1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What features convinced you to buy an EPL-5 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bobs1444, Mar 9, 2013.

1. bobs1444

bobs1444 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Red Deer Alberta
    I have a good EPL-1 and I have no complaints
    I am looking at an EPL-5 ( reasons and important to me )
    1. Higher ISO with an EPL-5
    2. Quicker AF
    3. Touch screen ( mainly touch screen to focus and shoot )

3 reasons to spend $ 600.00 :confused:

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    - Improved autofocus & sensor
    (I was shooting with the E-PL2 before)

• Like Like x 1
  3. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I can't compare to earlier versions, but:

Touch screen focus and shoot is very, very useful. I was always frustrated with AF cameras often picking random objects to focus on.

IQ is extraordinary, with excellent dyamic range. Functionally it is as good or better than many larger sensor cameras.

The vast majority of the time, AF is almost instantaneous. Exposures are very consistent.

ISOs to 1600 are perfectly fine. Above are usable with caveats, but up to 1600 noise is well-controlled -- I have my noise reduction set to -1 and rarely (if ever) use NR in post.

P.

• Like Like x 1
  4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I had both an E-PL1 and have and E-PL5 and E-M5.

I think the E-PL1 has a better grip -- the E-PL5 isn't as nice to hold but you can get the bigger screw on grip and that helps.

The tilting screen that can fold all the way up to the top facing forward is nice for certain things as well. I love shooting at waist level with the touch screen because it is more stealthy (though I don't do a lot of street stuff).

I think the higher resolution which allows more leeway for some after the fact composition adjustment through cropping -- that's also an advantage.

If you do HDR or need bracketing, the bracketing options on the E-PL5 are better even than the E-M5!

The E-PL5 has the ability to use mode dial positions you don't need as setup memories. For instance, I never use "Scene" mode and have it set up to be a memorized camera setup for my HDR work.

Besides the image quality improvements -- there are just so many changes that add up to a much better and more flexible camera, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. vcs700s

vcs700s Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Ditto!

Love mine!!:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. RogerAdams

RogerAdams Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2012
    For me the biggest improvement was the AF speed. I went from an EPL-1 to the EPL-5 a few months ago. When using my epl1 I was getting more used to using legacy lenses because the autofocus speed to was so slow with my Oly 17mm 2.8. When I got the epl5 I was really amazed at how much of an improvement the AF was. It really made me love my 17mm 2.8 again.

The epl1 was a little larger and felt like it was built like a tank but you will love having a dial to quickly change aperture. The burst mode is like a machine gun.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogfa/8407243270/" title="Kimo_Jump by Roger_Adams, on Flickr"> 8407243270_7abddf009a_c. "800" height="438" alt="Kimo_Jump"></a>

Keep an eye on Olympus' Canadian website. I picked up my epl5 body only for $549 CND a few months ago.

• Like Like x 3
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    What about the E-PM2?

Okay, you lose the tilt screen, but on the plus-side, I think it handles slightly better. You have a bit more real estate to on the back around the thumb.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That tilt screen is a big plus when shooting in expensive pants :biggrin::tongue:

• Like Like x 2
  9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I tried an E-PM1 -- but for some of us lack of a mode dial is a "non-starter" but I can see the attraction of them -- they really are light and handle well.

10. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Can you explain how you set it up for this?

"The E-PL5 has the ability to use mode dial positions you don't need as setup memories. For instance, I never use "Scene" mode and have it set up to be a memorized camera setup for my HDR work."

Isabel

11. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    Tilt screen, 16mp, comparable to my omd and size.

12. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    Valerie
    Oh yeah, the dials help. Have the epm1 with no dials.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I like the tilt screen and the build quality of the e-pl5. First and foremost for me, however, is the IQ. I was deciding between an E-PL5 and the 45 1.8 vs. the E-M5, so my decision was that the e-pL5 was good enough to let em ge the 45 as well. I like that I can use iso 3200 pretty easily with good results. Just to point, out, I probably would also have been happy with the E-PM2, but the $100 price difference wasn't enough to make me switch.

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    • Create a "MySet" of your choice with the settings you want to assign to the mode dial.
    • Bring up the "Custom Menu" (gears). If you don't have it enabled, you can do so from the "Setup Menu" and then you'll have it.
    • Go to item "B" which is "Button/Dial"
    • You will see a listing for four MySet positions and any you have created will be in black and enabled, and any you haven't will be gray and not selectable. At first all of them will say "Off"
    • Place the cursor over the MySet you want to assign to a mode dial position
    • Press the right side cursor arrow and you'll be given a list of mode dial positions.
    • Scroll up or down to the one you want to assign the MySet to (it's a long list but you only see two at first), then press "OK"
    That's it. Repeat for other positions as desired.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The E-PL5 retains the metal build of the previous generation Pen bodies, while the E-PM2 went backwards, whereas the E-PM1 bodies were incredibly solid.

16. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I bought E-PM2 simply for the sensor. Since then, the AF, portability and outstanding metering have won me over. Build quality is acceptable, nothing to write home about but its all about the sensor!

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Fancy pants! :biggrin: Honestly, I would miss the tilt screen if the E-PM2 was my only m4/3 camera.

I can see where the mode dial would be helpful.

True. The E-PL5 looks especially awesome from the front, IMO. But I think the E-PM2 feels fine and the light weight, along with a P14 or P20, makes it a great compact carry option. Maybe a more interesting as a companion to a larger m4/3 camera?

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went with the E-PL5 after having an OMD. I miss having a small'ish camera that was modular. With Newegg selling the E-PM2 for $299, that's a great price and probably would of jumped on that had it been available at the time.

19. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Coming from a EPL-1
    in order of preference
    ISO 3200 is still acceptable
    Shutter 4000 vs 2000
    16 mp sensor
    Dials
    Touch screen