What does $200 more get me? Epl3 vs epm1!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by steelerdan69, Sep 12, 2011.

1. steelerdan69

steelerdan69 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    What does $200 more get me? Epl3 vs epm1! So the mini is $500 and pl3 $699. I was looking at the specs and it seem they have the same things. I'm I missing something besides the tilt screen? Will it be a bother with the mini with less buttons?I'm just a beginner and mostly want a camera cuz of the lenses. Really digging that oly 45 mm f1.8 and I'm getting married in two weeks and want something better. I had a nex3 a few weeks ago sold that to get something smaller and also cuz of the oly 45 mm coming up. I was set on the red epl3 but saw this mini epm1 and at $500 and can squeezed in the 45 mm cuz on a budget. So any advice is welcome! thanks

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    E-PL2 is the best bang for the buck if you're contemplating E-PL3 and E-PM1...:smile:

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    On the E-PL3, you get a tilt screen (which adds slightly to bulk, but comes in handy) and more manual controls. Check out some of the threads here on the E-PM1... I think it would be a great, small camera, if you are okay with the small and limited manual controls. I would lean towards picking up the E-PM1 as my first m4/3 camera if you were really concerned with size and want the fastest focus speed. Otherwise, as Panther suggested, there is some great pricing on the E-PL2 currently.

4. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    I do want "the new kid town" camera
    for sure! I was set on the pl3 but if the only thing besides the tilt screen and extra buttons for $200 I could get an extra lens. This camera will be used for a wedding and then for Just casual shooting, bdays, vacation and concerts.

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'd recommend going with e-pl2 as well, it's a good camera and you should be able to pick up the double lense kit(14-42 & 40-150) plus the new 45 and stay under a grand. Which is what you'd spend for e-pl3 and the 45.

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    You don't want to pay retail for the EPL3. If you can't wait for hte price to drop, get a G3. I doubt too many people will argue that the EPL3 is superior for the exact same price. Other than IBIS and size, the G3 is superior in almost every way. Better screen, EVF, better sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks guys for all your inputs! But it's between the new cameras I looking into. Even the nex5n is looking good. Might go with the epm1 and save $200. Just a casual shooter b

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Sounds like you understand it pretty well..if you're not lusting after the tilt screen, save the money!

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Get the E-PM1 and m.Zuiko 45mm. You NEED a good, high-quality fast lens, or paying more for the body will get you nowhere. The E-PM1 will take advantage of the fastest AF system in the world, especially with a new MSC series lens like the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. Like many I also enjoy the E-PL2, but I don't see the point in downgrading to an older model if the new one is in your budget already along with a good lens. Go for the E-PM1 and 45mm.

10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just for the record, the 45 isn't an R lens, only R lens are the 14-42 and 40-150 according to Olympus lens listings on Olympus site.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah, thanks for clarifying that. It is still one of the new, fast MSC lenses anyways... I don't think R lenses have anything but special focus ring textures and special decorative rings on the front anyways, lol. :D

12. steelerdan69

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for the support but I don't want older models and really want the AF assist light also. What do you think about the starter kit zoom lens?is the 45 mm out already?what about plastic body? Is there a big difference from the epl3 like in weight and build?

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 45mm is still a pre-order item at any of the retailers I know of, but it's supposed to be here by mid-September so maybe this week?

Can't tell you the difference between the E-PL3 and E-PM1 in terms of metal body and build, as I don't have those cameras yet. But I will say that the "plastic" bodies made now are extremely tough and robust. My E-PL2 actually feels more solid in many ways than my metal-built E-P1. I'm sure the same will go with the E-PM1.

As for the kit zoom, I've had the original 14-42mm as well as the newer MSC version, but not the latest R version (which is only cosmetically different than the MSC version). The MSC version is actually quite a nice lens. Speed is good, and operation is very smooth and quiet. It feels a lot more solid than the original, which had a very loose front barrel. The retractable design of the m.Zuiko 14-42mm is very ingenious, and the glass is actually impressive looking. Optical quality is perfectly sound... but the f/3.5-5.6 lens speed is just too slow for me. I'm not one to keep kit lenses from non-pro kits, so I can't tell you much more than that. :redface:

14. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The G3 is very much still considered a new camera, if that is what you're worried about. It is of the same generation as the EPL-3 and other recent Olympus cameras, and it is the latest and greatest offering from Panasonic.

