1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

what flashes to get. GH3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dphotog, Oct 14, 2013.

1. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    I thinking of purchasing 2 flashes. Friends reccomnsed the yongno 560 iii because it has built in receivers. I have budget of about $100 per flash give or take was curious on any alternatives I will mainly shoot portraits with them. I dont believe I can use the ttl from panasonic unless I have panasonic flashes if im correct? Im not familiar with flashes I mainly do video but looking into more serious flash photography

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  3. dphotog

dphotog Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    awesome!! Thanks but i wonder what the remote will run x_x this defintely makes me lean more toward getting it now. I honestly dont even know what the higher models of the Yongnuo's offer over the 560iii

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If you're ok with manual flash, I am very happy with my Yongnuo flashes (YN-560 II for manual and Yongnuo YN-568EX for Nikon w/TTL). I also use RF-603 and RF-622 triggers. Based on that experience I would have no problem buying a couple 560 III flashes and the accompanying remote in the future.

If you want TTL, you can use a Panasonic *or* Olympus flash. I've had a good experience with the Olympus FL-600R on a GH3.

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    For TTL flash, there are a number of (fully compatible) Metz units that are much better value than the Olympus/Panasonic equivalents.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    All the TTL flashes are not in the 100$ per flash limit. In the case of remote flash for studio work TTL is not important.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Oh right, I totally forgot about the Metz for some reason. I had one and returned it in favor of the much smaller Olympus FL-600R but the Metz offer a lot of great features at a reasonable price.

This is true, but for example there's a Metz 50 on amazon through KEH for $165 so if you did want TTL it's available at a reasonable price. But of course manual flashes like the Yongnuos are clearly the best value if you don't need or want that feature set.

Side note: I know everyone in the strobist world is all about the manual flash, but TTL is definitely still useful. I use it frequently for bounce flash where I am going to be moving around and would otherwise need to adjust the flash output constantly.

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Agree, in a non controlled environment where you move or your subjects are moving TTL is needed.

9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Sorry, I was responding to Jay's post but forgot to quote it!