1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What flash to get?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Wab, May 29, 2016.

1. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I've been asked to take some night-time images for a night running race (in November).

Ideally I would like something I could use off-camera (I do have some slaves which I could trigger with the flash on my E-M10 I suppose), but is there an off camera flash with TTL ability around the £100 mark?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    It's over your price limit, but I can recommend the Nissin i40 - it's got all capabilities you want, is very compact and works well. A stand (and softbox) is included.

The Metz Mecablitz 26 AF-2 looks interesting for such a compact unit, too - it can be used as a TTL slave and comes with a stand.

M.

3. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

If you want to use it off camera I'd recommend against the i40 and look elsewhere. The auto power off "feature" on it makes it a total joke for that purpose.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A cheap TTL flash is not a good TTL flash for off camera, if for no other reason than they are just too weak. If you can find a used one with at least GN36 then it might be alright.

I personally have a Nissin i40 that I bought new and a Metz 52 AF-1 that I bought second hand recently for a ridiculously low price, I'd definitely use the Metz over the i40 for off camera. I never used the i40 off camera in all the time I've had it except for macro.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    If it's a night-running race, and you'll be shooting from nearly the same distance each time, you could get a manual flash (or rent a strobe) and work it that way...

6. dvcdude

dvcdude Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2016
    Dave McKenna
    Yongnuo YN560 IV and YN560TX is about $100 USD.

7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think the Nissin i40 is a good choice, (I haven't used the 52 though), it might not be as powerful as the 52 at balancing exposures under NZ sunlight, but it has the most straight-forward operation I've seen, and it can be triggered not only in TTL mode but also full manual mode, which could be much more useful than some may think. During a recent shooting I simply asked my friend who has zero expertise in photography to hold the i40 for me and dial the output up and down in stops as I asked, turns out manual mode is totally acceptable. During that recent shooting I've set the output of i40 mostly between 1/64-1/8, distance from subject 1-2m, base ISO and 2.8 aperture, whether GN40 is enough or not will depend on how one's going to shoot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Why do you need TTL for off camera? Doesn't sound like lighting conditions will be changing much.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The only thing I can imagine in this case is that distance from flash to subject might vary unless you manage to trap the runners at exactly the same point each time. In this case, I assume the flash is not being used as fill but as the key light.

You don't exactly get multiple passes at each runner so manually adjusting power could get tricky given that the flash is basically the only light source - doable though as long as you err on the side of caution and tune the power a little lower then push in post if required.

It's also why I suggest a powerful flash - you don't get multiple chances so it might be prudent to dial the power down for faster recycle time.

10. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2013
    I think I would look for a used Metz 45 hammer head flash, either a CT4 or CL4, then either a Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe adapter to connect to the E-M10, or the appropriate SCA lead and adapter.

Since you can let the flash do the exposure control, no need for the TTL special adapter. You can get battery holders on line which just need six AA alkaline batteries.