1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What filter to put on my oly 45. What is your recommendation?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Iconindustries, May 23, 2012.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm looking to get a filter for my oly 45 for protection. I don't want to get into the filter/no filter debate but I would like advice on what type of filter you would recommend.

I shoot portraits with my oly so that is the only consideration to take into account. Most of you would have seen the sorta pictures I've taken.

Looking forward to you guys to help me figure it out.

-
    icon

2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
  3. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hi, I agree... B&W haze or UV serves as good protection. I have used fairly pricey B&W filters on all my Leica gear since the '70s and use it now on my m4/3 treasures. Saves you from accidental dings and greasy/acidic fingerprints that, if not removed, will actually badly affect a lens surface forever. And the next filter to look at is a good circular polarizer.... Enjoy.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    B&W is good. But the best protection unless you're at the beach or in the desert or something is simply a hood.

(yes, I'm one of those 'protection filters are pointless' people)

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Listening to what you've stated here, that 45 is a fast lens so if you plan on taking outdoor portraits, a Neutral Density filter is a must have :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

You need a UV filter because it doesn't mess up the colour balance. Avoid Haze filters because they do.

Unless funds are very restricted you should buy a top quality multi-coated filter to keep image degradation to the absolute minimum. B+W's F-Pro is about the best available. Hoya has the Pro-1D range that is almost as good but can be difficult to clean.

I use a mixture of B+W, Hoya and Nikon filters and I particularly like Nikon's NC protection filters which offer the highest optical quality at very reasonable prices. Alas, they are not made in 37mm diameter, but I use them on my lenses that have filter size 52mm and above.

As RT_Panther suggested, it would also be worth thinking about a 3-stop ND (neutral density) filter for shooting with the lens wide open in bright light, and a polariser to cut reflections from glass and water and deepen the colour of the sky. You can use a linear or circular polariser (only AF SLRs need the circular type) but the linear polarisers are now quite rare and, while cheaper to make, they tend to cost more because so few are now made and sold.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I use B+W MRC UV Haze filters or Hoya Pro1 Clear on all my lenses. Very happy with both.

8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I double recommend the Hoya Pro1 filters. They're the only ones I've used that it give me barely any trouble. Cheaper ones will usually flare or reflect back a bit- the Pro1's are one of the ones that minimizes it to none to very little. Only when I have direct sharp light hit the front of the lens do I get a little reflection back- but it's pretty minimized.

EXCEPT: hoya doesn't make a Pro1 filter for the thread size of the 45mm :frown: Step up ring + larger one will do.

My usual advice for filters is: buy the good stuff. Spend a little more and it really does go quite a long way.

I used to put protection filters on everything back in film days- but with the new fangled lenses, they're more pain than they're worth. I have for my 45mm a ND filter- sure I live in the pacific northwest, but there are occasional sunny days.

9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks guys for helping me out.

If I bought the ND, haze, UV and Polariser filters I'll be right. One for each occasion.

I might go for the ND and Polariser first and see how they go.