1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What ever happened to the Olympus 60mm macro?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TheBiles, Aug 30, 2012.

1. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    The 75 1.8 is now shipping regularly, so when are we supposed to expect anything about the 60 2.8? This is the one MFT lens that I'm drooling over, and they won't say a thing about it.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

• Like Like x 1
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I have the exact same sentiments. :confused: That's one lens I will preorder once it goes up on Amazon.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Photokina! :biggrin:

Mind you, if it's anything like the Four Thirds 100mm macro you have more chance of seeing a herd of flying pink unicorns! :rofl:

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The original announcement stated by the end of 2012... Also stated the 75 would be first release. Patience is a virtue, and a virtue is one thing worth attaining! They still have 4 months to keep their word, and I'm sure it will be announced at photokina.

5. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    I'm hoping that Photokina brings good news. I just hate being kept in the dark.

Sent from my Nexus 7

6. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    It is not any different from the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8. Olympus and Panasonic announced the development of these lenses early this year. As a couple people have already said, I would expect the release of the Olympus 60mm macro at some point this fall along with the Panasonic 35-100.

7. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    I thought Photokina was for new announcements... 60mm macro is not a new announcement. I just need Olympus to release it already!

8. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    As much as I like the awesome photographs being made with the 75mm, I am with you on this one. Can't wait to see what Oly does with the 60mm macro. I'd probably get this over the 75mm because I like to do close-up/macro photography.

9. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Any idea if this Oly 60mm will be better or comparable to the Nikon/Sigma/Tamron/Tokina macros from 90-105mm?

Needing a macro lens urgently, not sure if I should wait for Olympus or plunge for a DSLR lens.

10. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    If you can't wait, get an SLR lens. I think someone's selling a Nikon 105mm f2.8D in the classifieds section and IMO, it's a pretty good deal. The Oly 60mm will take a while to be shipped after being announced. You can always sell the adapted glass for almost the same price and then buy the Oly 60mm when it becomes available.

11. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I'm hoping for an announcement soon too. I've got the excellent Pana 45mm macro but really want longer reach. Might have to get an OLy body to use in on though.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'm not as interested in this as I am the 75. I use adapted lenses for macro because I would focus manually anyway to insure maximum sharpness. The focal length is odd (to me, at least) and the 75 is faster. I had a 70-300 macro with my 40D and never used AF for macro shots.

13. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    120mm is great for macro work. I use the 100L macro with my DSLR, and it's about the perfect lens. I just want a little pocket-sized version of that lens that has the same weather sealing and great quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7

• Like Like x 1
  14. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    +1 this.

In fact, depending on the deal you get and the market between when you buy and sell, you may actually make money on it. I had bought most of my slr lenses used, and rarely lost anything.

15. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    I'm really looking forward to the Oly 60 macro. It will give a great working distance for everything but skittish insects. The reproduction scale goes to 1:1. It will be particularly exciting if that's 1:1 on the 4/3 sensor.

—Andreas

16. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
  17. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    I want to see some clarification on the 1:1 switch. Rotating it every single time you want to focus seems absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

18. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I agree, I would like more information on that switch. It would make it frustrating to use to have to rotate it every time one goes out of 1:1. I would stay with my Canon FD 200mm Macro over having to do that. The statements of the author of the link imply that is has to be rotated every time one goes out of the 1:1 range.

19. AndyT

AndyT Mu-43 Regular

I agree. I have been looking forward to this lens as an awesome underwater piece of glass.
    However as others have said if it means holding in a button it may just be a non starter ....
    Perhaps Nauticam have a workable solution?