1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

what happened to lens prices?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RoyBell, Oct 30, 2013.

1. RoyBell

RoyBell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    I've been on a little 43 hiatus. I picked up my 20mm around Jan or Feb. I picked up the Panny 45-150 in spring for some sport shots with the kids. I went to see about picking up the 14-45 and it looks like the prices have all gone up $50-$100. What gives? The 14mm used to be under $200 i thought? Now it's touching $300! Did I miss something over summer?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Roy.

11/5/12 I paid $170 for a new 14mm :thumbup:.

The holidaze are comin' - maybe there'll be some deals in the offing?

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If you can't find a for all intents and purposes brand new 14mm lens that's been split out of a body kit for under $175, you don't know how to shop. I paid $139 for mine mint used last month. I don't think that a warranty card and a pouch and a box makes it worth double.

BTW, there's one for sale in near mint used condition for $150 in the Buy/Sell forum right now. That's pretty typical for a very clean used one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoyBell

RoyBell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    Missing the point dude. Like the fella above me said, you could buy them NEW for $170. As in not mint used for $150. That was through Amazon, which currently has it for $294. I bought my 20mm NEW through Amazon. It is currently going for $450 and I think I paid about $350-$370 for it. These are huge hikes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    You can still buy them NEW for $170, split out of kits. But not from Amazon. I preferred to get mine mint used for $139. BTW, 6 months ago, I got one from Samy's as part of a GF3 kit for $200 BODY & LENS. I sold the camera for $90, and also subsequently sold the lens for $160 when I bought my 7-14mm lens - which I came to regret selling my 14mm pancake, so I went and bought my 2nd one for $139.

If you have a problem buying a mint used one for under $150, or NEW unboxed one with no warranty for $170, and would rather pay a tax on the gullible and buy it new in it's box for $300, the problem is with you, not the marketplace. The fact is, that $170 price was ALWAYS a function of promotional kit pricing. Those deals come and go, but the underlying value of the lens has been established as no more than $175, bought the way it is widely available to be bought. Don't confuse the expiration of a special deal with a price hike. What you saw was a particular discount in a particular circumstance. You can STILL get the lens for that price, but the details of the circumstances whereby it can be gotten for that price is the only thing that has changed. If Amazon's price is not competitive with other venues, my suggestion is to get it from those other venues, not Amazon. It's really quite simple.

6. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    Perhaps a helpful way to look at the recently and significantly increased prices for desirable lenses is that the format is more widely valued with lens prices following. The 20mm is up, and the PL25mm and PL45mm each are significantly more expensive than a few months ago. The Olympus jumped up $50 to the original price within the last two weeks.

As long as the Duke Brothers aren't making the market, I'd score this a plus for mu-43.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The gf3 kits pushed 14mm prices down near nothing. Most kits are gone -> most cheap 14s are gone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The yen has been going through a lot of pressure to inflate itself over the last year. It was initially successful, however it deflated again over the past few months. As the yen inflates, prices should decrease to exported nations, and vice versa. I would expect to see increased volatility in Japanese import prices as they continue to try inflate the yen, and if you're in the US or EU as the recessions fade (hopefully) and currencies strengthen which should lower prices on Japanese imports.

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Maybe it's because now that the M4/3 system is more credible than ever, Pan/Oly figure they can charge more for the stuff because people will buy it anyways. Whereas before, the low price was one of the things that got people to buy M4/3...just a theory, I could be way wrong, though. ;) But it seems to me that they have us hooked, and now they're raising the prices...*cough* P20 *cough*

10. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    And there are very few non OEM lenses, so it seems Panny and Oly are employing the cheap printer, expensive ink model.

• Like Like x 1
  11. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I think it's just inflation. Prices are going up with everything. Lens production doesn't get more efficient than this. It's not like with microchips where the advancements in precision and microsystems are bigger.

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Funny, I thought lens prices had been falling for the most part. Olympus has been having Fire sale prices on lenses (refurbs) and giving rebates on lenses the past few mos. I'm sure there will be deals on black friday too. I mostly buy used too (mint) unless there is a really good rebate deal going on. Panasonic usually carry a premium, but the 25 has been up and down...last year it was out of stock and hard to find, which drove prices up to $550-600, but now I see used ones selling for $450ish.

13. RoyBell

RoyBell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    You are still missing the point. The used and new prices weren't that far apart. I don't think anyone would argue that they would rather have a new lens for $30 more. Kit lens, parted out, mint, whatever it's still used and you are dealing with a private seller opposed to an establishment with no warranty. I don't have the time to scour the for sale ads and wonder if I am getting a good deal, whether the lens will be good, really mint, decent quality, etc. Not to say I am not opposed to it because I have bought many used items of all types in the past. My point of this thread is that NEW prices have skyrocketed. Not that I can't find a decent deal on used lenses.

I think the 2 above quotes are probably the reason. They discounted early on to get the name and product out. now it's out and people like it, they jack the prices up. I don't even see the 14-45 avail anymore on amazon, but B&H/Adorama have it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    There's a substantial difference between not getting your point, and getting it but considering it to lack any validity - and I get your point, I just don't believe there's any actual merit to it. And actually, I'd rather have an for all intents unused non-warranteed mint used lens for $140 than a new warranteed lens for $175 Saving ~20% is for me, plenty of reason not to bother buying new in box.

15. RoyBell

RoyBell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    You must be one of those people that wants to convince the world your way of doing things is better than anyone elses. All the while skipping over the original question. I could see why you rather buy used, you have entirely too much time on your hands to not spend it looking for the next best deal. ;)

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Problem is, a lot of these "cheaper" lenses are made in China nowadays, and labor costs (factory workers in particular) there rises 10%+ every year, and the Renminbi is also trending upward all the time. Such increase in production costs has most likely contributed to the inflated price of the lenses. The opposite seems to be happening to the "high-end" lenses, such as the 12-35/2.8, 75/1.8, etc. though. Prices of those seem to be on a steady decline (just an overall impression. I'm too lazy to confirm this).

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Not at all. I'm simply dealing with someone who likes to continue to insist that someone who answered their questions somehow answered them incorrectly, instead of either taking the advice, or NOT taking the advice, but doing so without insulting the person who gave it to them. Learn how to accept guidance or not accept it without insulting someone who offered it.

18. RoyBell

RoyBell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    Let's recap.

I asked why lens prices have gotten so high.

You came back saying "If you can't find a for all intents and purposes brand new 14mm lens that's been split out of a body kit for under $175, you don't know how to shop. "

Then I said, why have new prices gotten so high.

To which you replied "If you have a problem buying a mint used one for under $150, or NEW unboxed one with no warranty for $170, and would rather pay a tax on the gullible and buy it new in it's box for $300, the problem is with you, not the marketplace."'

Yes, clearly you answered the original question, which was "why have lens prices gotten so high" with your constant remarks on why I should buy used and how I don't know how to shop and enjoying paying taxes. Tell me more about how to insult someone, as you seem to be an expert on the topic.

• Like Like x 3
  19. RoyBell

RoyBell Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    I wonder what the actual cost to produce these lenses are. Who woulda thought cheap labor would end up...not being so cheap.

20. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Agree that those comments were uncalled for. Now, let's grab an ice cold one and move on, shall we? :groups_cuddle:

• Like Like x 1