What ever happened to those "Kodak" branded m43s cameras?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by GBarrington, May 10, 2014.

1. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Does anyone know very much about the company and how likely they are to make it to the shops? I'd love to see one up close and personal!

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hmm ... yeah.
    -strokes beard-
    They went very quiet....

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    It looks like they may never reach North America. Kodak will become a vanity name in asia. Although, now that Kodak has raised their film prices to the point where a roll of Tri-X, undeveloped is now touching $10US, and it won't be long before there isn't much love for Kodak there either.

Incidentally, the camera has one major visible flaw right now: It's hot shoe is completely incompatible with any micro four-thirds TTL flash accessories. They went with their own design and so far only a tiny little flash is available.

I still think it's vapour-ware.

Maybe now that C&A Marketing (aka Crooks and Abomination) have purchased the Calumet brand, that camera will end up in their roster. I still can't believe C&A is still around and passing themselves off as a legitimate business, but I digress...

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Kodak sure went down the toilet. I'd rather invest in Fuji and their products. At least as a brand they are still innovating. And aren't a shell company of their former self.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's a bit of a slap to Fuji.

8. GBarrington

DPR has just posted a "First Impressions" review of the Kodak Pixpro S-1. So it looks like they are actually coming to market! The self appointed Pundits all seem to think it is aimed at the "Asian" market. But the pull of the name "Kodak" in North America can't be discounted among people who aren't pros or even enthusiasts, but still want a "nice camera".

In either case, This can only work to the benefit of of Olympus and Panasonic. They will no longer have to carry the expense of creating and marketing inexpensive introductory cameras difficult for them to make a profit with, They will be free to concentrate on higher end and 'step up' cameras the way an Olympus official recently said.

9. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    They will be a huge hit on QVC, especially if they make a DSLR shaped body. Old folks love the zombie brands.

10. GBarrington

I don't think you've thought this through. This takes the pressure off Olympus and Panasonic to spend money developing and marketing unprofitable, but absolutely essential, introductory level 'beginners cameras'. It becomes hard to discount the logic of stepping up to an even NICER camera when you know the new camera can use your old lenses. I was on the fence between the Fuji XTrans line and the OMD line. The ability to use my 14-54 with the E-M10 tipped the scale towards OMD.

http://glenbarrington.blogspot.com/2014/06/it-looks-like-new-kodak-m43s-cameras.html

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  12. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Well that all depends, if the product is junk, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how they can beat PM2's for $199, the new owners will go back to their cell phones or go to a "real" camera brand like Canikon.

13. GBarrington

But don't you see that that this frees Olympus from even having to offer the PM2? A camera they can't seem to sell at a profit? The reason they are selling at $199, is because they couldn't sell them at $400 and Oly needs to get rid of them. Do you REALLY think Olympus will make MORE? would YOU make more if you had to sell them at below cost? It may even be why there was such a long wait between announcement and product, JK and Olympus wanted to clear the market of the PM2 inventory before they start delivering the new Kodaks.

Up till now, they haven't been able to abandon the cheap step up m43s cameras, because those low end cameras are needed to act as a camera that eventually steers users to high end cameras where the profit is. Those type of camera still need to be in the market but Olympus won't have to build and sell them because JK will do the job. And for the typical person this sort of camera is aimed at, "Kodak" is perfectly real, perfectly valid.

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    ^ That's not a bad interpretation. Both Panasonic and Olympus want/need to reduce the number of camera types in their inventory and this would be a good way to transition, as you suggest.

15. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Being a member of the 43Consortium doesn't mean you don't compete with your cohorts... JK making this camera doesn't automatically mean Olympus will drop their low-end camera. They may focus more on higher end cameras, but I'd be surprised if they completely abandoned the bottom end...

This also isn't the first time the CEO of JK has pushed/pumped a brand. His company is behind the GE brand of digital cameras... Here's some press info from 2007 on that. Note the commanding, if somewhat naive, language of the article.

http://www.latinbusinesschronicle.com/esp/article.aspx?id=1647 - it's a bloody paywall, but the abstract can be viewed at that link.

Here's the free-to-view newswire article that was blasted out regarding the GE partnership.
    http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/496...w-ge-digital-cameras-throughout-latin-america

I still think some of you guys are overestimating the effect this camera will have on the market. Unless Asia Optical gets behind it and flogs the bejesus out of it in domestic and foreign markets, I don't think this camera is going to stick around very long. JK is a pretty focused company.

I thought at one point that AO was an affiliate/manufacturer for Tamron integrated lens sets (for compacts). Is that not the case?

The big tele lens for this reminds me when people made a run on those giant Soligor pre-set aperture tele lenses in the 70s and 80s... They were pretty junky but people had a lot of fun compressing scenes making traffic light poles look like they were growing out of people's heads ;-)

16. GBarrington

Well, considering both Olympus and Panasonic HAVE mentioned they want a slimmer 'fleet' of cameras, and that Olympus officials have stated they intend to concentrate on higher margin cameras. And if the PM2 IS being sold at $200 USD then the profit margin is paper thin or nonexistent, I don't think my scenario lies completely within the realm of science fiction.

I don't have a crystal ball, and I have no special knowledge. But I DO think it would be in Olympus' and Panasonics best interest to drop the less profitable cameras. It makes sense to stop trying to serve a market they have had some difficulty serving at a profit, and get out of the way of JK imaging which seems to have had some success in serving that market. I think it is also in their best interest, long term, to have a healthy line of Kodak m43s cameras, if for no other reason than having them fail might reflect badly on m43s overall.

RE: that long lens offering, I have written about it on my personal non commercial blog HERE. It's at the bottom of the article.

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I believe the more m4/3 cameras there are about (by brand), the greater will be the recognition and potential acceptance in more places around the world. Perhaps m4/3 needs to become the 'Android' of the world, with cameras built and designed by many and at different levels of sophistication.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Interesting comment you made there about the 400mm lens. I see a problem though. It's 400mm... at a 2x crop it's essentially an 800mm lens. It's really hard to operate a lens like that on anything but a very cold day. Even if that lens was optically very good, the amount of heat-streaking you would get off a lens that long in focal length will make for some pretty psychedelic photos. That was kind-of what I was getting at when I was referring to the "fun" behind those old Soligors...

I don't disagree with you though. O&P have said more than a few times that they'd like to focus on the high end. But I wonder how much it actually costs to make the Oly E-PM2. If it's being sold at $200, how much could that camera possibly cost to produce for them if they're committing to a certain (unknown) quantity?

19. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Sure, I'll go with that... but JK did do GE Imaging. They really played the bottom of the barrel with General Imaging.
    I can't imagine this is going to be all that different.

On the other hand, would it really be any different if Sinar suddenly joined (and committed to producing for) the m43 consortium? Or Alpa? Or Rollei?

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You have to start somewhere and if JK Imaging is prepared to give it a go, I'm all for it. It's not as if they are starting from scratch either, there's a strong knowledge base available to support their endeavours.

Well, Leica has been into m4/3s on and off, and look what Hasselblad (Lunar) has done with the Sony Nex (not that I'd wish that on any m4/3 camera).:biggrin: