What firmware updates would you like to see on the G3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    The G3 is a great camera but I'd like to see a few firmware updates to fix a few niggles.

Firstly allow the ISO to auto adjust when in manual mode, currently you have to select an ISO, auto ISO is disabled in manual mode, Olympus cameras allow you to switch auto ISO on or off in manual.

Second, allow ISO 6400 to be auto selected as the max auto ISO value, currently it's 3200 and 6400 has to be selected manually.

Third thing, when using AE-Lock or AF-lock the FCN button has to be pressed and held to set the AE or AF lock then the shutter pressed to set the focus or exposure and take the photo, it's a bit of a cack-handed operation, so it would be good if they configured it so a half press of the shutter button sets the AE or AF lock and a full shutter button press takes the photo....the same as Olympus cameras do.

That's all I can think of for now, anyone else have any niggles?

2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Allow manual selection of iso in movie mode.
    Ability to start / stop movie with shutter button.
    Ability to disable all Buttons if required.
  3. Oz-and-Beyond

Oz-and-Beyond New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    Allow the shutter release timer to fire all exposures in a bracket. I can set a 7 step bracket but the release timer will only take one picture. (My Lumix old Fz5 can trigger a 3 step bracket using the timer.)
  4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Focus peaking.

(Why not? Sony added it in a firmware update.)
  5. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Same thing I have been asking for since the G1: Tethering to a computer via USB cable.
  6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    tethered shooting for sure. I didn't think about it, but chuck reminded me of it, heh.

otherwise, I'm pretty happy w/ the g3 from a software standpoint. manual video controls would be nice actually as well.
  7. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    I may be misunderstanding you here but in the menu you can set the focus/exposure lock button to a lock hold setting. I have mine set to AE with the lock hold function and I only press it once and it holds exposure until I press it again. If I have it set to AF lock hold, when I press it, it focuses on the subject and holds that focus until I press it again. I don't understand why it has focus lock though, isn't that the same as half pressing the shutter button and holding it to recompose the image?

8. Brian1954

Brian1954 Mu-43 Rookie

I really like Mellow's focus peaking idea. That would be a great thing for the way I use my G3.

9. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Exposure Lock in video mode I'd really really love. Overall manual control would be nice too, but seems like too much to ask given that Panny doesn't want the G3 to intrude on the GH2's space. Maybe after the GH3 comes out? I consider myself quite good with manual focus even without any sort of assist, but peaking seems like it would be useful during video as well. I really have no complaints with the firmware when it comes to stills.

Oh wait, if they adapted a "what you see is what you get" setting for live view, that would be amazing. It's really annoying how often your shots are underexposed during nighttime unless you are using spot focus unless you remember to use AE preview.
  10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Yes you are correct it can be set to press and hold but then you have to reset it or it just keeps that setting, the Oly cameras have it so you press the shutter halfway to achieve AE or AF lock then when you recompose press it all the way to set either exposure or focus depending if Ae or AF lock is selected and take the photo, a much more practical and easier operation.

Without AE or AF when you half press the shutter both exposure and focus are locked together, with AE or AF selected only one of those is locked and the other is selected when you press the shutter all the way, so you can focus on an object using AF lock then recompose still retaining that focus but the camera will set the exposure to the new composition.

11. iau

iau Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    I wish Panasonic would ad a feature that made it possible to lock rear buttons on all their cameras. Especially the "dial buttons". Right now that is my main problem with their cameras (currently own GX1). I keep changing WB, ISO, bracketing all the time. The Fuji X100 has one and I find it very useful.
  12. Phil66

Phil66 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    This is more of a software upgrade. I'd like to be able to set the default aperture when in iA. At the moment it defaults to large aperture (background defocus), this means if you hand it to someone who hasn't a clue who wants to take a snap shot of something you have to be sure to set it to the other end of the scale if it is a landscape or something like that.

Would be good to either set the default "on mode" or for it to remember the last setting.
  13. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    Yes, being able to customize the iA mode would be great!

Other than that, I would also like Focus Peaking. If Panasonic doesn't add it then I hope the Vitaly hack does.

I would enjoy delving into the world of manual focus legacy glass but don't feel comfortable doing so without focus peaking.
  14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Okay, I'll bite: what in the world is "focus peaking"?? And why would I want/need it??
  15. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    I like the way it currently works - it is convenient for multi-shot panoramas, where I like to lock exposure but refocus for each shot. So I would be happy to have it extended in the way you suggest, provided you could still use it the way you can now.
  16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Focus peaking is where the camera shows you the areas with highest contrast in the image (in most implementations they either blink or 'shimmer'). This effectively corresponds to the areas that are in focus, which is great for manual focusing, since you can use it to focus reasonably accurately without needing to magnify at all.

17. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I wouldn't want that. Manual is manual is manual. I wouldn't want any automated feature to intrude when using manual mode, or even the possibility of that feature being activated inadvertently. Manual means manual. Period.

A hardware feature I would like to see is a second control wheel. The flimsy single wheel does not give me confidence in its durability, and having to push it to use a second function is a real pain. One wheel good, two wheels better.

Overall, after four months of owning my G3, I have concluded that it is the most over-automated and unnecessarily over-sophisticated image capturing device that I have ever used. An image is about lighting, viewpoint, composition, focal length (or angle of view), lens aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Anything else just gets in the way.

So I mostly use my G3 in the most minimally automated ways that I can.
  18. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    I wish there's focus peaking too. Panasonic manual focus sucks even though it's magnified. Even my Nikon dslr shows a green light when it is in focus.
  19. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    On the PENs you can select/deslect auto-ISO in manual mode. I think it's great--it's my favorite way to shoot indoors, locking both the aperture and shutter speed--but if you don't like it you don't have to enable it. If Panasonic could implement it like this everyone would be happy.

(And your comment about 'inadvertently activating it' . . . you don't mean that, right? Stripping away all automatic features that could be 'inadvertently activated' would eliminate staples like AF, auto-ISO, A-mode, S-mode, etc., that most of us find indispensable. I like manual mode as much as the next person, but certainly there are times (many times!) when I do like those modern innovations!)
  20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you're going to rely on the green light focus confirm, you may as well use AF. You're getting the exact same result.