What features do you expect/want in the GM5's successor

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D@ne, Jun 10, 2015.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    GM5

I personally don't care about 4k...but I do hope they improve the EVF. It's okay, but a bit small.

Thoughts? Do we expect this in September with the GX8?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Are you asking about a successor to the GM5? Because the GF6 and GF7 have both been available for some time and I would see these as successors to the GF5.

I haven't heard any rumors about another body in the GM line for this year. Given that the GM5 was only introduced last fall, I wouldn't expect a successor to be announced until Spring of 2016 at the earliest, but that's just a pure guess (based on Panasonic's past timelines).

Frankly, I'd be a bit surprised if Panasonic comes out with another :mu43: camera beyond the rumored GX8 this year.

3. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Possibilities:
    -IBIS
    -Pop-up EVF (a-la RX100m3) and 4:3 back screen
    -Bigger, better EVF
    -Tilty back screen (and/or EVF)

Those are likely mostly limited by size, so it would come down to how much they can further miniaturize.

And of course, like most second gen cameras, I think we could expect slightly better sensor, AF, IQ, video, etc.

And probably not until late 2016.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    with most (if not all) manufacturers going by the trend of releasing new body models, one at a time and with months in between.. we won't probably see a gm5 successor yet.

of course, unless they'll make the rumored gx8 as compact as it can be but with significantly better specs and features than the gm5, and the design is more like the gm5 and/or lx100.. :)

5. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I bought e GM1 last month and what I'd like to have:
    - IBIS (wishful thinking)
    - EVF would be nice
    - tilt screen (not gonna happen)

All those above would mean bigger body. But IMO the body is almost too small already so it wouldn't necessary be a bad thing if it gained a bit size...

And these would be nice too:
    - 4k video
    - bigger buffer
    - no screen lag when taking multiple shots
    - ability to set file names (I don't like the P000000xx.jpg-thing)
    - add one or two customizable buttons (compared to GM1)
    - add a thumb rest (at least GM1 has none)
    - adjustable max shutter speed when using auto-ISO
    - usable flash (exposure times are awful on GM1)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Better placement of one of the function buttons making it easier to engage with when in use, eg for back button focus, a la GX7.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    - Better EVF
    - Dual dials (customizable)
    - 4:3 display

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Two major things for me
    -better evf
    -higher flash sync speed

Extra dials and buttons are a bonus. Ibis would be great, but likely size increase not in the ethos of this camera

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Better EVF - the current one is almost uselessly small by modern standards.
    Use of mechanical shutter with manual lenses, or full DR with electronic shutter. It's annoying not being able to get the most out of my 7.5 FE on this body...
    Better flash bundle option - something like the FL-LM3.
    Higher flash sync speed.
    Tilt screen, hey the GF7 can manage it and it's practically the same size.
    Separate face detect from AF area mode like Olympus - I want face detect falling back to whatever AF mode I have selected rather than multi-zone by default.

10. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    What about a firmware update to the existing GM5 to enable back button focus, and a whilst they're at it make the video button another customisable function option (I don't use video, and have no intention of doing so). I can think of much better uses for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Firmware upgrade sounds great to me! :thiagree:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    More buttons, dials, IBIS, tilt screen, etc would all be nice. But there is really only one physical thing I would change. The AF mode selector should be a standard control dial and put the function button from the GM1 back in the middle. That one change would go a long way in usability with minimal physical changes required.

The rest of my list could all be done in firmware to the current model.
    • Let me disable some of the display screen options. Sure I can just use the info screen and turn the level gauge on and off with a few screen taps. But I could also just have those two screens active as display options and one press to go between them.
    • Let me assign the same functions to the on screen buttons or physical buttons, why are some limited?
    • Let me program the record button when not in movie mode.
    • Let me assign the the monitor information display to the Q-Menu button.
    • Let me use the command dial to scroll through settings on the monitor information display instead of bringing me to another screen to make the changes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Unfortunately, it seems that both Panasonic and Olympus are extremely reluctant to add features via firmware updates. Given their relatively short product cycles, this seems to be an effort to nudge consumers toward purchasing the new camera.

This is one of the things I admire most about Fuji's strategy which seems to be to try to extend their products' life-cycles by introducing major feature and functionality upgrades in firmware. I'd like nothing more than to see the :mu43: companies adopt this strategy, but it doesn't seem likely. All the more reason for me to wonder if the (eventual) replacement for my E-M5 will be an XT-1 (or XT-2).

14. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Sorry, I realized I had the wrong model listed and changed the thread. :)

15. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I don't own the camera, but in testing at the store, the EVF seemed strangely small...not sure if this is something they can improve in the next model without increasing the size of the body considerably. I thought the single, push-in dial was a neat feature to save space, but again, I haven't used it in real life.

Things I want:
    -bigger EVF
    -maybe a front grip
    -IBIS
    -body-only option for those of us who aren't into kit lenses

• Like Like x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The dial works well enough and is an improvement in some respects over the dial around the arrow pad.

I'll add one more to my list of updates.
    • Custom Q-Menu, why can't it be two rows (top and bottom) like the default Q-Menu. 10 custom selected features one button push away. That would be nice.

17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think that used to be something that was part of Fuji's strategy. More recently they've jumped on the body-churn train along with most of the other manufacturers. The X-E models aren't getting much in the way of updates, and most of the X-T1's later updates were bringing it up to feature parity with the bodies that were already on the market prior to its introduction (like the A7, E-M1 and GX7).

18. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    faster flash sync speed 1/50 too slow

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Why? Do you mean minimum?

20. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Yep. I had written "max exposure time" first but changed it shutter speed but forgot to change max to min. :biggrin: