What happened?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by David A, Apr 19, 2012.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I took this shot of a walker passing me on the sidewalk, shooting with the camera held by my side. The details are E-P3, 12mm lens, ISO200, 1/6 sec @ f/2.8. The only processing is a curves adjustment in Aperture to recover highlights and add a very little amount of contrast.

I expected motion blur due to the length of the exposure since both the person and I were moving in opposite directions. I didn't expect what I've got. Apart from a right leg and arm the person has disappeared and there's a funny, very clear white image just to the right of the person just above wrist level. I have no idea of what that is or how or why most of the person disappeared. The only think I can think of is flare since the sun was setting somewhere on the other side of the fence (the horizon is below fence top level).

Really weird effect.

Explanations welcomed.

Attached Files:

2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Your shutter speed was too slow. When your shutter speed is too slow, people will disappear when they move.

You see the arm and leg because they were in the same position relative to the camera for a bit longer than other parts of the woman.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The near stationary parts (arm and leg) were in the same spot for most of the exposure so they appear distinct. The moving parts of the body were exposed for the full 1/6 seconds but over different areas of the frame, so you get one underexposed, indistinct blob.

That's why when you take an image of area that contains people walking, if you use a slow shutter speed you just get a bunch of fuzzy ghosts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    So basically you're saying that I got what I expected, motion blur, but I got around 5000% more of it than I expected.

Never seen that much blur on a close subject before. The result was way different from what I expected.

Must remember that for when I actually want it rather than when I don't :) I may have just added a new technique to my arsenal.

Thanks for the responses.

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    There is an Android app (maybe iPhone too) called Photo Tools. Lots of very useful features including a calculator for the required shutter speed for motion. Here we have about 10 km/h - 6 mph across the frame. With an m43 sensor and 12mm lens and distance about 2m - 6 feet, 1/750s would have frozen the motion. Anything less will have motion blur.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    All plausible explanations. Or perhaps she was a ghost?

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  7. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    That very clear white image you see looks like the subject's wristband, it might have been captured more clearly because when we walk our hands and wrist move the slowest at the end of the travel, this might have given the sensor a chance to capture it, also if the wristband is made of some shiny metal, it might have reflected some more light.

8. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    You probably also did a slight pan as well if you were moving while taking the picture.

9. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Ghost is plausible, definitely not a Vampire because a mirrorless camera was being used.

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

is this what they call ghosting. Oh wait the ghost has a purple fringe...

11. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm giving Ray the award for the answer I find most appealing. There's an old saying that you shouldn't let the truth get in the way of a good story and I'm happy to see that he's taken that to heart, especially as some people take the view that our pictures should tell a story. It's also helpful to see such strong agreement about the source of the ghost. Thanks for all of the replies.

12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The shutter speed was slow because it was starting to get dark, about right on sunset. I really wasn't interested in trying to get any more photos so I decided to practice shooting from waist level or below and work on my aiming. I simply left the ISO setting and aperture where they had been for the last shots I'd taken about 15 minutes previously and I really wasn't expecting particularly usable captures, just shots good enough to tell me what my aim was like.

For a similar reason I often try shooting birds I scare into flight as I pass with whatever lens I have on the camera, even the 12mm. Good practice at quick shooting. I've caught some interesting flight positions even though the shots aren't usable because the bird is too small in the frame and too close to the ground so there isn't enough contrast between bird and background. Helps me do a bit better when the conditions are better.

And every now and then, as on this occasion, I get something totally unexpected and interesting, and learn something about what will happen if I push some limit you would never deliberately push. I don't know if I'll ever try to capture this much motion blur deliberately but I now know that it can produce some interesting results and I've got a ball park figure for the kind of shutter speeds required to get those effects and they aren't as slow as I probably would have expected them to be if I had thought about it first.

There are times when I really like learning by making mistakes :)

13. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Yep. After all, you both were moving and, probably, quite rapidly :smile:.
    Here's an example of a bunch of ghosts at 1/3s, keep in mind that here the motion is not lateral.

p766212292-3.

This one is 1/3s too

p1033213251-3.

• Like Like x 1