What does Flickr do with my photos ... ??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Wolf, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Alright, I was just trying out Flickr (I have smugmug now, which is great, but flickr is intresting for the groups).

But the photos look awful on flickr compared too smugmug (pixelated sometimes, even when uploaded at the same file size).
    Apparantly the colours suffer a lot too.

This is the best example
    A shot of my dog
    the flickr colours are just horrible !!!
    remember, this is twice the same photo I uploaded (my photoshop image = smugmug photo/colours)

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    They both look the same on my screen, using Firefox. Perhaps your browser is incapable of rendering the embedded color profile, and one of those sites is preserving the profile while the other is converting to sRGB.

What RGB profile do you have set up on Photoshop?

*EDIT: The Smugmug image shows an sRGB profile, while the Flickr image shows no profile at all. So this is probably your problem... You need to turn on Color Management in Photoshop, and assign the sRGB profile (best gamut for web display, though more limited for print) to all your images before saving them.

I'll be back with instructions, but my dog is being persistent about something*.

*EDIT *EDIT: In Photoshop go to Edit => Color Settings. Change RGB to sRGB ICE61966-2.1, and CMYK to SWOP (Coated). I don't know your region so I won't go into further details on the best CMYK or Greyscale settings. Then for Color Management Policies change RGB to Convert to Working RGB and change CMYK and Greyscale to Preserve Embedded Profiles (this may become important later for print materials but is irrelevant for the problem at hand).

You can then uncheck the "Ask When Opening" checkboxes for Profile Mismatches and Missing Profiles since you now know your color profile preferences.

Another thing you can also do is use the Save for Web function. This will optimize your image, and also assign the sRGB profile. It will also strip all EXIF data though, which you may not want.

* He had to take a poo, but you probably don't care to know about that. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  4. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Many thanks Ned !!

Saving for web did the trick :smile:
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend