What dont you like about Panasonic bodies

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
No exposure compensation in manual and auto iso
As with the earlier reply, why is exposure compensation something that even makes sence in manual? It's a tool to correct for the possibility of "subject failure" in metering when the camera is making the calls for exposure and the photographer is providing only part of the exposure equation (say the desired aperture) or none (P mode)

As with the earlier reply, why is exposure compensation something that even makes sence in manual? It's a tool to correct for the possibility of "subject failure" in metering when the camera is making the calls for exposure and the photographer is providing only part of the exposure equation (say the desired aperture) or none (P mode)
It gives quick access to changes you may need to make if a bird flys past bushes and then open sky ,i would not want to change the shutter speed and the lens may be wide open.

dirtdevil

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I own the G85, there are the main things that bother me :

The 4 buttons around the "menu set" are too flat.
Bulb mode doesn't go above 2 minutes.
I would have liked having the live composite view like Olympus has.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Of course not. You often times need both a specific shutter speed and aperture in video. So autoISO is the only thing left if you want auto exposure.
I guess I just have never wanted auto exposure in video that isn't handled by shutter... Normally I shun that so I don't get say background lightning changes changing the overall feel of the exposure. Looks handicam amateur to me...

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It gives quick access to changes you may need to make if a bird flys past bushes and then open sky ,i would not want to change the shutter speed and the lens may be wide open.
Makes sense, your BIF shots are great your camera must be almost be part of your body to even be able to think of something like that when a bird is flying past, hats off to you ! I guess just like the guitar solo in stairway to heaven I will never master the fast bit.

Makes sense, your BIF shots are great your camera must be almost be part of your body to even be able to think of something like that when a bird is flying past, hats off to you ! I guess just like the guitar solo in stairway to heaven I will never master the fast bit.
Thanks but so long as the exposure control is on the front dial its not too bad, i walk around with it on zero and as i see a bird i start making the adjustment as i bring it up to my eye, counting the clicks for under or over,
then when they are flying i still use the count method, it would be nice to say i use the EVF image all the time but sometimes it all happens too fast:biggrin:

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Interesting so I guess you have custom setting to put the exposure control on the front dial. I have watched quite a few vids on custom settings for BIF that’s a new one thanks!

Interesting so I guess you have custom setting to put the exposure control on the front dial. I have watched quite a few vids on custom settings for BIF that’s a new one thanks!
I use it in all circumstances, if a bird is stationary against the light i would use it,i can just wind the front dial until ime happy with what i see in the EVF,of cause you cant worry about a bit of noise to use this system.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Not sure dual is of any benifit in many cases and i am not sure it doesnt cause delays sometimes, i get on great with just the lens is when i mount the 100-400 on the EM10, i guess i feel it would be nice to be given the chance to choose.
Set the lens to on and set the camera to off.

Bill Burkholder

New to Mu-43
When would you want to not use dual IS?
You don't want to use Dual IS/Dual IS II when recording video from a vehicle moving over rugged terrain. The result is actually LESS stable than it would be with IBIS OFF. That is one key reason Panasonic took IBIS OUT of the GH5s. The other main reason was so they could fit a slightly larger sensor in there.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
The most important would be shutter speed so i now use shutter priority,with auto iso and exposure compensation,its a decent alternative but it means my lens is wide open all the time.
How do you get around the fact that in bright sun, unless you wind the shutter speed right up, the lens stops down to like f/13 or something silly? That's my main problem with shutter priority when quickly switching between different types of bird and shade/sun.

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
So here's mine for the G9. Pretty minor in general, as most of these things have a work around or only affect me very rarely
  1. Auto WB (although this can be altered)
  2. Really low FR on the EVF in low light (worse than E-M1 mark 1)
  3. Image zoom in playback takes a few seconds
  4. Raw images not very sharp in playback unless you shoot Raw+jpg
  5. The light on the top LCD goes off even if you're actively changing settings
That's pretty much it.

WT21

Super Moderator
I'm thinking out loud a bit here, but when shooting an event, I take a reading on the lighting, and then I set my ap and shutter speed to meet the event needs. I like to let the ISO float with a max. But depending on where the subject is relative to the lighting, I need to adjust EV up and down, while not changing SS and Ap.

Does that make sense? I'm watching a movie while typing, so concentrating on neither, lol

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
This was my biggest gripe about all M4/3 bodies up until now.

Finally, however, both Panasonic and Olympus are getting it. This feature is now available on the PEN-F, the E-M1 II, the GH5, G9, and GX9. So it's coming soon to an affordable body near you.
It's actually one of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade from the GX85 to GX9.

There are three things Olympus has that would be really nice and one from Fuji.
  1. RAW + JPeg, there are a few places you can have RAW + on Olympus that you can't on Panasonic. The digital TC is one, but there are others if I recall correctly. I wouldn't expect the modes that Panasonic used 4K photo for but otherwise it would be nice.
  2. Allow me to disable display screens. I can set a screen fn button to turn on and off the level. Why are they options you have to cycle through with the display button?
  3. The recording information screen, let me touch an item and turn a dial to change. Don't bring me to another screen to adjust the values. If I have more than one thing to change I have to go back to the recording information again. Have they not seen the Olympus SCP?
  4. And finally from Fuji. The Fuji X70 has a touch screen and a little corner of the screen has an always active button to cycle through screen off, touch AF, touch AF and shoot. It's the best implementation of a screen on/off I've used. Panasonic (and the last Olympus body I used) required you to use up one of the dedicated function buttons or menu dive.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Panasonic (and the last Olympus body I used) required you to use up one of the dedicated function buttons or menu dive.
On the right side of the touchscreen on Panasonic, there is a little pop out that you can assign 4-5 virtual Fn Buttons. it's really easy to make on of them do whatever you'd like, including touch shutter.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom