what flashes to get. GH3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dphotog, Oct 14, 2013.

1. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    I thinking of purchasing 2 flashes. Friends reccomnsed the yongno 560 iii because it has built in receivers. I have budget of about $100 per flash give or take was curious on any alternatives I will mainly shoot portraits with them. I dont believe I can use the ttl from panasonic unless I have panasonic flashes if im correct? Im not familiar with flashes I mainly do video but looking into more serious flash photography

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  3. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    awesome!! Thanks but i wonder what the remote will run x_x this defintely makes me lean more toward getting it now. I honestly dont even know what the higher models of the Yongnuo's offer over the 560iii

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If you're ok with manual flash, I am very happy with my Yongnuo flashes (YN-560 II for manual and Yongnuo YN-568EX for Nikon w/TTL). I also use RF-603 and RF-622 triggers. Based on that experience I would have no problem buying a couple 560 III flashes and the accompanying remote in the future.

If you want TTL, you can use a Panasonic *or* Olympus flash. I've had a good experience with the Olympus FL-600R on a GH3.

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    For TTL flash, there are a number of (fully compatible) Metz units that are much better value than the Olympus/Panasonic equivalents.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    All the TTL flashes are not in the 100$ per flash limit. In the case of remote flash for studio work TTL is not important.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Oh right, I totally forgot about the Metz for some reason. I had one and returned it in favor of the much smaller Olympus FL-600R but the Metz offer a lot of great features at a reasonable price.

This is true, but for example there's a Metz 50 on amazon through KEH for $165 so if you did want TTL it's available at a reasonable price. But of course manual flashes like the Yongnuos are clearly the best value if you don't need or want that feature set.

Side note: I know everyone in the strobist world is all about the manual flash, but TTL is definitely still useful. I use it frequently for bounce flash where I am going to be moving around and would otherwise need to adjust the flash output constantly.

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Agree, in a non controlled environment where you move or your subjects are moving TTL is needed.

9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Sorry, I was responding to Jay's post but forgot to quote it!