1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What do you tell a friend

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by uscrx, Mar 4, 2014.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Friend asks for an advice what camera to buy...of course I recommend mirrorless. She researches and decides paying full price for Canon t5i with 18-135stm from Best Buys is the way to go. She believes she will now create those beautiful timelapse yosemite videos and pictures of milkyway...and award winning videos...based on some youtube video reviews. I just said...have fun..let me know if you have questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Just support your friend and assist her learning. Go with her and show her what to look for and how to achieve pleasing photographs. Forget the gear.

• Like Like x 12
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    No doubt.

I wouldn't go for that Canon set, but it's not like it's some steaming pile of rubbish by a long shot. Given how much market share Canon enjoys it might be easier to learn on that system anyway, as opposed to mirrorless which is still like some secret club.

4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Nothing wrong with a T5i. If I wanted just one body with just one all-purpose lens, I would not find it too big or bulky either -- and the price to performance ratio is unbeatable. She chose well. My issues arise when I add a full system together, then I want ยต4/3.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I almost got an EOS 700D (same as T5i but for international folk) and the 18-135mm STM, before I discovered m4/3 and got an E-M5 12-50mm kit instead. I knew what I was looking for though - I generally shoot events, travel, candid portraits, and could see myself getting more lenses (which I most definitely have), at which point the Canon system started to look too heavy and bulky. The kit she chose is great to start out with, and should be absolutely fine if she wants to do video. If she wants to do night time landscapes though, she'll probably need another lens.

6. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Knowing what I know, if I was going to go the rebel route I would buy a used t4i or t3i and get a better lens.. but I would go mirrorless.

7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Well on the flipside if she really gets into photography she will blame me in the future for not forcing her to go the mirrorless... u43, fuji, or Sony.

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haha yeah, Canon churn out those Rebels like crazy, barely any difference between the models...

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If you don't mind the weight, a DSLR rig is often the more cost-effective choice (far greater choice of good OEM and third-party lenses in all sorts of flavours and price ranges). It's not like most mirrorless cameras are much better than most DSLRs. The size vs. quality argument is most important to me personally. Otherwise I'd still own my 5DII. Still miss the 35L and 135L sometimes. But not the weight.

Help her understand the nuts and bolts of photography, and if she enjoys it enough and finds she leaves the camera home too often because it's 'too big', lend her a nice mirrorless camera for an afternoon.

10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    It's generally hard to give advice when they don't exactly know what they want to take pictures of.

I got caught in this for advice for a friend's daughter who wanted a "better camera" than the P&S she was using - fortunately when I put my EM-5 in her hands she went "Wow that's heavy!!" so it was easy to point her at PEN's/GF/NEX so when a new twin kit EPL-3 came up at the right price we had another convert to m4/3!!

It may not be the latest sensor - it may not be 16MP - it may not have the best low light performance but to her it's "amazing" and she loves it, she has also discovered macro so I bought her a set of extension tubes and away she went with those. At some point, if I can find one at the right price, I may buy her a nice fast(er) prime.

It makes you consider why there are so many camera options out there - to some the EM-5 is "too small" and for others "way to heavy"!!!

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had a similar experience. I suggested u43, but friend bought a Nikon D3200. His decision came down to two things:

- Price. Nikon was almost half the price of a competing Oly setup
    - Preconceptions about what a "serious camera" looks like and has on its name plate

Maybe if he gets seriously into it, he might see the light, but for the moment he's got a very competent camera that's capable of delivering great results - and there's nothing wrong with that!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jan68

Jan68 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    Ontario
    My sister in law wanted a new camera a few years ago to finally get some good photos of her little kids. She said the camera needs yo be faster, better pictures, more zoom ( compared with her old point&shoot). She found that Nikon 2- lens set at Future Shop, all in a pack within her budget. Although I would never touch a Nikon and like smaller higher end cameras for personal use, I told her to buy the set which was a very good deal. She was and still is happy with the camera and the lenses, uses it quite a bit and her photos have really improved. Not my first choice, but for most people out there a great camera. T5i sounds awesome, nothing wrong with it. Especially not for people who ask me why I like my 4/3 with the 30 mm on because it " doesn't even have a 10-times zoom"......

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    She has made a good choice, the Canon plastic 50mm is cheap and she needs to buy it ASAP.
    I mean tell her to buy one NOW.
    Seriously!

14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I had a friend ask me a similar question.

For someone who wants to get in to photography, I think suggesting an ILC is a pretty terrible move (especially if they are coming from only having used a cell phone). I suggested they look at the Sony RX10. You get a weather-proof body, a very good sensor, 24mm-200mm f/2.8 Zeiss lens (can reach even further using Sony's very good clearview zoom), digital display, with control dial for aperture/shutter speed, and a separate dial for exposure compensation. It also takes fantastic video as well.

It really is a great, "starter" camera for someone looking to get in to photography that they won't out-grow too easily. The problem is the price, as it is quite steep. Again though, for what you get, it is quite a good deal.

The other think to consider is size. A lot of people think "Oh, I'll take the camera with me everywhere to get all of these fantastic photos". They go, buy a Canon/Nikon (because that's all that's at Walmart/Target/Best Buy/Costco), then realize they need a better lens then that POS kit lens that came with it. They go to buy a better lens, realize how much money it costs and either a., don't buy the lens and eventually quit using the camera because they're unhappy with the images, or b., buy the lens, use it, but realize how big a pain in the a** it is to haul a DSLR with a fast zoom lens (because lets be honest, they're not going to buy a prime lens if they're starting out in photography), and end up not bringing the camera with them anymore.

As far as people who want a quality, do-it-all camera I think the RX10 is a great recommendation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta

Be glad for her she is not purchasing a 1DX or D4s and a pile of big glass with the same expectation.

16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    The only thing I'd do differently is tell her to not buy through Best Buy...but that's because I despise them. Adorama and BH are much better to deal with, and likely cheaper.
    My friend shoots with a 5dMKii and she's blown away with what I get from my "little camera" (what she calls it). I'm shooting a wedding with her this october (as the backup photographer), so she'll have the pleasure of editing the EM1 files.

17. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Why?
    If someone really gets into photography, he can't be happy with a dslr?

18. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Not when you have to lug that heavy body and glass around all day!

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Actually, not all DSLRs are, or were, always big. My E-410 that I sold to a friend (who is very happy with it) is, apart from the depth (more to do with the grip), about the same size and weight as the E-M5. The E-M1 is larger and heavier than the E-410. So Olympus was ahead of the game quite some years ago when it came to small and lightweight DSLRs.

20. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    It's a matter of taste...
    A few years ago, i would never have changed my dslr with a mirrorless. I found that small bodies didn't fit correctly in my hands, EVF were a no go, my gear was heavy but it never was a constraint to carry it. In fact it was even part of the pleasure.

Now, after 10 years of using dslr, I've got another point of view... My passion for dslr has faded, and I find mirrorless much more appealing, even if I still don't like EVF.

What i mean is... You've got to go for the system that you like the most at the moment.
    Not the system that your friends like, and not the system that you might find better later.

There's so much good photography to make with either of the systems on the market.
    If you want to change after a few years... The bodies will have lost much of their values, but not the lenses... the choice you make is not a choice for life...