What do you use for video editing/authoring?

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by bilzmale, Mar 9, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

One of the many things I like about MFT is the chance to take HD video. I cranked up my old version of Ulead Video Studio 9 but it doesn't handle audio (remember the bad old days).

I downloaded a trial of Nero 9 but it is crashing on me and I am in deep discussions with their support team. Windows media Player under Win 7 is fine for playback but what if you want to edit?

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced editor that handles AVCHD files?

Interested in and thanks for your input.

2. mike_hessey

mike_hessey Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Video editing

I find this a HUGE pain! My preference is for Final Cut Express (Mac) for video editting, but it can't handle GH1 video (and presumably GF1 video either, though I've not tried that). In fact most video editors I have object to the format. I asked Pana on the stand at Focus about this yesterday, so annoying do I find it. One modestly priced suggestion they made was Pinnacle Studio (Windows) - I haven't used it for some years, and found it rather too prescriptive then, but generally OK at that time. I've tried various software for converting the video to a format I can edit in FCE or an older version of Premiere Elements (I find PE quite limiting and annoying in that it seems to want to force its view of how to do things on me), with varying success.

I too would welcome advice on this, though I really would prefer to stay with FCE as an editor, as I find the mixture of flexibility, power and price, without constraining wizards suits me (a Windows or Linux equivalent would be acceptable too).

Mike

3. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi Bill and Mike. Take a look at www.movavi.com, not sure it will be the right choice.
    I don't shoot video (G1), but I'm serious looking for a good editor! (in need of new gear that's why)
    Let us know what you think, thanks in advance.

Have a nice day.
    Kind regards, Herman

4. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I've used the motion jpeg video from my GF1 in Final Cut Pro with no problem. I also did a clip with imovie that worked well.

5. curtisls87

curtisls87 Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Los Gatos, CA, USA
    Curt Schimmels
    I use iMovieHD on my Mac for my Oly videos. It works just fine for me.

6. prayformojo

prayformojo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2010
    I use Premiere Elements, pretty pricey and picky about formats, but it works great with the video from the E-PL1 and I can edit clips together, add titles, and add in transition effects between scenes. Very easy to use and outputs to a file format for Youtube.

7. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have been using the Final Cut Express 8 in conjunction with the Neoscene since I started shooting either 1080P or 720P with my GH1 June 2009.

Neoscene has Windows and Mac versions. It can do the pulldown needed for GH1 1080P and the conversion of .MTS files to .MOV files, which can easily handled by FCE. I consider the $90 (?) was well spent to buy the Neoscene. It can do a batch conversion job unattended. You can download a 30 day trail version (fully functional), before deciding to buy it or not. If you shoot video in .MTS, save yourselves some frucstratin by buying the Neoscene. Here is the link:
    http://02b9121.netsolstores.com/products/NeoScene.htm

Here are some of my GH1 video clips posted at Vimeo. Mostly are short version of my video journal.
    http://vimeo.com/user2284074/videos

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks for the feedback - several good prospects but I have gone with Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate. Covers HD and Blu-ray so seems fairly future proof. Was recommended as being more stable than some - it seems the ocassional crash happens.

9. mike_hessey

mike_hessey Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks for suggestions.

I have had Movavi for some while, but really don't get on with it very well. Apart from frequent crashes (in the previous version, not used the latest much), I found it very un-intuititive, and splitting functionality into so many different modules was obstructive.

Final Cut Express is only up to v 4.0 as far as I know (and Apple Store shows), though Final Cut runs to higher numbers, and a MUCH higher price.

I currently use Neoscene (Mac version) to convert the format - expensive just for conversion, and VERY obstructive protection against copying (I had various problems when Snow Leopard was first launched and then soon updated, and this resulted in Neoscene deciding that I was not authorised to use the software I'd purchased). Happily it is working well at present ...

I have the previous version of Premiere Elements, not tried the latest (which was launched a couple of weeks after I'd done an upgrade), but it doesn't really suit me anyway.

Mike

10. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

On the Mac, you can use the current version of iMovie to transcode the AVCHD video to the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC), which can then be digested by either iMovie or Final Cut Express. Final Cut Pro will also transcode, and gives you the option of AIC (smaller files, but everything has to be rendered in the editor for playback) or the ProRes codec (larger files, but don't require rendering for playback in the editor).

None of the Apple apps handle AVCHD natively, so you have to transcode in every case. This is a pain, as the transcoded files take up a LOT of space. The Apple apps also require that you either transcode straight from the SD card or that you've copied the PRIVATE folder (and *all* of its contents, not just the .MTS files) to your hard disk and not have modified any of the file names. Makes archiving the video in any sort of hierarchy based on your own personal criteria (e.g. subject matter, date range, etc.) very difficult.

I really hope Apple improves their handling of AVCHD in the near future. Dealing with AVCHD video is the biggest negative for me so far with regards to owning a GH1.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use Movavi and it works well, but I'm only using the Movavi video converter.

Cheers

Ray

12. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    For Linux users, don't miss kdenlive. Powerful while remaining easy enough for a non-professional with mild help (my wife studied video editing and gave me a couple of basic tips, but not much).

If you're new to linux (or in a hurry), favour the Mandriva distribution to avoid dependency hell, kdenlive can be tricky to install if no package for your current distribution has been made by some 3rd party.

13. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    Just upgraded to the latest iLife and iMovie is now working great for me for importing gf1 video.

Here's my first little effort - not bad for handheld (used the iMovie stabilisation feature). Think it was filmed with a Pentacon 50mm 1.8.

http://vimeo.com/10890048

14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

I like using iMovie because I like the way it operates and I can get a nice looking clip movie in no time at all. It takes awhile for it to optimize the clips but they come out surprisingly good. It works fine with avchd from my GF1. saying that though , I have to make sure that I open up iMovie and import while my camera is connected. If I move the movie files onto my hdd first it is nearly impossible for iMovie to reckognize them.

15. ww927bin

ww927bin New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2010
    MTS files are encoded with AVC codec, which is the most effective compressing method, good for streaming, but difficult to edit. Video editing tools to edit and convert this format are only just starting to add support for this file type.So i suggest you conversion.

Maybe this guide will help you.
    How to author MTS files to Standard DVD with Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6?

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    heh, if you think premiere elements is pricey, get the pro version =)

Any other input from windows users? I know video has a heavy preference to final cut/express, but I'm not buying a mac just to use it, heh.

I've only used premiere in the past messing around at school, but now, I'm not buying that. Not to mention I'm not looking for advanced things. I've used the new iMovie and windows live movie maker, both pretty nice for simple things, but neither handle multiple audio tracks.

We'll assume an AVCHD source. Noted Neo Scene to convert... any other options?

17. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    I use Sony Vegas Pro 8, which has handled most files I throw at it.

18. Leesound

Leesound Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    London
    Aunsoft

This works quite painlessly or Avid MC5 directly imports and edits AVCHD if you don't want to go down the FC(P) route.

19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    On the Mac I use Voltaic to transcode the AVCHD to .MOVs that FCE can use.

20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    VLC (Mac, free) is awesome at transcoding... on the Mac anyway, no idea about Windows.

ClipWrap (Mac) can just wrap the AVCHD files in a form that the Mac OS can show with a simple press of the space bar on the finder! In this case, it doesn't recode the files, it just re-wraps in a container which can be easily read and does so very quickly. Very cool.

iMovie '11 can deal with AVCHD movies from the GH2/GF1, just make sure to keep the movie files in their proper folder so it can find and read them properly.