1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What happened to that HUMMING noise on OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, May 22, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was just curious what happened to that humming noise on OMD which spreaded like a wild fire on internet forums .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    appears to still be humming...

3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    You'd think it would know the words by now.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Its still there but it has to be VERY VERY quiet for me to even notice it. I bought the camera in New York and even in my relatively quiet studio I never heard it, let alone out on the streets. Then the first time I turned on the camera back inside my much quieter home early one morning when there was NO extraneous sound, I actually heard it quite plainly and realized it did exist! I've heard it a couple more times in similar circumstances, but I've never heard it at all when I've actually taken the camera somewhere to shoot.

-Ray

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I think people are just humming along with it...subconsciously...

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    it was mob mentality....mass hysteria....Fear of the unknown. All rolled into one. Once people knew what it was and that it wasn't broken, it became no big deal.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    The humming is now music to their ears.

8. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Honestly, I've never heard a humming. What I do hear is a faint whirring, like a laptop fan on it's lowest setting. If I didn't know the camera was sealed, I'd be looking for a small vent somewhere. But it's quiet enough that you rarely notice it, so it's essentially irrelevant.

9. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    after a couple of days with the camera you forget about it, it is a surprise the first time you switch it on but that's it, then you don't even hear it unless you do it consciously, just like the noise any modern TV makes when on standby

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Like MikeB wrote, it sounds like a faint whirring. It's still there, but it's nowhere as annoying as the aperture blade lens chatter. Also not as annoying as an old screw-driven auto focus motor, which sounds like a dentist drill.

I returned the Fuji XPro1 because of the lens chatter, which did annoy me that much (but is now fixed after the firmware upgrade). I'm definitely not returning the OMD because of the whirring.

11. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    i can't hear it anymore, since the snake rattle sound overpowered the humming. :)

12. If you're in a quiet room just reviewing images on the screen or menu surfing it can be annoying, but in normal use you won't notice it.

13. Rover

Rover Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    Yeah, no big deal, just a little buzz. My 25 doesn't chatter either. I am missing out on all of the alleged failings of my new kit. Bummer.

14. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    I have to listen very hard to hear it on my camera. I doubt I would have noticed it at all if I hadn't read about it before I bought the camera.

15. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Drowned out by the awesome sound of shutter release, once people decided to shut the hell up and take pictures.

16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    My girlfriend can hear the humming when I'm trying to snap pictures of her changing. It sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    The only time I've ever heard it, other than really trying to hear it or put it up against my ear is when I was in a cabin in the middle of the woods.

The focus motor on the 20mm f/1.7 is way louder.

18. Rover

Rover Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    There are times when a leaf shutter is the only way to go. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm sure someone will be happy to trade with you!! :)

Unfortunately, my PL25 is not rattlesnaking on my OMD either. So I can't trade with you.

20. Jemski

Jemski Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2011
    Philippines
    Jeremy
    Oh my! I was so excited (and still am) with my OMD and I forgot that this even exists. I did not even bother to check when I handled mine