm Summilux/75mm m.Zuiko), there are great images here.

Happy I decided to go all in on Micro 4/3, loving every minute with my camera.

P.

• Like Like x 20
  2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Not so far from my experience. I was shooting some larger Nikon gear (a pair of D7000's and a bunch of pro lenses) and I sold it all and bought into micro four thirds and I am totally satisfied with my decision.

John

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    All of that in a smaller, easily carried format. Gotta love :43:! Just wish that more folks in the US had a clue that :43: exists. :rolleyes:

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Buy the shirts and wear them often!

They won't know if we don't show!

• Like Like x 2
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yep! I don't know if we're just benefitting from modern designs or what, but we have consistently good lenses in this system. I suspect a lot has to do with modern computer-aided design and not having to retain backwards compatibility to an older mount etc.

Whatever the cause, there are very few "poor" lenses in the system and we're all lucky for it :smile:

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    People would assume the micro 4/3 shirt means you're a member of the math club.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I got one for Christmas and I do wear it with pride! :biggrin:

8. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I have a friend who is a very technical person, working in medical sales, who has spent thousands upon thousands on his Canon full frame outfit and is known to be a very particular. I showed him some shots with my EPL1 of some portraits in low light and in twilight. He was impressed with the shots, further with the compact size. But his eyes really opened up when he found out I was carrying all of my native lenses in my filson briefcase.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That's just because it was a Filson - "might as well have the best" :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  10. C6REW

C6REW Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devizes, Wiltshire, UK
    Chris Grew
    As mentioned elsewhere I am a Nikon user with a D3X (now sold) and D3S. I have all of the Nikon 'fast' lenses and love them all.

But having bought the OMD EM5 with a 20mm, 45mm, 12 - 35mm, 35 - 100mm and 45 - 200mm so far I am thrilled with the quality and portability. Just starting to look at the Panasonic 100 -300 or Olympus 150 - 300 as a possible replacement for my Nikon 200 -400VR.

Got to love a camera like the OMD with 5 axis stabilisation built in. You just start to wonder 'what next'?

Best regards

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I guess part of the reason must be the smaller sensor. Projecting an image onto an FF sensor whilst keeping the size/weight reasonable must be harder than doing the same thing on MFT.

However, MFT is now a serious camera system that delivers superb results. I'm seriously thinking of dumping my Canon gear.

12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I wasn't as high end as you, but I sold a pair of Nikon D7000's, 70-200mm VR II, 16-35mm f/4 VR and so forth and bought completely into micro four thirds and I'm thrilled. I just did an urbex run today and my backpack is SOOOOOO light now compared to what it used to be! I'm a little older, so that is important to me.

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Wish for some essential professional features.

I just wish any µ4/3 body had the ability to be tethered, like all of canons SLRs including their consumer models.
    Taking a photo lighting class at the community college and my professor cant stop needling me about that lack of feature.

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Does he ever take his camera out of the studio, lol? I have zero use for tethering so it is not an issue for me.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

LOL, ...Yea I asked him that too , his response was "why would you buy one camera system for in studio and another one for out , when you can just buy one camera system to do both" then he said "don't worry I'll turn you into a real photographer yet and you will want to get a professional system." He also thought the OMD could tether and was surprised when I told him it couldn't & that no µ4/3 camera could.. he said something like , "Really? But I hear so many good things about it and know a couple photographers that have one that would make no sense for them to not make it able to shoot tethered."
    Kinda a back handed compliment.

However I can see the advantage of that feature for me, because even tho I mostly shoot out of the studio I do so many set up shots that it would be advantageous to have that ability .. Or at least have Panasonic allow the HD monitor hook up to display the live view and not just the replay.

16. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    While been on this forum, I have so far noticed the 14-45\45-200\25 1.4\45 1.8\75 1.8 and 60 2.8 users share the greatest photos, as well as the E-M5 users; so I've had my own 14-45\45-200 and 25 1.4; what I've found is these are real great tools but it's the people behind the tools matter more, those users give the best shots because they are likely to be more experienced photographers, and I've been impressed by some kit lens shots too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I agree ..
    I feel Photography is 85% the photographer some of the time, and 100% the photographer the rest of the time.

18. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Ok, I am stealing that quote for my sig line. Great advice...

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Even the worst lenses in M43 land are actually better than many of the lenses of other brands.

20. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I've successfully launched exactly zero, zed, zilch, nada folks into :43:.

The other day at the local dog park (the park is local, not necessarily the dogs :biggrin:) a fellow did stop and ask "What kind of camera is that?".

It was my OM-D with the 12-50 kit lens.

The moment he found out it wasn't a Canikon he lost interest. I guess he's only interested in "real" cameras :rolleyes:.

One friend is mildly interested but he's primarily a birder with a couple of very nice (read "$$$$$") Canon lenses; carrying the Canon body isn't much of an additional trudge since he carries the additional gear anyway. The 100-300mm is a nice :43: lens but I don't own one for him to test for himself. To be fair, he gets some very nice photos indeed with his Canon gear.

The others are satisfied with their Pentax/Nikon/Canon gear and see no reason to change. Of course they are all decades younger than I, so the strain of carrying the extra gear mass doesn't really impact them.

Yet.

:biggrin:

I, however, am absolutely pleased with the OM-D; while I don't fully use all of it's functions (c'mon - you got full manual control and RAW available, anything else is a bell and whistle :biggrin:) I just use the functions I desire and forget about the rest.

If the aperture control was on the lenses and if there was a split prism viewfinder it would be just about perfect :thumbup:.

Regards,

Jim

* I must concede that I haven't ordered the t-shirt yet...

EDIT: O.K., I broke down and ordered the shirt. Look great with my long shorts, black socks, and open toed sandals at the zoo....:biggrin: