1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What have I done!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sprocket87, Feb 25, 2015.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    So.... I shouldn't browse camera stores past my bedtime, especially with a tax return burning a hole in my checking account.

DxvZVcU.

Order placed through Adorama. These lens discounts are just too big to pass up... I was shopping the used market for these lenses anyway and almost all of them are cheaper than you can reliably find used (the 17mm you might be able to get a bit cheaper but not usually in black). I mean, come on, a black 75mm 1.8 for $599?? Too good to resist!

Plus I got another $50 off through Discover Deals for buying from Adorama!

Haven't spent this much on photography gear in a loooong time. But I'm actively pursuing photography as a business now and a couple of these were essential for some of the work I'll be doing. So... gulp... :)

• Like Like x 11
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow, you are defintely set!

Your gear list already shows a Panasonic 25, 20mm f1.7 and a 12-40mm f2.8. That new 17 and 25 might be a bit crowded in there. Are you planning on keeping all of them?

3. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Congrats! Nice kit you have going.

Good luck with the emergent business venture as well.

Wish I had the guts/flexibility to go that route, though it is nice & carefree to shoot for myself and my family.

4. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    are those street prices for the lenses? 500 total for 45 an 25 is a steal!!!

hell of a prime kit to build. congrats.

5. rkris

rkris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    I could neither resist the great deals on the lenses on Adorama. I have the ep5 with the 12, 17 and 45. With the purchase of the silver em5ii I added the 12-40, PL25, 75, 40-150 R (only $19) and 14-42 II(R). The 17, 45 and the 14-42 will be paired with the ep-5 and used mostly by my daughter. The em5ii will at times be paired with the 12, 25 and 75 for a nice light prime kit. Most of the time I expect to be using the 12-40 with either the 75 or the 40-150 R.

6. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks all! Now that it's the next morning it's actually sinking in what I did last night! :D

Honestly the lenses I'm not too worried about -- I have been looking at each of them for long enough to feel confident about that decision. The E-M5 mark II is the real wild card. I had been working myself up to the E-M1 upgrade when the E-M5 mark II dropped out of nowhere, and it was almost a 50/50 split about which one I wanted. I went with my gut, and today I feel like it was a good choice. We'll see how I feel when it arrives....

My PL25 will be going on the classifieds, assuming I like the O25. I find the Panasonic version to have a lot of CA on my Olympus body. Might just be the situations I'm shooting in, but I haven't bonded with it, so I'm willing to forego a tiny bit of aperture for the Olympus lens.

The P20 is permanently bonded to my old GF1, which is now the wife's cam for use around the house with the kids. So the O17 will be my light, fast AF "walkabout" lens on my old E-M5.

The 12-40 does cover those ranges well but that will be my "event" zoom. Honestly that lens is so good I could probably live without the primes, but the extra stop of light can be pretty important for me. And I'd rather use primes for static/studio shots.

I may not end up keeping all of them, but I will let it shake out and see what sticks. At these prices it is unlikely I would have found them any cheaper used, so this is the best chance to try them. I wanted to get the 60mm macro too, but it wasn't as deeply discounted - $399 is pretty common for that lens. I can always pick that up used later.

Thanks. I am taking it on slowly -- I have other full time employment so I'm not really taking a leap of faith (yet). I'm just going to go slow and steady and try to build up my brand.

7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    You got a great deal!

8. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Enjoy your purchases, Jesse! Once the budget recovers or you sell a lens or two, keep an eye on the Olympus refurb store if you're interested in the 60mm macro - it shows up occasionally for $319. I got mine that way, and it looked brand new.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Dan
    Awesome deal and a great way to spend your return. I wish that I could spend all my return on camera gear, but at least I get to keep $500 to add to my camera fund.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I felt that way when I first preordered my E-M5 too (but not with all those lenses) & come to think of it that is exactly what I asked myself when my wife was pregnant with our first child (many years ago).

• Like Like x 1
  11. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Ha... well I can relate to that too, we had 3 boys in 4 years so I have been asking that question a lot :D :D

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Nice kit!

13. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

I hope you used the affiliate links to buy all that gear. It would really go a long way to helping Amin pay the server bills and keep this site at the fore-front of Micro Four-Thirds photography.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the E-M5 MkII too.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Unfortunately I did not, I had to buy directly through my credit card portal to get my CC discount. That said, I'm getting ready to buy some other accessories (bag, grip, etc) which will definitely be getting affiliate links for the site. But good looking out.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    Is Adorama a licensed dealer? How are they undercutting everyone else? I just bought mine with a similar bundle from h and b (not B&H). I got the 12-40mm 2.8 pro for $799 in a bundle (same as the Olympus website). Seemed like a great deal. Adorama has it for $699... Same thing for all the rest of the lenses. What is going on here? Wish I would have waited a couple of days. Oh well....
    -w0den

16. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    Hmmm... Looks like a misprint on their page. They list the regular price for the 12-40 as $899, when that is already the olympus $100 discounted price....
    I wonder if they are actually going to honor those prices.... Buying it as a bundle is supposed to get you an extra $100 off...

Let us know!

-w0den

17. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Dang....I ordered a first series M5 to replace my old E-pl1 (finally) and missed adding the $19 40-150.[emoji30]

18. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Adorama's current price for the 12-40mm by itself is $899, just like Olympus direct or B&H, etc. The only difference is that Adorama is offering a bigger discount on the bundle with the E-M5 mark II (and the E-M1 if you're interested). No pricing error, just a good deal :)

Yes, they are a licensed dealer, I would say they're the #2 camera dealer after B&H.

19. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Yes adorama is a solid seller. Same league as B&H/Amazon etc. You could go back to B&H and ask for the same deal if it was recent and maybe they will give you the discount. Olympus bundle deals are typically the same everywhere...but they go on and off frequently.

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

We weren't in that much of a hurry with 4 children in 6 1/2 years. ;)