Mu-43 Top Veteran
  1. DSLR still rules travelers
  2. Very few u43 users
  3. Wrist Strap is the way to go...not neck strap
  4. 12-35mm is plenty wide for architecture
  5. 12-35 isn't the best for portrait in the city
  6. Bring a "telephoto" lens for the Statue of Liberty
  7. 35-100mm is great for picture of your family in the city
  8. No way in hell I would be lugging around Canon 70-200mm f2.8IS in NYC when I can do the same with 35-100mm f2.8
  9. Angular distortion at 12mm is severe when photographing tall buildings from up close
  10. Don't get caught photographing your family with super heros..unless you're ready to give them a $20 tip afterwards
  11. Mirrorless is the way to go

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
I dunno about #3...I use a neck strap so that I can have both hands free when required (as when digging out my wallet to fork over $20 to Batman :biggrin:). I do wrap the neck strap around my wrist upon occasion...but like having the 'hands free' option.

Thanks for posting - I've never been to New York...

Regards,

Jim

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some of your list is generally acceptable and others are more personally subjective.

For instance I HATE WRIST STRAPS! I like neck straps if they are comfortable and supportive. I also like some of the quick shoot strap rigs. But I would rather have nothing than a wrist strap.

The distortion of a 12mm is easy to fix these days with software.

I would delete the photo before paying some superhero wanna-be $20.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
We just came back from Europe, and I'd say perhaps 50% of the cameras being used were either phones or tablets.

katiedaddy

Mu-43 Regular
Some great points. I only switched to my mirrorless format after my trip to Vegas early this year because walking around all day with large dslr + grip + 70-200mm 2.8 took toll my shoulder.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
Put us in the wrist strap camp unless we are hiking (in the woods). I would be curious to hear what the breakdown is of the focal lengths that you used on your trip.

Jon Li

Mu-43 Regular
When travelling with family members , each of us carry a camera . I will be with EM-1 with telephoto zoom , my wife will have her LX7 n my daughter will have GX7 with portrait n wide angle primes . This way each of us get to be photographed during the trip .

Jon .

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
What I've learned so far: The Olympus 17mm f2.8 is really small. Fits in the center console of a rental quite unobtrusively. So unobtrusively, in fact, that you can leave it in the car when you drop it off in the lot late at night.

Fortunately, I had ten minutes in Philly's 30th St train station to recover the key from the desk this morning and sprint across the bridge and back before our train took off. Win!
GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

Top Bottom