What first lens.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Neon, May 7, 2012.

1. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    I have a Panasonic G3 with the kit lens 14-42.
    What would be your advice for a first prime lens to buy ? I shoot all kinds of stuff (street,portrait,buildings,candid etc.) and want good IQ and would rather pay more to future proof myself for when I upgrade my body.
    Thanks.

2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    the 20mm 1.7 is the most popular lens in micro 4/3, you might want to check this out. At 40mm equivalent, it's a very versatile lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I vote for the 20mm f/1.7 or the 25 f/1.4. The 45mm is a bit long for what was listed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    The 25mm/f1.4

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Given the uses that you listed I agree with the 25mm. A fine lens and very versatile - the 20mm, however, is a pancake and easier to pocket if that matters.

• Like Like x 1
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'd take a look at the EXIF data for the shots you've taken with your kit lens and see what focal lengths are getting the most use with it. That should give you an idea of whether you want to consider a wide angle like the 12, 14 or 17, a standard lens like the 20 or 25, or a telephoto like either of the two 45s.

Within those ranges it should be relatively easy to pick the right lens for your needs.

With the wides the 17 is the weakest optically, and also the slowest but it's also the cheapest. It's not a bad lens but the other two are better. The 12 is wider and the fastest but also the most expensive, and also the biggest of the three though it still isn't a big lens. The 14 is the smallest, fractionally smaller than the 17, so it makes a very good choice if you want to minimize the size of the camera and carry it with you always.

With the standards, the 20 is also a pancake lens like the 14 and 17 so it's also quite small and makes a very good lens if you want the camera with you always. The 25 is bigger, the biggest of the native primes, better optically by a small margin, and the most expensive. It's my favorite but it's size makes it an awkward lens to carry with you always unless you have a reasonable sized bag to carry it in. Provided you can afford it, I'd go with the 25 unless size is an issue for you.

Of the 45s, the Oly is the fastest and cheapest. The Panasonic is slower but is also a macro lens whereas the Oly is really a portrait lens. Both are very good optically. I'd go with the Oly unless you want a macro lens.

As lenses, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Just pick based on the focal length range that best suits your shooting style and any other relevant criteria such as size or cost.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Thanks very much for the advice.
    Very useful post David A

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    my two cents

You won't go wrong with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. It's a very useful focal length and a very nice little lens. I personally feel that just about EVERY :43: shooter should have this lens (or the larger Pana-Leica 25mm f/1.4).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Budget: Sigma 19 or 30mm f/2.8 ($199), Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 ($159)
    Moderate: Olympus 45 mm f/1.8 ($330-$399) or Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 ($325-$360)
    Pricier: Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 ($500-$540) or Olympus 12mm f/2.0 ($675-$799)

It all depends on what you want to shoot. If you want best overall and useful focal length, go with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 or Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 (depending on your budget). I have the P20 myself and it is a great lens. The 45mm may be too long depending your purposes. The Sigma 19 or 30mm are both really good lens for the price.

The prices I've listed is between used and new.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey Neon, I would recommend you, to go take a walk around and shoot some pics with your Kit Lens, and after a couple of days or maybe a week of shooting, check out all the pictures you really like, and see whats the FOV you like the most out of those images. Or probably the one you felt more comfortable with. but im thinking your decision will probably be in between the 14, 20 or 45mm. Unless you want to shoot birds, which is a different story... :thumbup:

most of all, have fun with your camera, cause the comfortable you feel with it, the more you will shoot and carry it with you.

just my $2c!

• Like Like x 2