What has been your experience with the E-M1 II & PL100-400?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wondering while I wait for the announce me of the EMIII, if I should put this on my list as deals are appearing that hit my price point.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use the 100-400 with my EM1 II with no problems. There was a post here which stated that Panasonic can't fix the 100-400; do a search to find it.

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Wondering while I wait for the announce me of the EMIII, if I should put this on my list as deals are appearing that hit my price point.
I'm using on the EM1, though I haven't used it extensively yet. Great lens. It wasn't on my radar, til the price came down either. The mount is tighter than usual, like some say, but I don't find it was much of a big deal as I expected. Zoom ring works fine (not overly stiff) as some early adopters complained.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I insured mine once I found out that a repair is the cost of the lens.

Glawsder

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Deryck
I have just returned from a trip to Victoria falls and Namibia. I bought an EM1 ii and PL 100-400 in January for the trip. In the camera shop the Mk1ii felt more comfortable than the G9, and dare I say it, I prefer the Olympus menu system. To say that I was thrilled with them is an understatement.

I have posted a few photos on other threads. Also there are a number in the 100-400 showcase from others.

You do need to practice though, and my shots with this combo are getting better. The later shots in Etosha were better than the earlier ones in Victoria Falls and that was after 4 weeks of photographing my record collection across the spare room in low light watching the results get sharper. Oddly enough I tried it again yesterday evening. The Em1ii photos were pin sharp, but the other 2 cameras were still quite shaky (EM10 and GX80 with dual IS).

Get them and enjoy, there will always be better things in the future, but you are not enjoying them now so why wait?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've got the PL100-400 Glawsder, just getting serious about a new body later this year.

Glawsder

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Deryck
D7K1, Just saying that, for me, the body makes a real difference with this lens. If you already have a larger body (sic) then maybe wait. But the EM1ii is a wonderful camera, I'm sure when it comes the iii will be better but why wait?

Real Name
Matt
I have just returned from a trip to Victoria falls and Namibia.

You do need to practice though, and my shots with this combo are getting better. The later shots in Etosha were better than the earlier ones in Victoria Falls and that was after 4 weeks of photographing my record collection across the spare room in low light watching the results get sharper.

I plan on bringing this combo to Kenya this June. Any suggestions for what or how to practice with this lens?

Glawsder

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Deryck
Hi Slowandsteady, I just took loads of photos in low light of my record collection at 400mm, where camera shake is obvious (whether text on the side of the record is fuzzy). But I didn't do enough real world photographs (it was a cold wet January here). It was noticeable that the photos at the end of my holiday were better IQ than at the start. So just take as many as you can, look at the failures and see if you can work out why?

You don't always have time to set the photo and I could have practiced more time picking the camera up and shooting quickly. About 10% of Birds in Flight were keepers, so I need more practice there.

Also finding the focus point can be difficult, I have a number of pictures of a cheetah where the grass in front of it is perfectly in focus, but the cat wasn't. So practice taking pictures through branches and leaves, setting focal point and making focus adjustments.

P2212589.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Matt
Did you use CAF-Tracking mode very often? Did you try different "stickyness" levels for continuous tacking? I assume you went with Lens stabilization 100% and turned off or simply over-rode the IBIS when using the 100-400? What about focus points while on Safari, I usually use spot about 90% of the time but am not sure that is my best choice for wildlife (I am a Landscape guy first and foremost).

Glawsder

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Deryck
I used Lens OIS and small spot focus I haven't had time to experiment with anything else. But for animals and relatively stationary birds that is fine. Hopefully some more experienced user can help us here.

Latest threads

Top Bottom