What Flash do you use?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Toonman, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Ok. I'm at point where I want to invest in a flash. I'm interested in other members setup and why?

So over to you.......What do you use?

2. Olympus FL-36

because: I got one used for $100

Pros: Genuine Olympus flash, fully compatible with micro four thirds and four thirds. Tilt and swivel head, built-in diffuser. Does the job for it's given size and specs. Size and weight means it is relatively well balanced on a m4/3 body. Takes only 2x AA batteries.

Cons: Very slow to charge from startup and recycle. Takes only 2x AA batteries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Yes. I have looked at the FL36 it seems good value. It's about £150-£180 over here (new).

One hundred Bucks sounds like a good deal to me!

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have 2 x Metz 58 AF-2, 1 x FL 36R, three LED lights and several studio heads. I use the Metz's for weddings, the 36R when I travel and the studio stuff, in the studio. I am however moving to using the LED's more and more as its nice to finally have a really good system for constant lighting.

Gordon

5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    For :43:, have flash but don't use it :smile:

6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    +1 on all of the above. Except I switched to to Sanyo Ni-MH eneloop batteries, and that made a considerable difference in recycle time.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  7. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    The one on my E-PL2, of course. :>)

Or one or more of my old flashes via PC adapter and wires when I want to do the "strobist" thing.

8. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Ditto here - might be worth mentioning that the FL36 gives all the TTL and FP TTL options, which might not be the case with some of the third party flashes.

9. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Hi - I'd be interested to know what LEDs you are using ?

10. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    I've just bought the 7 day shop badged LED (which is actually the Yongnuo model SYD0808 or so I am told). It had a lot of good reviews. It's on special offer at 7dayshop at the moment.
    7dayshop.com - Online Store

It's been dispatched yesterday so I'm waiting to receive it so can't comment on how good it is yet.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I mainly use original Olympus OEM flashes, the FL-36R, FL-50, and FL-50R. The reason my collection is mostly Olympus though, is not entirely by preference. In my field, flash is all essential and I need to keep up a set of at least 4 or 5 of them reliably. When one breaks down or I have a shoot requirement of more than I have on hand, then I need to seek a replacement immediately. Where I live, OEM is all we have in stores. No Metz, Sunpak, Nissin, etc., unless they're ordered over the internet. Sometimes I might find an old Vivitar, Canon, etc. in the used bins, but that's all chance of luck. It just so happens that Olympus provides the best retail value for flash over Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic, etc. (Sony and Minolta can't be used because they have a different hotshoe), especially with the FL-36R which is half the price of the FL-50R.

Now, I do love the FL-36R. It produces decent light, and at half the price of the FL-50R you could get two instead of one, which is better light (more light and more light sources) than a single more powerful FL-50R. It's also very compact, and great to fit in a PEN kit. However, I have to have the FL-50 or FL-50R in my arsenal for its fast recycle times. There are shots which require that consecutive shooting without delay. The FL-50R also produces a lot more light for single flash applications.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Really interesting, keep them coming. The LED setup sounds interesting.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Slightly off topic, I've been thinking about getting a small flash for my E-P1, mainly to use as a fill flash. The Oly FL-14 might fit the bill, but man its rather expensive for what it is. Are there any other small flashes that would work well with the PEN?

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Olympus FL-36R is ideal for the PEN, in my opinion. Anything smaller is not worth bothering with, as it won't have a proper head to mount diffusers on. I say the R model because it can also be triggered wirelessly from your Remote Commander on the E-PL1 or E-PL2, or the pop-up flash (no TTL) from the Panasonic GF-1 or GF-2, even with the Olympus VF-2 or Panasonic LVF viewfinder attached to the hotshoe.

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'm using the cheap eBay 160LED panels, and they're fantastic. I tested them against the micro panels which are $400 and they're as good if not better. All for 60.00 each. I use Sony info lithium batteries instead of AAs though as the AAs aren't as bright and don't last long at full brightness.

I forgot that I do also have a FL 14. It's fine as an occasional flash, but I tend to gravitate toward units with bounce and swivel for my needs. The FL36 is actually my preferred flash on my M9 as it's very easy to use as an auto or manual flash.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  16. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I use FL-36R & the Nissin Di466. The FL-36R is way more versatile but the Nissin is white, like my E-PL2, and lighter, so I take it out with me more often :smile:

5510826736_4c15775277_z.
    Nissin Di466 in WHITE by Taz Spin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  17. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Tonight I tried this setup and works pretty well (not so handy, but photos come good!)

[​IMG]

Works with camera in manual mode (shutter under 1/180, i chose iso and F settings) and flash in A mode (just need to set the same iso and f settings)

18. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Some really interesting setups!

The FL36r seems to be popping up a lot.

19. Kade.Sirin

Kade.Sirin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2010
    Las Vegas
    SB-15 for me. Nice and portable.

20. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

So after doing some reading, it appears that the only way to get fill flash(all I need) is to get a flash with the super FP TTL. My A560 will do fill flash, and its only a 150 dollar camera. The FL-36r is way more than I want to pay for a flash I might use once or twice a year. I guess it is just a shutter and sync issue for SLRs. Thanks for the advice.