What has happenned to the skin tones (E-P2)?

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is the only shot from babysitting today where the skintones were all off. I was shooting in iAuto so the camera made the decisions. 1/500 sec at f5.6 ISO 250. Colours in the rest of the shots were fine.

4435345186_5a4e8cdbc2_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

steve

Mu-43 Veteran
Unfortunately, while the camera is smarter than us in so many ways, it's not a very creative thinker. The white balance is off here but can be easily corrected in post processing.

Generally the camera's auto white balance is pretty close if not spot on when evaluating the scene and applying WB settings. However, the camera can be fooled quite easily when a scene presents a mix of sun and shade.

I recommend shooting in RAW which allows a lot of latitude in color correction in post processing. I set my camera to auto white balance and fix any problems in Adobe Camera Raw. Jpegs can be adjusted this way as well, but do not offer nearly as much flexibility as RAW.

Either way, what an adorable kid!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bill, Steve's right. Should be an easy fix in PS.
The green under his chin is more concern than WB.
It might clear up in lens corrections..

alessandro

Mu-43 Regular
I would say... not only WB: looks like the camera saw all that green and adopted some color saturation dedicated to panorama shots. Lowering the saturation helps, but the green on the face is due also to reflection (his skin is wet, green everywhere...). Must say it'd need some local retouching (sponge or similar) to clean the chin.

steve

Mu-43 Veteran
I would say... not only WB: looks like the camera saw all that green and adopted some color saturation dedicated to panorama shots. Lowering the saturation helps, but the green on the face is due also to reflection (his skin is wet, green everywhere...). Must say it'd need some local retouching (sponge or similar) to clean the chin.

Good catch. I didn't think about that.

bashar

Mu-43 Regular
iauto is bad! sometimes the camera ignores people and thinks its a landscape picture and boost colors too much, program with colors set to Natural is much better and stable!

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ok back to Aperture Priority and RAW it seems. Have shot little and pp'd less over the last 6 months and lacked some confidence in myself. Point taken - thanks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom