1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What glue for eyecup?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dancebert, May 3, 2016.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Eyecup is a copy of the Nikon substitute for the Oly EM5 part. The rubber-ish eyecup came off the metal. It was glued on at the factory. What type glue should I use or avoid?

Difficulty level: traveling in Spain for the next month. Can't buy another because only shops listed on Nikon's Spanish site are the nation's only department store. No parts stock.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I would use a 2-part epoxy. Good durability and heat resistance.

3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    In an earlier thread for someone who had the exact same issue, I had recommended This to That (Glue Advice) for looking up what glue to use for different surfaces. In this case, the site recommends using a silicone-based glue for rubber and metal.

Good luck with the pesky eyecup.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I would use neither. Both the epoxy and the RTV (silicone) become insoluble when cured*. If the cup comes off again or you need to replace it, you'll have a mess on your hands. Reworkability IMO is more important than finding the theoretical best adhesive.

If it is a rubber-to-metal bond, then plain old contact cement or something similar will work fine. That's probably what Oly used. Then if you need to remove the adhesive residue, lots of solvents will do the job. Acetone, MEK substitute, brake cleaner, Goo-Gone, ... None of these will affect the metal or the rubber but you will have to carefully apply the solvent with a Q-tip or something else you can control to keep the solvent off any plastic pieces/places on your camera.

*Epoxy can sometimes be softened and dissolved but it is a long slow process. Probably there is a nasty chemical somewhere that will dissolve cured silicone rubber. But IMO both adhesives are effectively insoluble in an amateur maintenance environment.

5. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    From the OP, I understood that the eyecup itself had come apart with the metal piece separating from the rubber. I would not recommend gluing the eyecup to the camera. The eyecup on my E-M10 (already on #2 having lost the first one) is held purely by friction with the metal piece sliding into a groove.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Got it. If there is never going to be a need for reworkability then the situation changes. In that case I would probably try some superglue. I am an epoxy and RTV user from way back but lately I have been finding that superglue is a good solution to many of my problems.

Regarding gluing the eye cup to the camera I have seen it done both ways. Some contact cement would provide additional security at no real cost, so I would tend to go that direction unless he eye cup was really tight on its own. YMMV.

7. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Based on a recommendation when I lost my first eyecup, I put a little strip of electrical insulating tape on the edges which slide into the groove. The added friction has held it in there. Contact cement would probably be a better idea.

Taking the thread a little off topic: I love superglue but hate the fact that the tubes end up being single use for me because no matter how well I clean the nozzle before replacing the cap, the damn thing ends up glued tight when I go back to use it. Any tips?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. BTDT.

What I do now is buy a package of a dozen (or whatever) small tubes at Home Depot. (Super Glue 0.07 oz. Multi Pack Glue (12-Pack)-15187 - The Home Depot or Amazon.com: Super Glue The Original Super Glue 15187, .07 Ounce, 12-pack: Home Improvement) When I open one and use some of the glue, I put the tube on my workbench leaning vertically against the back wall or some other object. This way the glue drains away from the tip. Usually I can get two or more uses out of the tube before it is garbage. The longer it sits the more likely it will become garbage, too. When the tube doesn't work any more I just toss it and start with a fresh one from the package. At 50 cents per tube or so, I don't lose a lot of sleep over it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. ruralvelo

ruralvelo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson, NC
    Edwin Young
    I prefer the Loctite brand of super glue. One of their dispenser bottle has squeezable sides that gives great control of delivery. Also, I am able to exhaust the tube prior to having issues with the tip. ImageUploadedByMu-431462304550.386260.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The first thing is to suck back as much glue as possible from the tip, pressing on the side of the tube. Then push a little up and down again if you see bubbles still moving inside the tip (translucent ones at least), eventually all the glue will fall down or out. Then buy the smallest tubes you can find.

11. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Correct. No problem with the metal piece. It goes on and stays put. The rubber comes off the metal piece.

I now have 1 intact eye cup, 1 metal piece and 2 detached rubber pieces. I'll try superglue first because I found some for sale. If it doesn't hold, I should be able to scrape the glue residue off the metal piece and try again with different glue, or maybe just glue over it.

12. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    I'm a great believer in polyurethane sealer / glue from Sika which is normally used for boat deckings. I've used it on boats and leftovers I've spread it on the soles of shoes and gave them a new lease of life. Just make sure the surfaces are grease free. Would not use acetone, often it dissolves paints, plastics. I prefer to use nafta (sigarette lighter fluid) but still test in a hidden area first.

Silicone can be removed using methylated spirits (denatured alcohol).