1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What has made your Photohearts skip a beat?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by StefanKruse, Mar 15, 2015.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hi all,

I ave a birthday coming up and I want to treat myself to something nice, but I am not sure what to get. I am contemplating the following, but would like to hear any suggestions you all may have.

I like small bodies and I am not that into tele. Things I am considering:

Samyang 7.5mm fisheye (think I could have some fun with this one)
    PL 15mm (I like wide and fast for e.g. night shots)
    Pana 12-35mm f2.8 (nice allround lens for thos occations where I dont want to change lenses)
    EM-10 body (a better body I guess would improve all my current lenses)

What has made your Photohearts skip a beat lately or what is your favorite photo item.

Thanks

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    based on the gear that you already have... I would consider the PL 15mm

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, I own the 7.5FE, PL15, and two of the slow 12-X zooms.
    • I'm not sure that a faster, higher IQ 12-X zoom would make me go wow, especially with the associated price tag, and reduced portability. I use an E-M5, but for a smaller body that is probably even more important. I don't particularly like hanging the PL25 off my GM1 for instance.
    • The PL15 filled a hole in my low-light kit - the wide spot to complement the PL25 and O45. It's a great lens that I use all the time - it has its place, and does its job well. I tend to know what I'll get from it - usually something good.
    • The one lens in my lens that never ceases to make me go wow is the 7.5FE. There's nothing else quite like it, especially for that price. It takes some getting used to, and a lot of the usefulness I get from it is actually from being able to re-project the image in post-processing using Hugin. Because of this, I'm never quite sure exactly what I'll get at the end of the day (a lot like old darkroom stuff I suppose), but that just makes seeing the final result even better. If you're not into technical post-processing, I'd probably give it a pass as you already have an ultra-wide, but otherwise, it will be great fun indeed.
    • The other thing that made me go wow was off camera flash. I got a bunch of used YN560-III and a YN560-Tx controller for very little, and although I don't use them that often (the odd posed portrait, but mostly macro and still life), I have great fun using them. It's amazing what being able to control the quality of light does, even if all you have is a relatively cheap slow zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  4. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    I got a PL25 1,4 recently, love it!

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I have an E-M10, Samyang fisheye, Oly 20-40mm f2.8 and Oly 40-150 R.
    The E-M10 is a really nice camera in my hands as long as it has the ECG-1 grip attached. The fisheye is amazingly sharp and flare resistant, and fun to use. You can defish the images to get extreme wide angle rectilinear pictures.
    The lens I use almost all the time is the Oly 12-40. I'd suggest this lens if you can hack the added bulk. It's very sharp, focuses to near macro and quickly switches between auto and manual focus by pulling the focus ring back or pushing it forward. I have no problem using it on my E-M10. In fact, a recent shot I'm very pleased with was made one-handed by looking at the LCD screen with my wrist cocked inward:

16368478707_4c5bb88a35_c. Spring's Here ! by Bottombracket, on Flickr

As you may guess, I think it's a very useful piece of glass.

6. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I like the idea of the PL 15mm, but it sits a bit awkward in between the 14 mm 2.5, which is half the price and the Pana 12-35, which is more expensive, but would cover a wider range and allow me to sell the kit lens 14-42mm. The oly 12-40 would be preferred over the pana, but it just seems too large for the E-pl5.

Maybe the above is an indication I should go for the Samyang.

Hmm decisions decisions

7. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Just noticed the PL15mm has a manual Aperture ring which would be quite convenient with the E-pl5

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You may want to consider a Ricoh GR. There are a number of us in the forum who use them, and if that is your cup of tea, I believe that your photoheart may skip a beat.

Happy early birthday,

--Ken

9. wjiang

Them rings are electronic aperture rings and thus far only work on Panasonic bodies unfortunately.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Based on your list we're talking a max budget of about $900? (current price of a new 12-35) Or $650? (what they seem to going for used).

I've owned several m4/3 bodies and the E-M10 has been my favorite. And yes I had an E-P5 and E-M1. So the E-M10 or E-PL7 (just if you don't want the viewfinder, but the E-M10 also has the built in flash) would be my first options.

Then with the difference between the $900/$650 plus what you can get for the E-PL5 you might still be able to get the 15mm. Or the 14mm and the 7.5mm. You could also add the 9mm body cap lens. It's not a true fish, but it's still fun.

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I'd go for something longer P35-100/2.8 or O40-150/2.8

If you like primes, I'd look at the O75/1.8

12. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    The coming Oly 300mm f4.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    With the exception that Stefan does not want a telephoto. But the 35-100 being a relatively small lens might not be bad, I enjoyed it and the 75 while I had them. But great glass is only really great if you're going to actually use it. Otherwise it just takes up space or is nothing more than a piece of art you could hang on the wall.

