What Features Does The Higher End OMD Need?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by humzai, May 20, 2012.

1. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I got my E-M5 in a few days ago and it is pretty much my dream M4/3 camera I hope it pushes the system to new heights and that Olympus leverages this to expand the system as rapidly as possible to make sure no other system can overtake Micro 4/3rds!!

The tantalizing bit of info about a possible higher end pro OM-D is wonderful news for M4/3. Despite the E-M5 having very few faults their is always room for improvement.

What features should either the next em-5 or the pro body have. I think that perhaps we can all come up with some suggestions and hopefully have Olympus listen and improve.

I also think there are a few features that the E-M5 should receive in a future firmware update. I hope they are added soon and I will start with them.

1. I think it needs focus peeking.
    2. Sweep Panaroma and sweep 3d
    3. and something similar to the sony nex7 nightime multi exposure noise reduction mode.
    4. Tethering mode

I would like the higher end body to include:

1. Multi Aspect Sensor, I love this feature of the GH series
    2. GPS
    3. More function buttons and mysets on the mode dial
    4. switches around the mode dial for drive mode and bracketing like the GH1
    5. a switch for focus mode
    6. Compatible with HDL-6 Grip
    7. built In Intervalometer
    8. more Flexible flip out lcd if it doesn't increase the size much.
    9. 4 way button replaced by 4 way dial.

I hope this allows for a good discussion and helps improve M4/3 products.

• Like Like x 1
  2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The most needed feature that Olympus can provide to improve the OM-D EM-5 right now by firmware upgrade is :

Let the user fully customize the button function,
    Let all button have toggle on-off function,
    Let user choose one of button for AEL or AFL only not forced AEL/AFL,
    Let user change the AF grid pattern, not just single, group, and all but also cross type.
    Let user use touch to change settings in SCP not touch and dial
    Let the override MF assist mode keep active till user push the shutter or assign button

for next iteration
    refine the CAF and tracking,
    keep using the same battery format even if Olympus decide to use higher capacity make it backward compatible please

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  4. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    In my opinion, what the OM-D line and Panasonic's line need is a sensor that is capable of delivering several more stops of dynamic range, because restricted dynamic range is by far the greatest weakness of m4/3. That weakness is the 'elephant in the m4/3 room' and is rarely discussed.

Personally, I don't want to see any more complex features in cameras that I feel are already overloaded with them. I much prefer a simpler interface that allowed the user to choose ISO, aperture and shutter speed with options for aperture priority, shutter priority and program AE.

Unfortunately, m4/3 user interfaces seem to bury these simple choices deep in multiple impenetrable menus which only serve to get in the way of serious, simple photography. My G3 bewildered me until I learned to ignore all except the basics, but its complexity still gets in the way. So forgive me if I don't support the addition of further features to what I feel is gross over-provision.

I respect others' different points of view but too much complexity turns me off.

• Like Like x 1
  5. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    The menu system on the Olympus cameras is a bit odd but I really love the combustibility of it. Once you figure out what settings work for you there really should be no problem with feature overload.

Another thing the E-M5 needs is the ability to change what functions are in the multi function fn-2. What I mean is you do not have the option to change what are the options when the button is used in the multi option mode.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Just one thing, me. I've been looking to purchase but everybody is "Out of Stock".

7. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Availability would be the main thing

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Absolutely! (I'm getting ants in my pants.)

G

9. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Are you waiting for a silver one?
    I believe 12-50 kits were first to arrive. I wanted a black body only, but then ordered black + 14-42 + 40-150. Of course, as soon as I did it B&H shipped both and I had to return the body, but my point is, they seem to have all black configurations...

10. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd like cameras to stop living in a vacuum. Getting photos from any camera to the web is a ridiculous multistep process - why? Smartphone makers have taken advantage of the fact that people want to connect their cameras to other services and fast, and they'll probably eat up most of the compact camera market in a few years.

11. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I want a second black body one with the 12-50, it has been back ordered for over a month and half at both Amazon and B&H, anybody know where there is one?

12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Olympus cameras are on fire :biggrin:.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Locally, I'm on the list at Samy's, Pauls and OC Canera.

G

14. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Haha I wasn't paying attention when I used spell check.

15. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Build in ND filter!! I think that could be a huge benefit it me and other m43 users

16. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Let's be honest... The mu43 still has a way to go. Many pros will choose a dslr over it. Once there is a flood of pros converting to mu43... Then it's a no brainier. Im thinking, when the technology is at let's say equal to a Nikon d3... Then it will be a good day for us.

17. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Something Kodak were attempting with EasyShare. Apparently, it wasn't enough.

I'd like GPS, picture-in-picture focus assist, and at least four or five function buttons, not just two. I don't care how they cram them on; they can even be left-handed buttons.

Hey, if a left handed function button could be given the shutter release function, fewer lefties would hate cameras.

Most of all, though, a Micro Four Thirds camera should keep the physical size down. I don't care how many features it might have. I want a small camera attached to my small lens mount.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't believe in an either/or situation. For some applications, full frame DSLRs are and will remain better tools than a micro43's system. Part of the D3 (or Canon 1Dx's) strength lies in it's ergonomics, which are good because the body is large, controls easily accessible, etc. And until EVFs evolve a good bit further than they are now, optical viewfinders are not going anywhere.

Most of the niggles I have with the E-M5 relate to customization options - I'd like a couple of custom modes on the dial and to get rid of the 'use while holding down fn button' thing. The play and fn1 buttons are also poorly placed, and I would prefer a wheel with set button to the 4-way controller on the back (Canon-style), and a (Canon-style) 4-way joystick for AF point selection would be a godsend - AF selection is one of the only things I simply cannot do as fast as I can with my 5D.

19. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    IMVHO the single biggest feature missing from current m43 cameras that a new high-end model could include is motion tracking/predictive autofocus. This is not likely to be an incremental improvement on the current CDAF technology as CDAF depends on the lens's AF motor speed just to detect whether or not it's in focus yet, in an iterative process. So they're either going to have to do some kind of PDAF, either by licensing it from Nikon (yeah right!) or developing it themselves, or by innovating wildly to get something new that approaches the speed and accuracy of PDAF.

20. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    A built in wireless shutter release. I mean a proper high spec one. One you can trigger from up to 30 mts.
    Not the little self portrait type thing that won't work if it's sunny.