What do you like to see in the G6?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by xdayv, Apr 9, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    With the rumors that the G6 is just around the corner to be announced soon, what are your expectations with the G6?

Based on what the G5 gives us, I would like to see G6 with a GH3 sensor (or better?). I don't mind the video, wifi and nfc features.

If they can keep 90% of what the GH3 can do in a smaller body, I will consider it.
  2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I'd like to see programmable minimum shutter speed for auto ISO.
  3. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    A mode that makes my pictures well composed...:) Seriously I just got my G5 and aside from the obvious better DR high ISO and AF that usually comes with an upgrade I think I'd like to see WiFi, better battery life and a detachable viewfinder that can operate wirelessly (I can dream)
  4. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    Faster flash sync speed. 1/250 or better.
  5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I want the rear dial to be in the exact position as my G2. Focus Peaking please! And bring back the cool colors, black is so boring.

I am looking to finally retire my G2, and I'm really anticipating the G6 to complement my G5 for a two camera setup.
  6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    pl 7-100mm f1.4 kit lens
  7. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    G6 Wishes

Improved sensor, faster sync, don't dumb down the external controls!
  8. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Given to me by Panasonic for recognition of my photography skills!:eek:
  9. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
  10. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Remote flash control like the Olympus and GH3. (I've got the 300R and the 600R now.)

I'm not completely happy with my upgrade from a G1 to a G3; so a bigger body than the G3 (at least G5 sized) and the EVF sensor missing from the G3. Better battery life never hurts. (These are assumed, but you never know.)

I think it's about time for a revamped UI, possibly more like a smart-phone, especially now that they've got a proper touch screen, but I don't expect that before the next major generation (G10?).
  11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    The G5 had some great features; the touchscreen AF, electronic shutter, the large grip, the rocker behind the shutter (though I would prefer a dial). I'd like to see it retain all these. I would add;

- Manual modes available for video shooting
    - Yes, I would like to see wi-fi connectivity, for easy upload to twitter, facebook etc using your phone. Otherwise I will just use my phone for photos I want to share!
    - Remote flash would be nice as the chap above said, seeing as I own a remote-capable flash.
    - The 16mp sensor that seems to be finding its way into all the m43 bodies.
    - Unlikely, but I'd like the viewfinder to be set into the body more like a rangefinder, similar to how Fuji and Sony do their EVFs, or the long forgotten L1.
    - More programmable buttons within easy reach while shooting.
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Maybe not a dream. Maybe it will have full remote tethering via smartphone like the GH3.

Aside from remote tethering, I'd like to see a faster rolling electronic shutter, and wi-fi, as well as all of the incremental upgrades to sensor, IQ, focusing etc.
  13. armoredpig

armoredpig Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2013
    Improved electronic shutter

Able to interface with my smartphone for time lapsing, remote LCD, viewing photos, etc.

Ability to accept a portrait grip

Remote cable jack on the left hand side

Sensor from GH3

Same size as G5

Capacitive touch as opposed to resistive touch

This would be a dream come true for me!
  14. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Me To
  15. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Better build quality. Reference: Oly E-620 class, not Rebel class.

SD card in its own door, not in the battery door.

Wireless flash control.

Nicer quality buttons on the back. Maybe even backlit like E-620.

Battery grip option.

I'm surprised how small this list is.

Did I mention build quality? Mine feels cheap because it was!

External mic input.

Improved AWB and metering.
  16. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    - Focus peaking, and preferably a better system than Sony's using.
    - Better write times, my G5 was a bit on the slow side.

These two would be the most important for me, but I can add a few more:
    - Improved sillent shutter, with less or no rolling effect...hard to do I know. Or a front curtain shutter, not so silent but silent enough and simpler to make.
    - External mic input.

That's all I need :p the rest can be exactly as the G5 was.
  17. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I want the G6 to feel like it is made out of materials that are better than plastics found in 1990's Korean cars. The only real disappointment I have with my G5 is that it doesn't have the quality feel of every Olympus camera I have owned.
  18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013

Is it really that bad? I am sorta planning on picking up a cheap G5 after G6 launch (unless G6 has must have upgrades)
  19. FernandoBatista

FernandoBatista Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    I really don't think the G5 is that bad, I had a lot of cameras from other manufactures (Nikon, sony, fujis, etc) and I don't see the G5 plastics any worse than the others. It even has a front aluminium plate, not plastic.

The only thing I'd change in the G5 construction is the thumb wheel, I could be much better, the rest is just fine as it is...JMHO.
  20. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I'm also surprised; Panasonic did a lot right with the G5 imo, I guess all we want is a tweak here or there. I don't expect build quality to improve as it is a mid-range camera, and they will also want to make it as light as they can. I was going to put mic input also, but then realised the chances of that are close to zero, as that would put in into competition with the GH line.