1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What does a 'real' photographer look like?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Mar 3, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Manufacturers of camera gear and accessories naturally want to embellish their products with 'real' looking people, but when I see photographers depicted in these ads I just want to burst out laughing. Never in my life have I ever seen any photographer look like what's depicted in those ads.

The latest, which prompted me to raise this post, is Lowepro with their new camera cases:

Echelon_slider3.

Olympus is not immune:

OMD_Banner960x505.

In my news and sports days, I think I was the most well dressed photographer about, as I always wore trousers, a shirt with collar and clean shoes or boots. The regular photographer's attire would be faded jeans, T-shirt and runners. For formal assignments I'd even put on a suit and tie.

Mind you, I never looked as cool as the dudes in these and other ads. :)

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Browsing through the Selfportraits thread, the above images are just like I see there. :rofl:

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Here's a celebrity using m4/3 gear (not really sure whether he owns it or was given to him for a publicity shot by Olympus Finland) and he certainly doesn't look like the 'cool' guy in the ads (he just lacks that intense look - snow glare doesn't count):

11041656_387725174738759_5604231512570272343_n.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, well your average lingerie wearer doesn't look like Heidi Klum or Gisele Bundchen, either!!! :laugh1:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Now we are just waiting for James Hetfield to introduce him self on the introductions thread.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

In my mind, a "real" photographer looks something like Joe McNally. A little rumpled, a bit rough around the edges, humping his own gear up stairs and onto flights. Those fashion model types are on the other side of the lens.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Or Moose Peterson:

DSC_0366.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Most photographers I've seen have built-in "gut" support for their cameras! Haha

9. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Agreed, although that is a really old picture of Moose. He has trimmed down a bit, his hair is now all grey and white (as is mine) and, most of all, he hasn't shot Canon in decades. I run into him pretty often as we both live and shoot in the Yosemite area. I'll have to twit him a bit about this pic. :)

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Cool. I noticed that in this shot he's using a Canon, but he's apparently a Nikon ambassador. I used that photo as it was what I always remember of him from reading his posts on his web site. I guess it's still a fair representation, as it is what he looked like in his early years, certainly not a runway model. ;)

11. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    I like to start with the backpacker's chic nylon convertible pants. Add a blaze orange T shirt and fleece. Then finish it off with a shoulder clip for the camera. It's a subtle look, but very refined :)

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It doesn't exist if there are no photos. :)

13. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Huh? Don't know what you mean???
    Here's a real photographer

DB Hasselblad.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    He's really cool. I wonder what he's drinking? And that tripod!

15. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    I wish I had a good one that really showed off the majesty of the wardrobe. Selfies just don't cut it. Best I can do is swipe one from my brother's facebook.
    10920249_889982431552_8979113730969214271_o.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's what Olympus, Lowepro and every other camera manufacturer/accessory maker should be depicting. Not metrosexuals or hipsters that wouldn't actually know which end of the camera to look through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    What . . . you guys don't really look like that?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I know I do ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

That guy IS me! That is exactly how I look in my head. It's me right down to the "I don't give a rip" sneer. And I am also "the most interesting man in the world". I've got a better six pack though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. travlpix

travlpix New to Mu-43

Jul 19, 2010
    Eddie Adams in Vietnam..... 1397581715089.

• Like Like x 1