1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What film are you watching?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by robbie36, Jul 8, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    No I am not talking about that thing that came before digital.

I am talking 'film' like as in movies.

I am a huge film buff with a collection of over 50 TB (yes 50 terabyte) of high definition movies.

I love the style of movies and often think during a movie that 'a moment' would make a fantastic photograph. I love the naturalness almost 'street' of a movie.

I watch a lot of movies and have a pretty eclectic taste. My best movies of the past year range from the very popular - life of PI 3D - to the more obscure - Holy Motors, God Bless America. Still what prompted this post was a new film that I really like - Despicable Me 2.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNie6hVM8ZI]Despicable Me 2 Trailer - Banana and Potato Song (with lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I haven't yet seen DM2, but I wouldn't be surprised if I get "dragged" there by the kids sometime soon. I did see the first one and I found it enjoyable, but not particularly memorable. What was it about the sequel that prompted you to start this thread?

As far as what I'm watching, the most recent movies I've seen are:
    • Frances Ha - this movie was so full of hipster pretension that the story kind of got a bit lost (sample slightly paraphrased dialog: "I internet acquired 3 pairs of vintage Ray Bans, so it was a good day.") The cinematography (shot in B&W with a 5D, I believe) was very good, however.
    • This is the End - this was a nice romp with a number of very hilarious scenes, although ultimately the whole wasn't quite the sum of the parts.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Saw WWZ yesterday ... it was okay ... much more poetic license than I normally care to see. But all-in-all I'm glad I saw it.

4. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Despicable Me 2 in 3D, which gave me a royal pain in the head. Not the movie (it was nice enough) but the 3D tech. My analogue brain is not made for stuff like that.

At the movies by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Lovely shot, Marlof! :thumbup: At first (and even second) glance I thought it was an illustration.

6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I saw Warm bodies yesterday. Cool movie. Last thing is the wall that breaks, makes you wonder if the whole movie is an analogie.
    I give it 8/10 zombies in review.

Skickat från min LT26i via Tapatalk 2

7. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    it's an actual Despicable Me 2 movie theatre shot. In one of my favorite movie theatres, where you can press a button to get a refreshment during the movie. No need for breaks. Except during kid hours like this one: they are well aware of the needs of the smaller bladders. Shot with a RX100, but you'll have to forgive me for that.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm normally a big fan of interesting, little indie films. But the last two movies I saw in a theater were the latest Star Trek and Iron Man 3.

9. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I rewatched District 9 last night -- it's easily one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time. Can't wait for Elysium, although I'm sure it'll be quite different...

10. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    Recently rewatched "The Lives of Others", which won best Foreign picture at the Oscars a few years back. It is a relatively simple story about an East German Stasi agent in the late 70's who becomes strangely involved in the life of the person he has been sent to spy on. It is a very calm and yet powerful comment on what life in a surveillance state is like, and what motivates that behavior. I found a lot of new meaning now with all the revelations about the NSA and domestic spying.

Not to mention the cinematography is excellent, the use of light and color to convey moods is sublime, and the bleakness of people's lives is well communicated through flatness of light and the new popularity of cheap fluorescent lights.

11. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I recently watched The Internship, and Man of Steel. I've also seen the latest Stark Trek. I loved Man of Steel. Generally, I am very enamored with Zack Snyder's cinematography and the highly stylized look of his movies. I love it. I wonder if he partners with the same cinematographer every time.

12. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Is that some sort of Star Trek/ Iron Man mashup? Sounds interesting. :wink:

13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Featuring Captain Tony Kirk.

14. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Going way back for me and watched Viva Las Vegas with Elvis and Ann Margaret. Probably one of the better 60's Elvis films and who doesn't mind seeing a young Ann Margaret.

Ya these 60's Elvis films weren't exactly Academy Award material but still fun to watch and had some very good songs.

15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yeah I like Warm Bodies. I am a bit of a fan of 'Zom-coms' - Zombieland and my favorite - Shaun of the Dead - come to mind. The people behind Shaun of the Dead - Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have a new movie out at the end of this month called 'The World's End' about a group of guys attempting to do a 'pub crawl' during an alien invasion.

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Elysium is on my watch list too. I doubt it can match District 9 but we shall see. Jody Foster, who is pretty much always good, is one of the stars.

17. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Haha Indeed. The much anticipated Stark Trek into Cheesiness. I saw Iron Man 3 as well in early May and found it to be very regrettable.

18. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Watched 'Before Midnight' on the weekend. Really enjoyed seeing things wrap up after starting with Celine & Jesse in '95.

19. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Really enjoyed Star Trek into Darkness. Don't know if "Sherlock" (the recent BBC series) qualifies as "movie" because it is a series, but one episode is around 90min and they only make 3 of them per season. And it is quite brilliant...

20. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I just saw "This Is The End" this past Sunday. Funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Not going to win any awards but hilarious from beginning to end.