And honestly, I would be very tempted by the NEX5N if I was looking at paying retail for an Olympus camera. I would advise you to wait a bit or go with another manufacturer because TBH, Olympus retail prices for their cameras are kind of ridiculous, and they always come down.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Huh? Have you actually looked at what PENs are selling for in retail stores next to Sony NEX cameras, and how much more is offered for at least $100 cheaper on the Olympus side? The only ridiculously overpriced cameras which WON'T come down (because the manufacturer refuses to reduce MSRP) are the Sony products. Especially if you look at the prices of their lenses. You could pay $800 for a cheap f/3.5-6.3 Sony E-Mount lens which wouldn't sell for more than $150 to an Olympus user! For $800 we could get an f/1.4 Leica Summilux for Micro Four-Thirds, lol. Or two nice Olympus and Panasonic primes like the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.7 and Lumix 20mm f/1.7 - TOGETHER for the same price as one super-slow Sony super-zoom.

The E-PL1, E-PL2, and E-PM1 have all been very well-priced for an affordable budget - straight from original-release at full retail. And Olympus DOES mark down their products, unlike the four-letter S-word, lol. :D (Yes, I know that's what you said... but I don't see how that's a bad thing?)

16. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I'm not talking about lenses, the lenses are fine, it is the cameras that are overpriced.

And I'm not saying that the price we pay for them is too much, just that the MSRP that Olympus gives is too much. They always get marked down very quickly, I think Olympus just prices them high to make it seem like they are of equivalent quality to competing cameras (for example the EP-3 costs the same as the T3i), although in 6 months I guarantee you that the EP3 will be several hundred dollars cheaper.

And Sony does mark their cameras down a lot, if you know where to look. You can pretty regularly find alpha SLR kits for under $300. Costco had the NEX-3 with 16mm and 18-55mm lenses for $400, but I missed the sale. Otherwise I probably would have bought it instead of my EPL1.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When I shop at the electronics stores, I see for instance the Olympus E-PL1 selling for $300-$400 (depending on the specials) and the Olympus E-PL2 selling for $550-$600 (depending on the specials), with the Sony NEX3 selling for $650 and the Sony NEX5 selling for $800 (same price all year round). That's retail price across the city, and those Sony models have been around a lot longer than the E-PL2 or even the E-PL1 (which was MADE to compete with the NEX).

So... I don't get what you're talking about. :confused:

And the drops in Olympus prices aren't because they depreciate. Olympus themselves marks down the MSRP on products, from $50 to $100 sometimes as a promotion. I know this because I was an Olympus Sales Coach before and there were always price changes that came directly from Olympus - NOT the retail store. The retail stores often had their own $50-$100 markdowns ON TOP of the Olympus markdowns, as temporary specials. Sony however, refused to budge with manufacture promotion prices.

(PS, the E-P3 should only be more expensive than the Rebel T3i/600D, considering quality, functions, and features - in my opinion. You thinking that they are "trying to appear of equivalent quality" is only your opinion. But that's another matter altogether...)

18. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    From memory, I believe the E-PL3 also has a significantly higher continuous shooting speed than the E-PM1 (5fps??).

19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, they both have 5.5 fps (w/IBIS off).

20. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I shop online, and partiualry in the US, we have much better prices than that.

Ebay was selling the NEX-3 with the zoom lens for $400 the other day. Not as good as the Costco deal, but still pretty good.

My point though is that at $650, the NEX5N is a much better camera than the EP3 at $900. I expect the EP-3 to be selling for around $500 or $600 by the end of the year. It's not depreciation, its the price falling in line wit hteh capabilities of the camera relative to the competition, because Olympus has historically refused to price their cameras competitively (which might explain why historically, Olympus hasn't sold very many cameras compared to Canikon).