What headphones do you use?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've been on a mission to find a good set of headphones that won't break the bank. I've tried all the ones which are available at the big box stores and ended up going with a few in-ear designs, but I couldn't get used to pushing those into my ear and decided to try around/over-the ear headphones. I was looking for a closed back design so as not to expose others to my music when listening in public.

I tried the various "Beats by Dr. Dre" models, and there was just too much bass for me. Tried a friends' AudioTechnica ATH-M50 headphones, and the sound was amazing, but the comfort/weight was a bit suboptimal for my purposes. Ended up settling on Bose AE2 headphones, which are the lightest, most comfortable around-the-ear headphones I've ever used and sound great.

Anyone else enjoying some good headphones?
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I use in the ear noise canceling headphone/mic with my iPhone and iPod. I forget the brand though. Really does a good job of canceling outside noise.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Quincy Jones by AKG. Had them for a month and absolutely love them. I got the mid sized ones rather than the full cans. They come with two cables. One is standard and one is an iPhone/iPod/iPad/MacBook with an inline remote and mic. They fold for travel and are very comfortable. They've been universally praised in reviews as well. I also have apiar of UE 5 superfi pro in ear phones. They are just brilliant sound but I don't like the heavy cables.

Amazon.com: AKG Q460 Mini On Ear Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Line: Musical Instruments

• Like Like x 1
  4. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I've been doing some research on headphones recently and the ATH-m50 is supposedly the best pair you can get for <$300.

I have a pair of Dr Dre Studio Beats but wouldn't recommend them, especially if you aren't a fan of bass (+ they are overpriced :))
    • Like Like x 1
  5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I have two Sony MDR-V6 studio headphones. I love them to death. I have one at work and one at home.

I love them because:
    - excellent sound quality
    - decent price
    - most importantly, I can wear these for HOURS non-stop. Yes, they are that comfortable.

The older one I've had for 5+ years and it's still pumping out mad audio beats :)

I can't recommend these headphones enough...

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil: Electronics
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Fostex T-50 over the ear, and Fostex T-20 on the ear. Both have single entry detachable cords, they have excellent sound quality and are very comfortable. I got them from Musicians Friend many years ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I have the Sennheiser HD 580. They're good, but very open. I've accidentally used them as speakers before when I didn't realize they were plugged in and just bumped up the volume. The HD 595 are a little better in that regard and they are generally more "user friendly".

I do prefer my in-ear UE Triple.Fi 10 Pros though. I put Sony "hybrid" tips on them and they have become very comfy. I get much more detailed sound than the Sennheisers give and they have very satisfying (but not at all overpowering) bass.

Amazon has discounted them to around $99 last year and the year before in the first couple of weeks of December. Every reason to think they might do it again this year, but it is one of those deals that only lasts for about 2 hours at the most (I think the MSRP is $399). I missed it the first time.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    +1 on hiep.

I have the sony mdr7506 professionals. After close to ten years, they're still working flawlessly. Probably the only sony product i havent regret owning.

Bose buds for 3 years. Decent for the gym.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    I'm with Drizek on the Sennheiser 595. Beautiful flat response, superb for any kind of music. Even with my knackered ears I can tell the difference.

For iPod Etymotic ER 4i. These go deep, and block almost all outside sound.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i have a steel series 5hv2, one of the best ones i used ever, designed by gamers mostly and used in most pc cafes where i am.

SteelSeries – SteelSeries 5Hv2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I should have asked this before getting my new headphones!

It's fun to read up on the headphones everyone is using. Getting a little GAS though :rolleyes:.

One of the things that clinched the Bose for me is that if they every break, Bose will let you trade them in for the latest model for $60. At least, that's what the salesperson told me :biggrin:.
  12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    A pair of AKG 701's here. Fed by a nuForce USB DAC. Very neutral sounding headphones. Bass addicts apparently hates them :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a pair of AKG studio headphones when I was serious about listening on headphones. They were around $200 when I bought them in the early 90s. It was like I was living inside the music (or the music was inside my head depending on how the producer did his work).

All the Grado headphones I've listened to have been neutral and pleasing and I think they represent good value for money in the audiophile market.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I use a pair of Sennheiser HD202s for monitoring audio when recording video. They seem pretty good for audio as well, maybe a little strong in the upper bass. Lots of makers do that as a way of pretending they have deep response. Lots of pop records are mixed that way too to create a sense of bass on smaller (i.e., factory audio) systems. But nothing that can't be EQ'd out.

For years I used a pair of Etymotic ER6i in-ear phones for motorcycle riding. Amazing response from such little drivers. Really really nice. Great for airplanes as well - 30db noise canceling without having to carry a big set of cans or electronic trickery.

And it all started with a pair of Koss PortaPros. Excellent in so many ways, and probably the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever owned; a pair of pads above the drivers placed the pressure on your temples instead of on your ears.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I have a pair of sennheiser CX series earbuds. Use them for my MP3 player while jogging.

At work I use Sennheiser RS120 wireless.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I use Sennheiser HD595 at home, Sennheiser HD280 Pro in the office and Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro when I'm on the go.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    • Like Like x 1
  18. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    At home, I am using a pair of Grado cans at home... started with the SR60 and now have the GS1000i. I like the Grado phones because they sound great to me at low volume.

I'm using a pair of Shure in-ears for travel. The noise isolation is good on the plane and the Shures are one of the few I have tried that are very flush with the outside of your ear (don't stick out far), so it is still comfortable if you are sleeping and roll your head to the side.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    There seems to be a pretty nice collection of phones on this board (which doesn't really surprise me). I have the previously mentioned Audio Technica ATH-M50s which definitely sound very good to my ears for the money. I did test a few comparable models (the DT770 and ATH-M40fs) and the M50 had the most "presence" and what I found to be a more natural frequency response without the need of an external headphone amp. I needed closed back headphones so that ruled out the many fine open back models. My main uses are practicing and tracking/mixing so the size and weight aren't an issue.
    For portable use, I use the Apple in-ears. I used the original version of their in-ears for many years until they ultimately fell apart. At $40, they were one of the cheaper in-ear headphones, and for the many years I got out of them, they certainly held their value. The new ones with the remote are $80, a price point where there is much more competition. But since I had been so pleased with the previous version, I went with the new ones and I've been happy with them.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm still using my 20+ years old AKG K-401s. They are an open design but not as efficient as some.
    • Like Like x 1