1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What has to go in the E-M3?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Nov 12, 2012.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Olympus has said they are releasing an lower end OMD. To be "lower end", something on the E-M5 has to go. It's going to the have the 16 MP sensor and it has to have an eye level viewfinder since it's an OMD. I can only think of a few things:

1. No 5 axis IBIS, just the 3 axis one in the E-PL5
    2. Not weather resistant
    3. Plastic body

I can't think of anything else. This would definitely lower the price, but not all the way to the E-Pl5, right?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Control dials, perhaps? Battery grip compatibility? Or perhaps it will have the standard 50k consumer-grade shutter mechanism as opposed to the semi-pro 100k shutter of the E-M5.

3. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    VF-3 resolution EVF.
    Metal body but no weathersealing.
    2 axis IBIS.
    No articulating LCD.
    One less control dial.
    Only available in black.
    Add Wi-Fi.

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I think all your suggestions are valid, although what I suppose would be logical, is a combination of these:

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I think it would depend on whether they offer both a "lower-end OM-D" and a new generation PEN (E-P3 successor), or if those are actually the same camera.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The olympus rep I asked about hinted it will be 12MP not 16MP, if so will anyone here be interested?

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If I were to speculate,
    The 2 above would go leaving "this" camera with an integrated EVF....

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The E-PL5 has the same sensor as the E-M5, so it doesn't really make sense if the E-M3 only has a 12MP sensor unless it is priced even lower than the E-PL5...

I would have to agree with what others have suggested, that the E-M3 will lose the 5-axis IBIS, weather-sealing, and become the E-P3 successor...

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    It can be priced $100-200 more than the E-PL5 ($750-850 body only) and still maintain a built-in EVF and cheaper than the OMD.

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    True, but if it only has a 12MP sensor as Grinch has suggested, I doubt if the higher price will be attractive to potential buyers as they can just get the E-PL5 and a VF-2 or VF-3 for about the same price, but have the 16MP sensor instead...

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I wouldn't be interested. That makes no sense since the E-Pm2 and E-PL3 have the 16 mp sensor.

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That's a deal killer right there :biggrin:

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    So, this would be a G-line competitor, huh? I honestly don't know if I could get excited about it because I really do like all the features on the EM5. I suppose I could live without a dial. This model's worst competitor would be used EM5.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's it! The EM3 will only be available in Green and Purple. Cheaper but hideous.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think that'd be a bad decision. Nobody particularly likes the VF-3. And the setup isn't good for adding an external VF-2, as it is on the Pens.

I can't imagine going down to 12MP. They've recently discontinued all their 12MP models. Why would they introduce a new one now?

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The OMD body is $999 at BH photo....I think Olympus can get away with the 16mp sensor & integrated EVF for $800-$850 USD...

17. I'd be thinking along the same lines as a G3 or G5 type body and specs with a metal chassis and plastic body. I actually don't have the greatest confidence in the longevity of the paint finish on the E-M5 since it has such sharp edges.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    "What has to go"? Oly can get rid of:

1) The CAF that doesn't work;
    2) The slow refresh rate of the EVF when in CAF;
    3) The low battery life; and
    4) The crappy dial/button placements.

I'd buy that sucker, no questions asked, if Oly got rid of 1 - 4.
    G

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yeah, but that would increase the price :rolleyes:

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I'd pay more for a OM-D which is "fully functional" (#1 & #2). Hell, I paid full retail for a couple of OM-D's which included 1 - 4.

Wait what ... oh, this thread isn't about making the E-M5 better. :biggrin: