What Does IS Get You?

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I understand what IS does, but what does it exactly buy you in terms of shutter speed?

Do I get the same effect as a non-IS lens at 1/50 sec if I use an IS lens of the same focal length at 1/25? Is there a rule of thumb?

Brianetta

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Ronald
Depends on the IS. The IBS of the E-P1 sometimes gets me an extra stop or two, by whichever way you want to get it, but sometimes I'm calm enough to get better pictures without it.

I had a play with the OIS in the 45-200mm Panasonic zoom lens, and it easily got me an extra two stops, meaning I could use a lower ISO, a faster shutter or a smaller aperture. It's better for me than the Olympus IBS, but it's not available to all lenses.

Your best bet is to play. It's amazing how patient the guys in camera shops when you're testing lenses out; they love to see them too!

Brianetta

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Ronald
Just a quick example of the in-body stabilisation of the Olympus E-P1. The lens was 50mm, at f/1.7. The ISO was set to 800, and the only light source from this side was the bathroom door on the other side of the house, which you can see reflected in the cat's eyes. The street outside is lit by street lamps and a pub.

I held the camera still for half a second whilst lying on my back, with my elbows on the mattress of our bed (I needed extra distance, and the bed was behind me, so back I went...) This would not have been possible without the IS being on. I also used 1/8" ant-shock, which is a big help.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Thanks - I will look there. As much as I like my GF1 if I can get shutter speed improvements like that it could be beneficial for for my tele and macro shooting (since they are adapted lenses) to replace my GF1 with an Oly (or add an Oly).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom