What flash for EM5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fsuscotphoto, May 31, 2013.

1. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'm terribly confused about flash in general, but I'm learning and getting better. Here is my question though: Which on camera flash units besides the Oly units will give me ETTL compatibility? I don't want to spend a fortune but at the same time I want something that works without having to make workarounds. Sure, I old buy the FL600, but I really want to see what else is out there.

Thx from Mouse Land.

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Metz and Nissin... and I think Yongnuo(?) all have Four-Thirds flashes with TTL.

Basically, you're looking for any flash made for the "Four-Thirds" system. The flash system used for both Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds bodies is the same system.

3. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Thanks, that helps a lot.

4. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I chose to buy a used Olympus FL-36R for € 95 (which is about $115 I guess) for the few moments I need a flash...

Wireless flash capabilities, relatively small form factor and cost where my main reasons to get this one. Can be a bit slow in recharging after a full-power flash, but besides that I think it's a bargain at this price...

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually, NONE! Each camera brand has its own TTL protocol/language. Canon's ETTL is not compatible with Oly's TTL or Nikon's iTTL.

The way to use multiple flashes is to set the power level of all the flashes to a manual setting (like 1/2, 1/4, etc.) and use optical slaves (or radio slaves).

6. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I think you are overlooking the 3rd party brands like Metz, Nissin and of course the Panasonic flashes...

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes you can get third party flashes that are compatible with OLYMPUS' wireless TTL flash protocol, but they WON'T make the Olympus camera compatible with Canon's ETTL flash protocol (as the opening post asked).

The only way to fire a Canon flash from an incompatible way is to switch it to manual optical slave move (if possible), or use a radio slave (again non-TTL).

8. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    My assumption was/is that the TS made a mistake in using the abbreviation ETTL instead of TTL as there is no further mentioning of any Canon-equipment...

9. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    You are correct. I'm still mostly living in the Canon world.

10. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    As an alternative, there's a good thread here on the tiny Olympus fl300r flash:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f106/fl-300r-simple-flash-uses-46141/

It's not as powerful as the other suggestions here, but it's the size of a deck of cards! It will also work off camera in RC mode triggered by the tiny LM2 flash. Works well as an 'always with you 'combination, and hardly takes up any room if you're travelling light.

I've been playing with it just holding it out with my other arm and triggering with the on-cam LM2, TTL works fine :)

11. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    No more than I use a flash, that might be the answer. Then if I really need more light I can go manual by adding my Canon lights.

Thx