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Lenses are always better than bodies, but... if you are OK with something bigger, and you make frequent adjustments, the EM10 is much better than the EPL5 for ergonomics and controls, but it's also a lot bigger (relatively speaking)

15. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I have been trolling through the 7.5 mm fisheye showcase and am blow away and intrigued by the lens and photos you can get either leaving as a fisheye or de-fishing for a very cheap wide angle. I really want this lens badly now not out of necessity for my shooting style, but more for a new challenge.

The other lenses that make my photoheart flutter is the 25 1.4 for it's character and I long for a 50mm equivalent. 25mm is really nice on the 12-40 2.8 I have, but not as fast as I would like. Also the 40-150mm 2.8 makes my mouth water from the sample images I see here, but I know that's not in consideration here.

Also like mentioned before adding flashes and modifiers are great ideas. The yongnuo 560iii flash and yn560 TX trigger are awesome. The tx allows you to do flash adjument from the trigger which is fantastic when the flash is in a softbox. And both together are just over $100.

16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    EM10 + 12-35mm is my favorite combo.

17. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks for all the great iinput

Thanks for the info - that may just be the deal breaker for me

Selling the E-pl5 is not an option as I use for UW and I really like the small size especially for UW (plus UW housing is really expensive and a housing upgrade would be too expensive) - also the E-pl5 with the 20mm pana is just very convenient.

I do like the em-10 though and might consider it in addition, but I am not sure whether it adds that much other than ergonomics. Maybe wait for a mark ii version.

The 12-35 used for 650$ would be nice but living in Denmark it is difficult to come by as the used market is not that big.

I am leaning towards the Samyang, just simply as it looks fun and challenging and comes at a very reasonable price.

Not familiar with the yongnuo 560iii flash and yn560 TX trigger (have only had a camera for about a year and I am only slowly learning. What can you do with those that cannot be done with e.g. the FL36r?

I like the speed aspect of the 25mm 1.4 - Speed and IQ are really why i constantly go back to the pana 20mm but having both the 20mm and the 25mm... hmmm not sure how much that would add.

How do you apply those what do they do?

18. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I actually have both the Fl36r and the 560 iii flashes and wouldn't give either up. The fl36r is nice in that it's fairly small has good features and works with Olympus TTL metering. That makes it really nice for family type stuff or at an event where you are don't have a lot of time to fiddle with manual settings. It also works remotely with the Olympus IR system which is nice. The downside there is that it's line of sight only. So if you're doing a setup and have the fl36r in a softbox or behind camera or on a really bright day you'll have a hard time getting the flash to sync.

That's where the 560iii comes in. It has a much higher guide number (flash output) so it works really well in light modifiers. And it can be triggered as an optical slave or by a radio trigger like the 560tx. Using radio frequency you don't have to have line of sight so the aforementioned issues go away. The trigger can also change flash setting without having to physically open up the softbox and do it on the flash which is a pain. The only downside to the combo is that it's not going to work with ttl.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes if you have an UW setup than keeping it makes sense for that.

But improvements over the E-PL5? There were several things from the E-M1 that found their way into the E-M10.
    • Upgraded image processor
    • MUCH improved Image stabilization over the E-PL5
    • Number of focus points up from 35 to 81 (actually something I considered when I decided to get the E-M10 instead of keeping the E-P5 I had though not one of the major factors, it was nice)
    • Screen resolution up from 460,000 to 1,037,000
    • Focus peaking truly implemented
    • Shutter improvements for shutter shock
    I've never used the E-PL5, but I did have an E-PM1. Yes handling is a big part of the improvement, but the rest is noticeable (or at least was for me).

I'm not saying that glass may not be the way to go, just that I'm not sure an E-M10 II will come out before an E-M1 II. And I can't see any feature of the E-M5 II that, if it found it's way into an E-M10 II, would make me want to upgrade.

20. wjiang

Like emorgan451, I have a lighter TTL/FP flash (Nissin i40) which is useful for quick informal stuff as bounce or minor fill. It's not really powerful enough to use as a softened key light for anything except macro.

The YN560s are way more powerful and can thus be modified through umbrellas, softboxes, etc, or used as fill lights outdoors. They're fully manual, so controlled shots only unless they're being used as broad bounce lights. The YN560-Tx lets me remote trigger them at range and doesn't matter about obstructions, or if the sun is pointing into them. It also lets me change flash zoom and power level without having to get to the remote flash (still fully manual though).
    For portraits and still life, I've got some cheap umbrellas, a softbox, and some light stands. For macro, I've got two DIY modifiers - a hand held diffuser made from a white ice cream container, and a light box made of a cut out cardboard box and tracing paper.