What genres?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dornblaser, Jul 4, 2013.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    What genres do you prefer? For me, I prefer travel and outdoors pictures. Over the last year or so, I always have at least a PEN with me so I have been able to capture some interesting shots that my iPhone would not have done justice to. However, I am not a street photographer. I have made the conscious decision to add churches/cathedrals and gardens, particularly, cottage and natively planted gardens as two genres that I actively pursue in the the future. I would be interested in hearing what genres you focus on.
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I love that word "genre"....:biggrin:
    I don't know if I have a preference "per se"...( like that too :biggrin: ) but I find myself shooting autos, bikes, & air most frequently but primarily in part because they are the most easily accessible venues for me...
  3. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I can happily shoot anything, but I get most excited shooting street, urban landscape, and live music. Don't really do nature or macro at all.
  4. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    My favorite are without a doubt travel and portraits with natural light.
    Travel actually includes different genres: it can be landscape, street, etc...
  5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    - People
    - Things with straight lines.
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    David, I've been shooting since 1969 and if I ever figure out the answer to your question I'll save a ton of money in buying (or not buying) gear :biggrin: .

The motto around here has always been "If it moves, photograph it, if it doesn't move then photograph it slower".

The best use I make of the camera is at family functions (reunions, graduations, birthday parties, anniversaries, etc. Funerals, maybe, not so much). It gives me something to do while the Princess of the Exchequer schmoozes with relatives I can't even remember. Since I'm busy making photographs I'm not giving her the "Time To Go" look which leads to a much better experience in the car on the way home :biggrin:. The amount of money I've wasted on photo gear pales compared to the cost of a divorce.

My favorite site is the Detroit Zoo; it's a short ride from the house and the staff are very camera friendly - never an issue setting up a tripod if one desires.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love all photography but my least liked "genre" is portraiture. I just don't like working with people that way but I am an introvert so that may explain that. On the other hand, I like doing candids.

If it is just me having fun, my favorites would be landscape{wide view}, nature{the details} and animals. Animals can be very frustrating at times but I think the waiting soothes me somehow. If I am in an urban setting I tend to shoot architecture, from the wide view to the small details. I do take candids when I see good ones but all too often I am too focused on the buildings and such to see them.
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Travel and candid street...hence the switch from my Canon 5D Mark II + L lenses to the OM-D! :D
  9. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    I like Hooters girls....

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app
  10. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    My #1 choice is travel... but partly because I enjoy travelling :D

I also like landscape and nature. Urban landscape too.

I'm not a big fan of taking portraits - I only tend to take photos of my family, particularly the nieces and nephews - but I often find those portraits are the photos I am most happy with.
  11. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    So far it's nature and macro for me. That's sort of what I set out to do in the first place. I find abandoned places to be intriguing too and while I've spotted some potential targets I haven't found the opportunity to try them. Secondarily is architectural. I do think these are sort of the 'easy pickin's' of photography though. I'm intrigued by street but I have discovered that I'm really horrible at photographing people. I seem to have a talent for capturing the bad lisence photo moments of most of my human subjects. Something to work on I guess.
  12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    I've tried out most genres and enjoy having a wide range of challenges. I think Glammer & deep space astrophotography are the only two genres I can think of that I haven't got any images from, though the list of those that I've nothing good from is certainly longer.

I suspect motorsport action shots probably make up the bulk of my images, having been involved in motorsport through work for over 15 years. Events such as the local airshow & re-enactments also tend to get me shooting away with no regard for the time needed to reprocess later. Wildlife, landscape & macro also make a reasonable proportion of my library whilst My portraits & street photography are more limited as I'm not so much of a people person.
    Infra red & tilt photography have recently been taking up a larger bit of my photography time whilst astrophotograhy and microscopy will normally only make an entry in the winter months...