What does an m43 user do when the point and shoot dies?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Richard W, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Richard W

Richard W Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    I have a Nikon D200 and accessories which I am using less but I see no need to sell it or trade it in. It still serves a purpose.

I have an Olympus EP2 which I am using as my main camera/system. This was not a replacement for any camera.

I still use my point and shoot, an older Samsung. This is still a very convenient and useful camera.

As someone already into m43, there will come a time (perhaps this year even) when my point and shoot will meet a natural or digital death. I believe I will still need something equivalent. So, what are the choices?

1. Just use a camera phone? My experience with my old Nokia phone is that this is not a good option, but I think I will check out the iphone.

2. Get a new point and shoot?

3. Sell the EP2 and get an EPL1? I have not seen an EPL1 except in pictures on this forum.

4. Keep the EP2 and get an EPL1? Is this over the top?

Just thinking out loud, but I would be interested if you have had any thoughts about this or if you have been through this process. Maybe you have a point and shoot and have recently chosen an EPL1 or larger m43 camera as a replacement?

Please post a link if this has been covered elsewhere.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Get an EP-1 while you still can..... soon it will be a collectable...

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

The Canon S90 seems like a great little point and shoot with controls to me. I almost went that route instead of this one. If my current Canon SD870 IS dies an untimely death, I'll be very likely to go for the S90. If I could, I'd buy one now.

4. lori B

lori B Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    san francisco, ca
    i am EXTREMELY happy with my canon s90. between it and my G1, i am a very very happy and well-covered shooter.
    as soon as my life calms down a little (i am not holding my breath), i will post some s90 shots. very very workable and with a f2.0, the thing shoots in virtual darkness (plus RAW files, manual everything if desired, etc).
    do i sound enthusiastic?
    i am.

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    one word ricoh, either the gx200 or the cx 1 cx 2 or cx 3

the gx 200 is a pros point and shoot metal body\ chassis, its small sweet 24-72 2.5-4.4 does 1 cm macro.. kit available evf [but 200.000k , image stab, does everything ,most intuitive camera made ,imho , fully manual or program and a priority, raw, full filters for b&w, iso 64 awesome iq
    achilles heel ?..... noisy above iso200 , but still a great point and shoot imho

cx1, 28-200 metal body no raw but much goodness inside 1 cm macro loovely machine

but wait and see what samsung is doing .. sl 500?? available soon ?
    24 -72 F1.8!!! to f4? raw full... manual... tilt swing out evf ,amoled,,, old school grip and styling ,solid looking build.... black body ,
    but but but image quality is unknown yet .... wait for reviews

6. spark

spark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Toronto
    Get an iPhone if you want one but DEFINITELY don't get it for the camera. There are very few camera phones that are able to capture clear images. The only phone I ever had with a decent camera was the Sony Ericson phone with the Cybershot camera built in (I had the k790a).

I gave away my beaten up point-and-shoot camera when I got my GF1 and am currently looking for something to replace it. There are still occasions when I don't want to use my GF1 despite it being fairly small.

7. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    If you mainly shoot wide, you might want to consider an LX3.

R

8. Richard W

Richard W Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess a quality compact point and shoot will always remain useful to have, regardless of what other camera you use.

9. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I go out and buy a :43: ... no joke.

I had a fuji F30 and an Olympus E-410. The 410 got run over by a few cars on the highway, the F30 got crushed in a halfpipe. So I bought an e-p1... poor thing doesn't know what it's in for. :rolleyes:

10. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Indeed. I took two of my favourite images of my kids on my old Sony Ericcson phone.

Attached Files:

11. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Oh, and when my P&S dies (a Lumix LX35 that Im very fond of) I'll be getting an S90. Yes, the GF1 can go almost everywhere but there are times where I just want to have something in my shirt pocket. My iPhone doesn't do the job here at all. Wonderful as it is in many ways the camera is s**t.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I second the LX3, if you can find one. I have an LX2, which gets a fair bit of use and is, quite frankly, a great little camera.

Cheers

Ray

13. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I still use a Canon S70 of 2004 vintage a bit slow but it has a fast 2.8 lens and great as long as nothing more than ISO 400 is required. Built like a tank! The iPhone is quite capable of delivering good images not high quality photography but workable images and snapshots nontheless. I use it a lot for documenting my photo work when words are needed. See perceptivelight.com for samples of them all... I have used an S90 and it has to be the best shirt pocket camera on the market.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    After you dusted it off didn't it still work?
    Do you have any old photos of the wreckage? :sad010:

15. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    The Canon S90 is a nice P&S I often keep one in my jacket pocket. But if you are waiting for it to die you have to wait to see what is available at the time you need to replace it as cameras get updated about every 6 to 9 months in most cases. If you hang on to such camera for a long time you want to get the best you can for the money.

16. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    All I found was scraps of plastic bits and bits of the circuit board, there was absolutely nothing salvage able, not even a memory card, not even just an LED or anything.

I wasn't that impressed with the 410 anyways, I was about to sell it in "preparation" of buying a :43: so no heart ache for me, just lost the resale value of it. At least it was a (relatively) cheap lesson learned - better than losing a e-p1 right now.

17. Vic B

Vic B Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I'd get a Panasonic ZS3 (or its current incarnation). Fantastic zoom range (25-300mm), excellent image quality in decent light, and effective IS for low light situations. It's been my only camera on several big trips (Baltics, SE Asia, Cuba) and I've never been disappointed. I'm expecting the GF1 to be even better, but the ZS3 is terrific.

Vic B
    Photo blog: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/victor/hereandthere
    Blurb books: http://www.blurb.com/search/site_search?search=victorb&filter=bookstore&commit=Search
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/84029090@N00/

18. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

I second the Ricoh CX1 recommendation. I got mine last summer and have been perfectly happy with it. It's reasonably quick, packed with features, and small enough to go anywhere with me in a avocado-size belt pouch. Really unobtrusive.

Unfortunately Ricoh has already progressed to the CX3, over the last few months. That means, though, that the CX2, another great choice, is available new in the States for about $250. That sounds like a good deal that may not last long.

Somebody mentioned the not-yet-released Samsung, with it's tilt-a-whirl viewing screen, full complement of shooting controls, hot shoe, and RAW. That number may well be the coming thing. I'm certainly looking forward to hearing more about it.

Good luck.

19. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the cx3 has an improved sensor over the cx2 its said , ive got the cx200 my all time favorite point and shoot and the cx-1 too [ in second place]

the samsung specs are amazing but iq is unknown

20. dcbeattie

dcbeattie Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 18, 2010
    Pullman, WA
    I must be looking at this wrong.. My EP2 is my point and shoot... It replaced a LX1 that died...