What good is an HDMI port?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DanSullivan, Jun 30, 2013.

1. DanSullivan

DanSullivan Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Dan Sullivan
    Does anyone really use this port for anything? My camera manual says it is for hooking to a TV; are you kidding me?

I would much rather see the manufacturers include external mike/headphone jacks in its place.

What am I missing here?
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Every digital camera I have owned came with some sort of cable to hook up to a TV... Never have used any of them. Seems like a legacy from the days when computers and tablets weren't as ubiquitous and there was deemed a need to share images with a group of people.

Only real use i can see is perhaps for tethered shooting, or a remote monitor for video shooting, but many of the cameras don't actually output the live view anyway.

Agreed it needs to be reconsidered

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    On my 5DIII I often tethered the camera to an external monitor or electronic viewfinder like a very nice SmallHD I used to own. It was great for pulling focus in video shooting, and even for meticulous macro setups where you need to nail absolute focus or focus stack (the SmallHD unit had focus peaking functions, plus the larger size was nice).

Using it just to display images? Has anyone ever done that?
  4. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    If only we could do external monitoring on our m4/3 cameras. (Unless I’m wrong. Totally willing to be wrong here)
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This. The RX100, for example, has live HDMI, so you can connect up a small monitor to it and then you have a nice and yet still tiny video rig.
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the GH2 and 3 have live HDMI output. This is for video purposes. They really need to make this standard on all top models if not all of them!!!

As for why an HDMI out{other than live output} is so you can show video on your TV as well as the pictures. I have never used a camera in such a manner, not even a video camcorder. I always processed them through my Mac.
  7. super8man

super8man Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    When I travel, I use this to share images. Everyone has a HDMI TV so as long you bring the appropriate cord to connect the camera to the TV, you are set. I also stream my Kindle to my HDTV so there you go.
  8. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yep - sans HDMI you can't use an external monitor which is extremely helpful when filming. I've heard of them being used in photography situations as well, but I'm not sure how much real use that would be. I use it with a shoulder mount rig with my GH2 and it's pretty awesome. Given to choose between this functionality and a mic/headphone jack I'd take the HDMI, personally, but of course I'd want all three (and have them on my 5d MkIII, as well as a mic jack and HDMI on my GH2). :smile:

There's also the possibility of dumping video direct to an external drive, but I'm not sure any of the m4/3 cams can do that - I've never tried.

On the GX1 the HDMI is inactive while the camera is in use, so it can't be used for either of the above purposes, but once it came in handy for reviewing some stuff when I didn't have a computer around, so it's not completely useless I suppose.
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I just checked my OM-D manual and it says you can't shoot photos or videos when there's an HDMI cable attached to the camera. Well that's stupid.