what extension tubes to get

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by travelbug, Feb 26, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i want to try out macro photography with my epm1 and p45-200 tele.
    looked into the neewer metal extension tubes and they do seem like a great deal. however i did read on amazon that they can cause damage to the camera electronic contacts (just one incident reported though) and that their lack of anti glare/matte coating (in the inner surface) makes their use limited.

so am i better off getting something else or are these issues unfounded? any help, is appreciated.
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With a telephoto, extension tubes do not have much effect. I would recommend a high quality achromat closeup adapter, which should get you over 1:1 at 200mm. I'm talking something like a Marumi 330, Sony VCL-3358, Canon 500D, etc. You could also probably get away with using the Olympus MCON-p02 with a 52-46mm step ring.

Do you have any other lenses?

I will say that, for my money, an adapted classic macro prime is the best way to go. I picked up an Olympus 50mm 3.5 Macro for only $55 recently (plus $12 for an adapter). Yes it is manual focus, but to be honest when you get into macro range, it is often easier to just get focusing close and move the whole camera to focus. And you end up doing it with AF lenses more than half the time, it seems.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    this review led me to believe that the 45-200 would be ideal for use with this extension tube:
    Micro 4/3rds Photography: Meike/Neewer macro rings: Highly recommended

i also have the o25/1.8, rok12/2, and kit. manual focus does not bother me but i would rather have an a-f 'macro' setup as iplan to get an em5 mk2 soon and want to try out its focus stacking feature/
  4. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I have the Kenko 26mm (10+16mm) tubes, they work great on Oly 45mm F1.8

• Like Like x 3
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess if you use the wide end of your zoom, the AF macro tubes have more effect. (1:1.5 based on that link). If you use the long end of your zoom, the closeup adapters I mentioned will have greater effect (likely greater than 1:1).

As for your question of damage, I would say that is pretty unlikely. But of course when dealing with cheap imports, it all depends on the Quality control luck of the draw. BHphoto has some made by Kenko for a little over a $100, and that is a higher quality and reputable brand, but I still bet you have no issues with cheapies.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    I have a cheap set of Meike extension tubes. They work well enough (AF still functions, but its usefulness is limited). The only downside is reduction of the amount of light to the sensor, without increasing depth of field; an achromat/close-up adapter shouldn't have the same issue. I find that a sharper lens will work fine (I've tried 17 1.8, 45 1.8, 20 1.7) marginal lenses don't seem to resolve as well as they do without the extension tubes (40-150R) but using flash/lighting may help. I find the Olympus 60mm macro, and even the 12-40 and 12-50 in macro mode, to be better than any lens with the extension tubes. The 12-40 can be heavily cropped to give a similar look to the 60mm macro until you get into high ISO. Since I no longer have the 60mm, they are cheap enough to keep around for the few occasions that I want to do some very-close-up work that I can't do with the 12-40.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    thanks, i think this would indeed be a better option. what about the raynox dcr-250, or would that be too hard to use?
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you've never shot 1:1 before, a +8 dioptre magnifier like the Raynox DCR-250 may be a bit overwhelming because FoV and DoF is so tiny. Can't complain about the quality though, I have a Raynox DCR-250 and the Sony VCL-M3358 (+3.3), the Raynox is noticeably sharper.

I also have extension tubes. Definitely better on a very sharp, shorter lens like the 45mm or your 25mm (though the MFD might be a bit close for comfort with the 25mm). Not very useful on a proper telephoto.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  9. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i ended up getting the extension tubes, mainly to practice and so i can use it handheld. if i find i like macro, ill eventually getthe dcr-250 and a lens even. as for now, im happy with the tubes even if they cannot give me 1:1. thanks for all the help and info.