What happened to the possible Olympus 25mm f1.8?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Henry, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    If I remember it correctly, the rumor last year was that Olympus was to announce a fast, normal FOV, plastic-build prime similar to the 45/1.8 and people theorized it would be a 25/1.8 lens. The announcement later on turned out to be for a 17/1.8 metal build lens. Based on rumors, there is no 25/1.8 but instead a couple of fast zooms will be announced in May. :2thumbs:
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you will note the rumor was listed as an FT2 which makes it very much just that, a rumor. It turned out to be wrong. I do hope somebody comes up with something to compete with the overpriced 25mm. I could even live with an f2 if it was nice and sharp and focused quickly and silently.

It is also possible that Olympus is working on such a lens and the info leaked too soon. Perhaps the prototypes showed flaws that need to be fixed before going into production? It could still happen. Surely Olympus knows from this and other forums/blogs that m4/3 users want a cheaper 25mm. There is also the possibility of Tamron or Sigma making one.
  4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nothing happened.

A year ago it was "a possibility" but no one had any info to confirm or deny the status of the rumour.

Today no one has any info to confirm or deny the status of that rumour so it still remains a possibility. Nothing has changed, nothing has happened. Whatever the state of affairs was a year ago, we have no reason to believe that state of affairs has changed in any way.

If you want a native 25mm lens your choices are still the PL 25mm F/1.4 or the Voigtlander 25mm if you are prepared to accept manual focus. Alternatively you can go for something a little shorter or longer. The closest option is the Panasonic 20mm but there are also the Sigma 19mm on the shorter side or 30mm on the longer side, or even either of the two Olympus 17m lenses. There are some very nice lenses in that group.

Your final question was "Any thoughts?" Well, our thoughts don't have any value without any info to back them up. Olympus can choose to release whatever lenses they like and they're going to make their choices based on what they can sell and profitability rather than what people say on forums like this, but 25 mm is notionally the standard focal length for M43 and they don't have a prime lens, or a fast lens, available at or near that focal length. That's a significant gap in their range in my view so it makes sense to me that they will fill that gap in due course. The only question is when, and it may not be anytime soon. Sure, they could probably sell more than a few 25mm lenses if they released one but there are alternatives out there and those alternatives have reduced the size of the potential market. People who already have the PL 25mm are going to be less likely to buy an Olympus 25mm. The first manufacturer to get a lens onto the shop shelves has an advantage and Panasonic gained that advantage. So, is Olympus more likely to do better by releasing a competing 25mm lens or by releasing a lens in a different focal length range where they will be the first? That's a question which I think is going to play a big part in when we see an Olympus 25mm. I think it will come but I would not start holding my breath until Olympus make an official announcement. Until then we're all just engaging in wishful thinking.
  5. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    SLR magic also has a 25mm but like the Voigtlander its a manual but I believe for about $400 less than the Voightlander.
  6. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    I don't want to sound like a fool by saying that I have the PL 25mm (I love that field of view, in fact, I use 50mm equiv. when I shoot film) but I usually keep my Olympus 45mm on my E-p3 simply because of its size.
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Well by definition, rumors aren't sure things......:wink: :smile:
  8. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    What he said. :)