1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What does the EM-1 still offer over the EM5-2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ThomD, Feb 6, 2015.

1. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Since I don't own the EM-1, I'm not familiar with all of its features. All of the spec comparisons between the two suggest that the EM5-2 matches the EM-1 in the "headline" specs.

I know that EM-1 has PDAF, 9 fps (with the new firmware) vs 5 fps [I think I have the right], and maybe a better battery life. What am I missing?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    For some people it's about ergonomics as well and the EM1, for me at least, feels better, balances better with longer lenses than the EM5(without the extra grip).

I like the EM5 form factor for having a coat pocketable rig with a small prime.

Also, depending on how well the new firmware upgrade on the EM1 enhances the C-AF - having the PDAF and a relatively good tracking hit rate at 9fps gets this guy one step closer to being an all m43 shooter and not needing to rely on the Nikon kit i have.

With all that being said, a very similar argument was made for the EM5 to EM1 upgrade path. Also, if the EM5 Mark II has this spec set, I can only imagine what Olympus is going to give us with the EM1 Mark II.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Ergonomics are a good point. That's something that tends to get lost in the focus on spec comparisons.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    If you are using lenses like the O 40 - 150 f2.8 I would think that the E-M1 would be a must. And, obviously, if you are using 4/3 glass.

5. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    4/3s glass I understand. What's special about the 40-150 that favors the EM1?

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Size and weight.

7. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, ergonomics is probably the biggest difference at this point. I own the EM1 and the EM5, and while the EM5 is lighter, with any sort of substantial lens the EM1 is much more comfortable and natural to hold due to the much better grip. With something like the 12-40 or 42.5/1.2, the EM1 actually feels lighter in the hand because the weight distribution and balance are so much better.

You can put the attachment grip on the EM5, but then it's even bigger and heavier than the EM1, and in the case of the EM5II, would cost as much/more. The stock grip on the EM5II looks pretty awful for anything other than the small primes and kit zooms.

I was pretty interested in the MII, seeing as my original EM5 is on it's last legs, but I might just pick up a used EM1 instead. Some interesting features on the II for sure but I almost never use my EM5, its not really any smaller in use (when a lens is attached) and again the ergonomics are worse so its just not as fun of a camera to use for an extended period of time. When I want a pocketable camera I use the RX100 III.

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Practically speaking - not much. That's why the releases have been spread out so much over time. Most people that wanted EM1 already bought one.
    EM5 is the cool looking one. EM1 is the more practical-tool one. A lot of people did complain about EM1 looks when it came out. It was definitely not as cool looking as EM5.

9. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    Austin, Texas USA
    Jim Phipps
    Mine does a great job especially for the size if I do my part.

10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Keep in mind that at Photokina Olympus will likely introduce E-M1 Mark II. So comparing E-M5 II to E-M1 might be meaningful for a few months, things will again change in September. As a happy E-M1 owner, I will wait to hear about E-M1 II before purchasing a E-M5II as my second M43 body.

11. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    When it comes to what's more pocketable with a small lens...

http://j.mp/1LVkJwS

When you put the 14mm on, which is about the smallest lens you'd bother with, the front of the lens is level with the front of the E-M1 grip. There's probably a millimetre or two in it, and most of that is the eyecup.

The E-M1 has a lovely grip, and the PDAF works on native Micro Four Thirds lens in C-AF mode. So while it is the camera for E-System users to migrate to, it's not just for Four Thirds lens owners.

The much better video mode in the E-M5II is its big selling point to me. The 40mpx high res thingy has very limited uses. I don't get that people are saying it's for landscapes - you just need something blowing in the wind, clouds going by, or running water and you'll get a load of weird artefacts that look a bit like a long exposure but not.

12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My suspicion is that once we have the RAW plug in, there might be some advanced things we can do with the stacks, possibly make decisions on what/where to mask. Probably won't be bullet proof, but might give a better overall working of the final product.