1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What do you recommend for Camera kit for $250??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Adobres, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Hey guys, Just wondering what you would all recommend for a camera body with one lens for a friend of mine who wants to spend $250 at the most. Olympus or panasonic? and what lens? maybe the olympus 14-42 II? any ideas?
    like older mondel pens?
    She loves my camera (epm1)

thank!

2. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    A used G1 with Lumix 14-42mm = about $250. Or a GF1 with the same lens if she likes the rangefinder style. E-PL1 with oly 14-42 is about the same.

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    There's been E-Pl1's with kit lens for 199$ recently. Don't think there's much else to choose from at that budget.

4. bee

bee Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2012
    I would check out cameta.com refurbished section

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    In that price range I would think a used G1 with 14-42 will give you the best bang for the buck. It has an EVF, very good IQ, great handling and an articulating LCD. The downside is that it has no video (if that is an issue). An E-P1 would also be a good choice but it has much slower AF, no possibility of an EVF and a much lower resolution LCD. If it were me, I'd go for the G1 over the the E-P1. You might also be able to find an E-PL1 + lens for that but I would still choose the G1 over the E-PL1.

6. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    i think she wants video cause of her 2 year old son :)

7. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    If she saves up another hundred she can grab a GF2 with 14-42. There are quite a few on ebay (brand new).

8. Zanr Zij

Zanr Zij Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2012
    If she love your camera, your friend should buy white GF3 + 14-42 kit lens!

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    If she wants video and $250 is the top golf her budget I think I'd probably steer her toward an a nice used (or refurb) travel zoom like a Panasonic ZS3 or ZS7 (well under $200). That would get her very nice video, a huge zoom and a very small pocketable camera. If she wanted to step up in capabilities and IQ then I'd say a used Panasonic LX (also under $250). I say this because in m43 about the best she could find would likely be an E-PL1 with a kit lens and while it's a terrific camera the lens is slow and I'm not sure what it wouldn't give her functionally other than the ability to change lenses. It has better IQ but the ZS3 and LX3 are also very good and they each have some advantages. The LX3 has a terrific fast lens, 24mm WA, great macro, small size, is reasonably fast and I would argue has a better more useable set of controls and UI than the E-PL1. The ZS3 (or later) has the bg zoom, 25mm WA, great macro and HD video. Also these two cameras are much closer in size to your E-PM1 than an E-PL1 would be.

If she really wants an m43 camera then you're probably looking at an E-PL1 or E-P1 (used). Between those two I'd recommend going with an E-P1. It's better built, handles better, and unless she really wants a VF2 in the future is a terrific bargain these days.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If she likes the Pen design and can afford a tad more, there are refurbished E-PL2/14-42II kits going for $280.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    This makes total sense. No logic in buying a :43: kit and sticking with 14-42. She will definitely get better results with a used LX3 for example.

12. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Denmark
    +1

Canon s95 could also be considered - fits in a pocket.

Sf

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's a terrific deal. Amazing what you can get for under $300 these days.

14. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I was thinking that same thing...the E-PM1 is very point and shoot like (in a good way) and very different from the older PENS. The assumption that an older PEN might fit the bill might not be accurate. Heck, Compared to the E-PM1 the E-PL1 looks antiquated.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, if she can get an E-PL2 for that price range (like the refurbs that DH was talking about, though I don't know where that would be from) then that is not such an antiquated camera and its performance is not that far off from the 3rd Generation PENs. The thing that I miss most out of my E-PL2 between that and an E-PM1, is the AWB.

The E-PL1 I thought looked antiquated when it came out, personally. ;)

17. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Disagree - shooting kids with compacts is an exercise in frustration due to the focus speeds.

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sure is! You can't even get second-hand DSLRs of similar vintage for anything like that price, and these are still warrantied and all.

FWIW, the $280 E-PL2 kit is via Cameta (and they have the E-PM1 for $330).

DH

19. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Yeah I would have to agree with the E-PL2 refurbished idea for a bit over $250. What a great deal! I have a Canon G11, which is similar to the S90, S95 etc. I would hate for this to be my only camera for my kids. Shutter lag is pretty significant and you're lucky to get 1 or 2 shots per second.

20. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm going to vote for a super-sensor compact, maybe an XZ1 or LX5. That kind of budget implies not buying lenses, and that makes an ILC a poor choice IMO.