What do you think of the G3's looks?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, May 12, 2011.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Amin. I reckon it looks pretty nice aye. I'm not sure whether it will have the same feel as the GF1 with the metal body in regards to how something 'feels' when it's made out of metal. If you can understand that.:smile:

In a day and age where everything is practically made out of plastic, I think that's what makes something made out of metal that little bit special.

If my GF1 were to die. I'd buy one of these.

I hope they don't leave it sitting there too long without a cap. That sensor already looks like it has dust on it.:smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    It looks competent and ready for business.

I bet it's cool with the 14 or 20.
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Very business like.
  4. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I like that it does not have the dorky ' HD AVCHD Lite' guff on the front, which bugs me so much on my GF1.
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I don't mind the protruding EVF, but I don't like the hump.
  6. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    This about sums up how I feel about it too.

I'm not a huge fan of the viewfinder hump (an offset, X100-style 'finder would have been great), but I like the overall dimensions and the curves. It's taken some good cues from the GF2, which I actually like the shape of.
  7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Too smooth. Looks cheap. Probably be better in hand.
  8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I really like it.

Looks a bit less 'plain jane' than the G2/GH2.

More businesslike than the NX10/1.

Continues a definite Lumix 'aesthetic' - LX/G series.

I think Panasonic have got the price/features/desirability balance perfect on this, in a way they completely missed with the G2. My guess is this will be as successful as the GH2 :)

Now I just hope their next body is an 'enthusiast-compact' successor to the GF1! I think then they'd have a perfect m43 line-up:
    - 'entry-compact' - GF2
    - 'entry-EVF' - G3
    - 'enthusiast-compact' - GFx?
    - 'enthusiast-EVF' - GH2
  9. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I like it. As someone else said, very business like.

I'm not a fan of over branding. The nicest high end components are usually very understated, where branding is concerned, this fits along those lines quite nicely.

I already have a G1 and a GF1... been waiting for the next µ43 breakthrough. I'd have to handle it to see if this might be it...

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Simple and refined. I wonder how it feels in the hand?
  11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I don't mind the G3's looks but I'm not in love with it, either. I also think I might miss some of the external manual controls of other G/GH cameras. But I am very impressed with the reported image quality for stills - possibly even better than the GH2. My dilemma: $350-$399 for a leftover GH1 body now or $599 for a G3 body in a couple of months.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fr me, it's a complete and utter failure design-wise. It's like an E-pl1 (which was a ruination of the classic E-P1) met a G1 in a dark alley and had a homely love-child. I voted the middle ranking out of kindness, but I wouldn't buy it at half-off (if I wasn't allowed to re-sell it). Still waiting for a follow up to the gf1 without touch screen. It can look the same or better yet, it could look even more old school. And leave the hump at home. I'm sure no one cares what I think, but I'll repeat it anyway in case some designers are listening. If I wanted a camera that looked like a shrunk-down DSLR, I'd buy a DSLR.
  13. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm sure functionality and feature wise its a corker.

Looks-wise it leaves me a bit cold - the GF1 looked great the Gx series just looked like 1990's SLR's on a diet (as do most of the big-brother SLR's).

Personally, if Olympus ditched the 'Pen' look on their rumored upcoming Pro model and went with a Pro OM look I'd be hooked. The OM1/2/3/4 were real design classics and not that much bigger than the EP series. IMHO they were the best looking and most compact 80's SLR's from any manufacturer.

Maybe its a preference for angles over curves (Ferrari over Porsche?) . . .
  14. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Well, I'm hooked on the retro look of the Oly EPs. Having said that, the specs of this camera look good. I just wish we had a true picture of what the future EP-3 will be like.

BTW. Anyone seen an in image of the G3 photographed alongside a Pen yet?
  15. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Ultimate post-modern design, just like Polaroid's Image: they finally came up with a metal body which looks like real plastic. Gave it an SLR silhouette but managed to suppress most of the classic controls, so P&S users won't be lost. And added 30% more pixels in the family pack so you can make 15% bigger prints--WOW!
    Pity they kept that very passé round button for shutter release: you don't stitch buttons on Lycra overalls. A sneeze release would me more modern. However, they did label ithe button with a big "G", in case you miss that spot...

I liked the original 4/3 PanaLeica SLR design, and keep dreaming Oly will truly revive the original Pen F: it dispensed with the standard SLR prism hump, yet it was a true SLR. Gimme an E-Px with a built-in EVF. For cost cuts, you may suppress the rear screen. The features of a classic SLR without its look.

It seems Panasonic decided to do it vice-versa...
  16. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Meh. It's just another black camera.

If it were blue, I'd have pre-ordered one already.

Update after finally seeing some color choices: Nevermind. Red will do.
  17. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    the design is very clean, but from a design standpoint i like the pens more. (i do own a G1 and love it as well for its features tho)
  18. mav

mav Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    I like it, only things I don't like are the giant G without a 3 next to it, but this is probably a bold marketing ploy. Also lack of the singleshot/motor drive/ev+- switch... thats just lame.

That said, I might get one of these if they offer the 14-42 + 45-200 packed in. Been thinking of getting a G2 kit to get the lenses and have another body to compliment my GF1.
  19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Looks very nice, except for that big G.